104K views 160 replies 94 participants last post by  Nudger 
#1 ·
RML don't seem to be listed in the shipping companies so perhaps I had
better start the ball rolling!. I was 3rd R/O on Amazon /GVVV
and Aragon/GVVT. I remember the Aragon was under the command of
Captain Fox. The 2nd R/O Jack Barter later was killed on the
Royston Grange/GFDU. I can remember a Chief Purser called Stroud
and another purser called Nigel Yeo. After that things get a bit
fuzzy!. Had lots of wonderful times in Buenos Aires.
Brings back many memories. Thy later transferred the RML A ships
to Shaw Savill. I have a picture of one converted to a hideous car
carrier.

#28 ·
Hi Royal Mail crew.

I was SOS on the Eagle Oil tanker 'San Gaspar' in 1949. On one of our trips we arrived in Rio de Janiero about March 1949 just after the Royal Mail ship Magdalena on her maiden voyage struck a reef at the entrance to Rio de Janiero harbour and broke in half. The stern half was beached but the forepart sank. Rumour had it at the time that it was a result of too much celebrating of her maiden voyage. Was that true?
Regards
Eric

#31 ·
Joined RML 1962 and served for 6 on Lock Gowan,Ben Blyth was the freezer and had a good voice and most attentive female company, in those days his profile was almost simular to the Capstan ciggie emblem,blown up full size head in the smoke room .all the girls thought it was him in the flesh. The Andes being my last ship with RML hard working keeping all the electrical staff very busy. Now permenently retired but still dream of the good and bad timezss. Gordon Paul

#36 ·
Mv Albany

Sailed on the MV albany as Junior Engineer 1969, my first trip to sea, Loaded Continient . For Renuion Island ,and back loaded madagasger /Renuion Island for europe Old Man came From Hull.Chief engineer ,Jo Richardson(Think That is correct) 4th engineer Jo Patrick From liverpool.Lecky Stuart Walker.
Roger Squires

#70 ·
mv albany

Sailed on the MV albany as Junior Engineer 1969, my first trip to sea, Loaded Continient . For Renuion Island ,and back loaded madagasger /Renuion Island for europe Old Man came From Hull.Chief engineer ,Jo Richardson(Think That is correct) 4th engineer Jo Patrick From liverpool.Lecky Stuart Walker.
Roger Squires
hi roger i was also on that voyage as deck boy, unfortunately i didnt finish off the trip. if you remember i was washed down the foredeck in rough weather and fractured my femur. ship had to turn back and i was put ashore in port elizabeth.

#39 ·
First 2 trips as 2nd R/O was on the Drina. Chief R/O was originally from Eilie in Fife, but lived in Liverpool. 3rd Mate thought he was some thing special,hardly spoke to me on both trips, but took great delight when he had to borrow 10sh on paying off in London, made him ask me twice.

#42 ·
Royal Mail/Furness

In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?
Thanks for any information you might have.

Dick Gorter
Netherlands

#44 ·
Lock Ryan RMS

In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?
Thanks for any information you might have.

;Dick Gorter
Netherlands
They Sailed with Buff Yellow coulour AS rms pACIFIC ENVOY NAMED Lock Ryan

#47 ·
Hi, I was the Assistant 'Chippy' on the Amazon in the early 60s. She also carried a Plumber and Assistant, good news for us ! The thought of 'Sanisnakes' and blocked toilets still makes me heave !! The 'A' boats were fitted with stabilisers that tended to give them less roll but didn't stop the pitching movement. Great times spent down on the South American coast well remembered.
Regards,
Robin.

#146 ·
Hi. I joined the Durango for my first trip in 1964. We sailed from KGV for a four month trip to Australia. We hit Brisbane, Melbourne, Townsville, Bowen and Cairns. I was 16 years old and was the Pantry Boy.
The comments concerning the Bosun brought back a flood of memories. I do do remember sitting on deck at night and watching the Bosun (never knew his name, or cannot remember it!), putting ships into bottles. Memories of him being a large guy, big hands and always wore faded blue shirts and pants, almost like a uniform.
This might be very general, however, if it is the same guy he also used to make bell ropes, with very fanciful knots. I did have one of his bell ropes for a number of years, but donated it to my then local pub in Sutton, Surrey., which was sadly demolished.

Does anyone remember the old bosun aboard Durango he was in her for years he used to build ships in bottles his name was as far as I remember Fred Walden great old boy best wishes to all hands Dave .

#49 ·
wrt Dickyboy #28: I rock-dodged in the Loch Gowan c.winter '65 as R/O. Your reference Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. struck a chord. I don't know if it this happened when I joined her in London or if it was in Hamburg a few days later. Having dinner I felt there was something unusual about the stewards, something distracting. They were very smart, accommodating and efficient waiters but there was something about their appearance that didn't seem right. Then I realised it was their hair , it seemed odd.
I was going ashore after dinner with the writer and while I was making my way down the accommodation to meet him I passed the saloon. As I did the door opened and two of the stewards came out both weighed down with make-up and wearing low cut, full-skirted colourful frocks. Their hair was back-combed and brushed up in the 60s bouffant style reminiscent of Dusty Springfield et al.
I have never forgotten this dramatic revelation.

#50 ·
Hi All,
I am looking for a John Wrake, a great uncle, who served in The Royal Mail Line until the early 1950's, I believe he was in the Alcantara in the war but can find no trace from 1947 to 1950 when he was a Master and had hoped to take command of the Andes but did not get it. Any snippits would be useful.

Thanks

#56 · (Edited)
I thought that Royal mail & PSNC were aligned. I sailed on one PSNC ship the Cienfuegos two trips. First we had a true 'fruit loop' Capt. which became apparent as we sailed down the Thames at night. I have mentioned it before on this site he was taken off in Panama & apparently sent home suffering a mental break down. He had a song he used to sing on the bridge which went "The working class can kiss my a...e as I have got the skippers job at last." Very droll for a Capt. ? He was a small man, short, always angry I recall. He also used to berate the 3rd so violently in front of the wheelman it was embarrasing & ususally over quite trivial matters too. The poor 3rd used to poop himself when the Capt. suddenly appeared on the bridge. Believe the C/O replaced him as Capt. from memory? She was not an overly happy ship on that trip. A No stepped ashore in Panama before they knew Capt. was gone. Once he was out of it things picked up. We went to Caribean, Central America & Mexico. 2nd trip was Caribbean & we went through a very serious cyclone. I remember going down to the docking bridge which was a interesting trip in its self as no deck safety lines set to get some pic's of the seas, enormous swells in lines with large white tops breaking way over our heads from the wind just amazing! We were rolling to an frightening degree so pretty hard to hang on all quite scary yet exciting to. It went on for at least two days as I recall? That, the former might have been my youth? Also did trip on Potosi more enjoyable. Richard

Attachments

#57 ·
I have a picture (in fact an unused post-card issued at Bradwell on Sea ) of what I believe are the Darro and Deseado both laid up in the River Blackwater there together with a Union Castle R Class rtefrigerated cargo ship. It is unusual in that Royal Mail Lines did not usually lay-up there. I wonder if anybody has any recollections of that time eg a slack period probably the early to mid 1960s

#64 ·
Hi All,
I was with RML between 1965-1966. Stood by Essequibo as relief lecky in Avonmouth during dockers' strike. First time I saw a stripper was in a night club in Bristol! Recalled to London. Rejoined her in Liverpool in Dec 1965 on PSNC charter to WCSA. Anyone remember the Yakko bar in Callao? Came home via Straits of Magellan and Montevideo. Master was John Anderson. Paid off Liverpool March 1966. Rejoined next trip where we were under charter to KNSM and had funnel painted in their colours. Carried three Dutchmen as supercargo. They brought their own beer with them! Master was James Holt. A certain Malcolm S was 3rd Officer. Paid off South Shields July 1966. They stupidist thing I ever did was to leave the company then. I have bitterly regretted it ever since.
Regards to all.
David Chambers
Co. Down
Northern Ireland

#68 ·
KNSM Charter

Greetings, The Master during the KNSM charter was Anderson. I remember how he did not let the Dutch Captain pay us a cash bonus at the end of the trip, instead it had to be paid through the company and therefore we had to pay tax on it. We did enjoy the Amstel beer though. I still have slides taken during the trip.

Malcolm S

#65 ·
busbar, Yackos was in Valpo not Callao must tell you. Best thing I ever did was to leave that Co, did two trips Cienfuagos & one on Picardy. Straits of Magellan sure are beautiful went through them both ways several times have some terrific slides I took of that Area. Have since sailed through them on a yacht too & even more spectacular. I have mentioned it before we had a Capt. on Cienfuagos who flipped his lid & taken off in Panama + a crew of Scousers who were not a happy bunch. 2nd trip on her was pretty good all interesting though they were not good feeders. Picardy OK but again scousers who seemed to not get on with each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.