Ships Nostalgia banner

My Line L+H

31K views 74 replies 37 participants last post by  samarah2 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I just thought I would like to post the photos of some of the L+H ships I was on. Long gone now I am afraid, but I will remember them for the rest of my life, great ships as far as I am concerned.

RAPHAEL, ROSSINI and RONSARD

Santos.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Santos,
Great looking ships and Here,Here to Zeldas` suggestion I for one would be most interested in knowing more about the ships, the company and your time there.
I used to have a photo of - I think it was the MV Romney taken in Liverpool around 1960-61. - as yet have not located it, she was one of the larger L.H. ships I think.MJ

#5 · (Edited)
Julian & Michael,

The Romney between the 50s and late 70s below was the Romney all her life. She was the Flagship of L+H. details below

Built: Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead
Gross: 8237 Net: 4980
Dimensions: 470 x 63.4 x 28.3 ft
Propulsion: 2 x Steam Turbine, 8,250 bhp by builder
Completed: 5/1952 as Romney for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd.
Sold: 2/10/1978 to Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane

Picture attached.

The last Romney of L+H was the following ship which I think Julian means :-

Built: Sunderland Ship Builders Ltd., Sunderland
Dimensions: 530.94 x 75.36 x 32.64 feet
Tonnage: Gross: 12214 Net: 7730
Propulsion: 4-Cyl S.C.S.A oil engine of 12,000 bhp by Doxford Engines Ltd., Sunderland
Completed: 6/1979 as Ruddbank for Andrew Weir's Bank Line
Purchased: 10/1983 by Lamport & Holts Ltd. and renamed Romney
Renamed: 1986 Lairg of Highvale Ltd., Lion Shipping Co., Hong Kong managers
Renamed: 1989 Napier Star 3 of Blue Star Ship Management
Sold: 1991 to Tamapatcharee Shipping Co., Hong Kong and renamed Tamapatcharee, Andrew Weir Shipping, Hong Kong managers
Sold: 1996 to South Asia Shipping Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Lady Rebecca

She was of a totally different design and if I remember correctly had all accomodation aft.

Reference the Raphael, Ronsard, Rossini and others, I will certainly love to tell you all about them in time to come.

Santos.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi Santos, Yes you are right, Julian and I have come to the conclusion that it was the 1952 built Romney that I saw in Liverpool, as I said to Julian, she was a striking ship to look at with rather a large funnel in proportion to her superstructure, but this did not adversely effect her good looks, I can quite understand why she was L+H Flagship.
The Romney in Liverpool was the only L+H ship I saw around the UK coast ports, was Liverpool the only L+H UK coastal port or did they go north of the border into Ron country?

#7 ·
Hi Mike,

Yes they went North into Ron Country, I went with them many times to load Barrelled whiskey ( hic ). K.G.V Glasgow was our normal berth up there. We had some hairy trips up and down the Clyde in thick fog. One trip we found our way down to the sea by hitting most of the buoys. The pilot tried to tell us he knew were we where by the sound the buoy made when we hit it.

I think that was the Teachers talking. Though I must admit the bongs did differ from time to time. The Chief Engineer thought we were doing it on purpose to annoy him.

We used to go to South Wales too and Ireland both North and South. Great times.

Santos.

#8 ·
Hello Santos, I sailed on the Raphael as A.B. in early 1974. One of the best trips I ever made, and a great bunch of lads. I sailed on the Raeburn as well, left Liverpool on September the 12th 1973. There is a story about her on my website. All the best, Tony Jones R867015.

#9 ·
Hi Tony,

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I had a soft spot for the Raphael, as I was lucky to sail with a great bunch of lads too. It was a nice mixed crew, Scousers, Welsh, Scots and even a couple of Irish lads all of them great characters it was a pleasure to sail with them. The crew stayed practically :)P) complete for about 4 trips which at 3 month trips was about a year. I will always remember the Raphael. Kind regards Santos.

#11 ·
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the Photo of Raphael, maybe I am biased but I thought the world of that ship. I thought you might like to know what happened to her.

She was completed in 07/1953 as Raphael for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd, having been built by Bartrams in Sunderland.

She was sold by Lamports in 06/1976 to Carnation Shipping Co., Limassol and renamed Pola Rika, then to Allegro Marine Co., Limassol keeping the same name

Sold again in 1979 via Paul Christianson, Naksov to Hemesa Shipbreaking, Gijon

(=|) Sadly demolition commenced: 30/05/1979.

Kind regards

Santos.

#12 ·
Raphael

Hi Santos

That name brings back memories- Agree Raphael was really happy ship, I did four trips as third mate 1963-1964. Master was a Capt Legg, small chap who was very good, and tolerated young third mates who thought they knew it all!I left to go for mates ticket and then moved on to other ships in the company. I have a good photo of the Raphael entering Coruna outward bound in September 1963. From memory we loaded dried cod for Brazil.
We also used to carry quite a lot of cattle and occasionally horses outward bound for breeding in Brazil, which if we did not have a cattleman the cadets used to look after, for a few extra bob. How things have changed.
When I can get use of a scanner I will put in photo of Raphael.

Regards

Georged

#59 ·
Hi Santos

That name brings back memories- Agree Raphael was really happy ship, I did four trips as third mate 1963-1964. Master was a Capt Legg, small chap who was very good, and tolerated young third mates who thought they knew it all!I left to go for mates ticket and then moved on to other ships in the company. I have a good photo of the Raphael entering Coruna outward bound in September 1963. From memory we loaded dried cod for Brazil.
We also used to carry quite a lot of cattle and occasionally horses outward bound for breeding in Brazil, which if we did not have a cattleman the cadets used to look after, for a few extra bob. How things have changed.
When I can get use of a scanner I will put in photo of Raphael.

Regards

Georged
Your mention of horses brings back memories of my trip on the Defoe in '64/'65 We built stalls on deck for the horses we picked up in BA, I think it was. Always thought that is was a strange cargo.
DDrennan

#13 ·
Brings tears to my eyes when I think of Raphael being broken up, I was in her in 1954 or thereabouts, what a happy ship she was and what a great crew we had, I was AB on her but the deck crew and down below crowd used to go ashore together, we were asked back for the next trip and I for one had my name down, but I think after the Bosun and the Chief Steward done their stock check they changed their minds, Never mind that was one row of houses they wouldn't be buying lol, there was a donkeyman on her named Peter Rice he was one good mate , I've tried to find him a couple of times ,he drank in the Salt Box in Litherland, but sad to say I could never contact him again

#14 ·
worked L&H 1973 Ronsard & Reaburn (EDH) posted picture in gallery of my transfer papers from one to the other Santos all in Portugese but if you can make it out it is self explanitory, Officially transfered in port, unofficially missed ship saved me from calaboosh?
Good Times (Hippy)

#15 ·
I have to say that Raphael and Rubens (Ex Siddons) were my favourites and it was my happiest time at sea on those two ships. Raphael kept the same crew for well over 12 months, which was four trips. It just shows what a happy ship she was everyone wanting to stay.

They may not have been big or plush but they were home and very happy homes at that, with great crews.

Chris.

#16 ·
I also sailed with Captain Legg, I think it was on either the Debrett or Defoe. As I remember, he was a bit of a carpenter, and had a workbench set up on the deck. I remember him carving a set of small oars, which he put at the C/Engineer's place at table, after one of the many breakdowns at sea. The Chief (Name of Ferguson) was not amused!
Cheers, Kevin Routledge.

#18 ·
Raeburn

jim barnes said:
worked L&H 1973 Ronsard & Reaburn (EDH) posted picture in gallery of my transfer papers from one to the other Santos all in Portugese but if you can make it out it is self explanitory, Officially transfered in port, unofficially missed ship saved me from calaboosh?
Good Times (Hippy)
I was on the Raeburn in 1973 as well, joined her as A.B. at Liverpool August 30th for two weeks around the land, then went deep sea on her on September 12th. Great ship and a brilliant crowd of lads. You can read about the trip here; http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/raeburn/raeburn.htm Regards Tony (Thumb)

#19 · (Edited)
diggo said:
I started as a deck cadet on the Raeburn Nov 72. I was also Uncert 3/0 on the Ronsard when she had the collision in Rio Grande du Sol I think about 1974 but old age brings on faint memories (K)

I was on the Ronsard in 1965 as a Cadet.

I hope it wasnt you who put that big hole in her bow Diggo.(LOL) Whoever it was did a good job. I saw her coming up the Mersey with half her bow missing, (EEK) that would be in the 70s, was that you Diggo ?

Was Captain Crebbin still the Marine Super, bet he was cross if he was.!!!!

Chris.

#20 ·
L & H

Your recent posts brought to mind a happening involving a shipmate who came from L & H. He had served his time from apprentice through to getting his Master's. However he realised that he would have to wait a long time for command with L & H so decided to take his Master's ticket and try elsewhere. I have posted the details of the story on the Mess Deck 'Funny Stories' thread.

Ron

#22 ·
Hi Bill,

I am afraid the only people in authority in the line that I knew of was :-

Captain Crebbin Marine Super
Captain Roberts ( Tab Nabs ) Deputy marine Super
Captain Dickson Cargo Superintendent

and good old John Sale in the Office at Bootle.

Chris.

#23 ·
Collision Ronsard 1974

Hi Santos
If you saw us coming up the river with half the bow missing, that was me!!!!
The Master was WA Wilson and we had a pilot on board at the time. The ship that hit us was the Victovich a Czeck Registered vessel. The super I am sure was still Capt Letham (Jester)

#24 ·
Hi Diggo,

Great stuff, I was sat in a steakhouse with my wife, on New Brighton Prom, watching the ships go by when, hey whats that, my old ship with half her bow missing sailing up the river.

Captain Wilson was my skipper on the Sheridan. I got on with him very well.

Chris.

#25 ·
sailed on the RUBENS in 57,9months contract west indies canada ,ch eng mr butcher capt mylcreest,after one trip they changed the crew and sent them home,after that it was all down hill food ect.junior engineers paid off as ELEC I was first in line to stand watch and do my own job.After many requests I paid off in Halifax,and came home on old SYLVANIA.ps the old tried to get me sacked.

#26 ·
sailed on the RUBENS in 57,9months contract west indies canada ,ch eng mr butcher capt mylcreest,after one trip they changed the crew and sent them home,after that it was all down hill food ect.junior engineers paid off as ELEC I was first in line to stand watch and do my own job.After many requests I paid off in Halifax,and came home on old SYLVANIA.ps the old man tried to get me sacked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.