Ships Nostalgia banner

Harry Smedmore Haysom

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tsell 
#1 ·
This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone out there in Royal Mail land know, or know of, someone whose memory stretches back to the 1920s?

If so then I'm looking for information about my maternal grandfather Harry Smedmore Haysom who according to family gossip was a sometime steward and/or chief steward on the Andes of that era and died at sea somewhere off Rio on 6 October 1927, aged 47. I believe he was buried at sea. By all accounts he was an addicted card player and the gambling that went with it, loved a drink and smoked like a chimney!

I was told by my mother that in those days Royal Mail would pay for families of senior sea staff (hence the chief steward tag) to go up to Tilbury and see their husbands before they sailed again - the family was from Hampshire.

Any help gratefully received thanks. Perhaps I should have gone to sea with Royal Mail instead of Ben and Bank lines!

#2 ·
Hello second cousin!

Dear Waighty

This is absolutely crazy, but I was just about to get some credits on 192 to enable me to get the address of Harry's granddaughter as I am a family history fiend and am trying to trace a number of relatives! I decided to search on Harry first, and your post came up.

My father and your mother were cousins, and she sent a condolence card to my mother when my father died. I do have a small amount of information about your Dad.

Not sure how we contact each other privately?

Best wishes

Your long lost second cousin!

#3 ·
Dear Waighty

This is absolutely crazy, but I was just about to get some credits on 192 to enable me to get the address of Harry's granddaughter as I am a family history fiend and am trying to trace a number of relatives! I decided to search on Harry first, and your post came up.

My father and your mother were cousins, and she sent a condolence card to my mother when my father died. I do have a small amount of information about your Dad.

Not sure how we contact each other privately?

Best wishes

Your long lost second cousin!
You can send a Private Message or an email, through this site. Click on Waighty's name and follow the prompts. He was last on site 26th August.

Cheers

Taff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.