Ships Nostalgia banner

Drina 1944 / Romanic 1966.

16K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  TABNAB 
#1 ·
I visited this site recently and saw a message asking for info on the old Drina, I've come back but can't see who posted it or where it is. Ken

#4 ·
Now yo've all got me confused! I was on ROMANIC for three years, having joined her for pre-sea trials in July 1954 and happily stayed until May 1957. She was built for Bolton Steam Shipping Co and was on long-term charter to Shaw Savill. Do I now understand that Shaw Savil created ANOTHER ROMANIC that was ten years older than my one?? I'd appreciate some further information if anybody can help. Doug H

#5 ·
We still have some problems but between you-all I trust we can sort it out - (I'd really like to anyway). According to the Riversea website quoted by Geoff (zelo1954), the Drina was built by Harland and Wolff in 1944 for Royal Mail Lines and then transferred to SSA in 1965 when she became ROMANIC. However, as George (GTinOZ) has pointed out, the Shaw Savill website has the DRINA built in 1965 and transferred to SSA in the same year.
Now as I well know, the SSA website also has the following history for 'my' ROMANIC: "Built for the Bolton Steamship Company in 1954, and it was intended that she be named 'RUYSDAEL', but while still building she was chartered by Shaw Savill & Albion on a seven year charter. As SSA ship names all end in 'ic', she was re-named and launched as the 'ROMANIC'. In 1961, her charter to Shaw Savill & Albion was over, she was returned to her owners who sold her to a Greek company who re-named her 'PLATE CLIPPER'."
So my question is: Is the DRINA that became ROMANIC the one that was built in 1944 or the one (if there was another) that was built in 1965?? and further, when DRINA was "transferred" to Shaw Savill, would that mean that she was crewed by Shaw Savill people or Royal Mail Lines people? ('My' ROMANIC was crewed by Bolton Steamship people, not Shaw Savill.) I look forward to any comments - Doug H

#7 · (Edited)
That picture of Romanic is the old Drina that my discharge book says I sailed AB in 1952. No doubt about it. A voyage to US West coast. Her official # in my discharge book is 169903

A not very pretty ship and a terrible steerer as I remember. I got picked up one night by a huge sea and landed badly, (across a set of bitts) giving me back troubles for many years after. When I struggled up to the bridge to tell the second mate that I had been hurt he said "well, you should look where you're going". Don't look for sympathy in those days. Happy days they were in spite of that kind of thing.

#8 ·
oldbosun said:
Maybe it was me Ken. I was looking for a photograph of her. The Drina photo that is in the website is a newer one. A newer Drina that is.
Go into the SSA site and click on Romanic , it looks like they have boobed with the build date. The newer Drina you mention was launched as the Cretic in 1953 and went to Royal Mail as the Drina in 1972 . Ken http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/shaw.htm

#34 ·
When i was in the old Essequibo in 1961 it was said that she had the lifeboats from the Magdalena how true that is i dont know i would imagine that as Essequibo was built around 1952 this may just have been a yarn Magdalena was in fact lost off Rio on the 25th april 1949

#11 ·
Following some discussion about ROMANIC several months ago, I have now scanned a painting of her done by 3rd Officer Dev Brewer in about 1955 or 56. It may not be up to the artistic standards of some postings on this site (particularly Jan's recent sailing ship calendar reproductions) but I like it and it has stood the test of time - having been on the bulkhead of my houseboat in a frame for the last 20 years!

Attachments

#13 ·
R58484956 said:
ss magdelena built 1949 17547 tons wrecked on maiden voyage off BA, anyone have news as to why ? very few people seemed to have heard of her.
B.A? Not Rio? My memory fades I must admit. I did sail a few years afterwards with the QM who was at the wheel when she grounded and he told me that it was pure navigational error on the part of the pilot trying a short cut.

He also said that there was plenty of time to pack their bags. Stewards even packed their bags with ships silver (Applause) . The bond was cleaned out too he told me. (Applause)

I always wondered if Maiden Voyage "high jinks" contributed. According to him there was extra drinking going on.

Very sad, she was a lovely ship. She could be seen with binocs for a long time after.
Same as "Graf Spee" laying outside of Montevideo. She was very visible for years afterwards I remember. She didn't sink totally. Matter of fact, the souvenir shops in Monte sold postcard pictures of her and boats used to take tourists out to her. Not to go on board though, just to circle around her.

These days it seems almost amazing to me when I think "Did I actually live through those times?" Times which are now history. Amazing says I mumbling to myself.

#15 ·
Bob

oldbosun said:
B.A? Not Rio? My memory fades I must admit. I did sail a few years afterwards with the QM who was at the wheel when she grounded and he told me that it was pure navigational error on the part of the pilot trying a short cut.

He also said that there was plenty of time to pack their bags. Stewards even packed their bags with ships silver (Applause) . The bond was cleaned out too he told me. (Applause)

I always wondered if Maiden Voyage "high jinks" contributed. According to him there was extra drinking going on.

Very sad, she was a lovely ship. She could be seen with binocs for a long time after.
Same as "Graf Spee" laying outside of Montevideo. She was very visible for years afterwards I remember. She didn't sink totally. Matter of fact, the souvenir shops in Monte sold postcard pictures of her and boats used to take tourists out to her. Not to go on board though, just to circle around her.

These days it seems almost amazing to me when I think "Did I actually live through those times?" Times which are now history. Amazing says I mumbling to myself.
It was indeed Rio with the rear part visible for a long while near the entrance to Rio, was a pity as it was a nice looking ship

#39 ·
Drina/mail

I sailed in her during the mid 1950's. Her main radio installation was experimental M/F and H/F transmiiters by Marconi Marine. She had been fitted as a convoy commodore ship and had an extra H/F radio telephone installation. She was also the only ship I ever sailed in which had a gyro repeater in the radio office. TABNAB.

#18 ·
Romanic

Thanks Doug H for Dev Brewer's painting of the Romanic. I sailed on her from December 1957 until mid 1959 - three great trips to New Zealand than it was back to Bolton's crappy old ore carriers again. Incidentally, Sir Frederic Bolton died a couple of months ago.

#19 ·
Drina & Durango

Just to complete the records
Drina built by Harland and Wolff Belfast yard number 1176 Launched 30th december 1943 delivered 25th July 1944 9789 gross tons.
Sister ship Durango yard number 1177 Launched 5th September 1944 delivered 20th December 1944 9806 gross tons. Both refrigerated cargo ships for Royal Mail Line.

#20 ·
Polarum said:
Thanks Doug H for Dev Brewer's painting of the Romanic. I sailed on her from December 1957 until mid 1959 - three great trips to New Zealand than it was back to Bolton's crappy old ore carriers again. Incidentally, Sir Frederic Bolton died a couple of months ago.
Greetings Polarum! I would have just missed you, having signed off ROMANIC in May 1957. Here is another one of Dev Brewer's paintings - more a cartoon really! - but it too, has stood the test of time. (I may have grown a beard at one time on ROMANIC but it was never THAT long! What d'you think?

Attachments

#36 · (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong (and I know you will !) but the Drina in the picture, I was a cadet on her, I thought ended her days under the red ensign still with RML and the later Drina was an ex SSL "I" or "C" class vessel?
The RML "D" boats were Deseado, Darro, Durango and the (drunken) Drina. As I recall the Drina was a happy ship and I enjoyed my time on her.

Malcolm

#22 ·
Dev Brewers art

Doug H said:
Greetings Polarum! I would have just missed you, having signed off ROMANIC in May 1957. Here is another one of Dev Brewer's paintings - more a cartoon really! - but it too, has stood the test of time. (I may have grown a beard at one time on ROMANIC but it was never THAT long! What d'you think?
Thanks Doug H for the cartoon. The name Brewer rings a bell. Would he have been a second mate on the Romanic. If so, I think he left the sea at the end of the trip to NZ and went to work in a bank in N Yorks.

#24 ·
Bolton apprenticeship

Hi Baltic Wall. This guessing game could be fun. Fortunately, I am not Colin! I remember an apprentice called Colin who had a big chip because he was originally rejected by the Royal Navy - we called him 'Lord Nelson'. I left Boltons early 1962 after a few trips as 3m on the Redcar - one of which included a mutiny of sorts. Did your folks run a pub in Stoke Newington?

#25 · (Edited)
Polarum said:
Thanks Doug H for the cartoon. The name Brewer rings a bell. Would he have been a second mate on the Romanic. If so, I think he left the sea at the end of the trip to NZ and went to work in a bank in N Yorks.
Dev Brewer was third mate in 1956 but I don't know what happened to him after he left ROMANIC. Here's a pic of him in June of that year.

Attachments

#26 ·
Baltic Wal said:
Polarum, when did you leave Bolton's? I started as Apprentice on Ribblehead Aug 59 and was on Romanic following year had misfortune to have Colin as senior apprentice. Chief Officer on Ribblehead was John Porter.
Greetings Wal: John Porter was 2/0 on ROMANIC in my time. Here's a pic of him on board in Wallaroo (Aust) in March 1957

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.