Ships Nostalgia banner

Drina 1944 / Romanic 1966.

16K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  TABNAB 
#1 ·
I visited this site recently and saw a message asking for info on the old Drina, I've come back but can't see who posted it or where it is. Ken

#27 ·
Polarum said:
Hi Baltic Wall. This guessing game could be fun. Fortunately, I am not Colin! I remember an apprentice called Colin who had a big chip because he was originally rejected by the Royal Navy - we called him 'Lord Nelson'. I left Boltons early 1962 after a few trips as 3m on the Redcar - one of which included a mutiny of sorts. Did your folks run a pub in Stoke Newington?
......and talking of apprentices, maybe you knew Philip Baylis? Here's a pic of him on ROMANIC in December 1955 - Philip on left, yours truly on right.
Shee-ert, I've just realised that was fifty years ago!

Attachments

#28 ·
Thats certainly John Henry, certainly had fun with him on the Ribblehead. Mind you he was a good Chief as far as apprentices were concerned, started us on Navigation early rather than treating us like slaves, plus overtime. Canl't remember the Masters name on the Ribblehead but his action caused a complaint by the NUS rep in Middlesbrough and an official apology from Mr. Arthur.

It was Colin Wilson, I was plagued with him throughout my life at sea, Ribblehead and Romanic, then with him on his first trip as third mate. Left Bolton's after and joined UBC, he was on the Ribera in Surrey Commercial and saw me on the B Sprite and decided they were a good company, and I sailed with him yet again.

Yes my parents had the Queen Victoria in Stoke Newington.

Have just moved to France so all my photo's are packed up, will be going through them when I get the chance.

#29 ·
Romanic

Doug H: Thanks for the photo of Dev Brewer whom I immediately recognised. I’m sure he went to work for a bank minus the beard. Chief Engineer Finden (leafy rural paintings) put a month’s wages on a horse in NZ. It did not win.

Baltic Wal: I heard that Colin Wilson was engaged to Grierson’s daughter. Lets hope he got the father-in-law he deserved. You and I sailed together on the Rievaulx with ‘Chatty’ Hamilton - three apps. I still have my diary. On 21st March 1961, I had to stay aboard in Cardiff - the last night in port so I was a bit down, but you brought me back a large bottle of lager and a bag of chips! What a good fellow you were. Happy days. Tony

#30 ·
Hes he did marry her. Went through his service with Oil and water doesn't mix so how he got on with his father in law I'll never know. He wasn't offered another job with UBC due to a row with an engineer.

1961 was my first of two spells on the Rievaulx, came off the Romanic early Jan 61 then onto the Rievaulx. Not sure if that was the spell when we went down to Port Elizabeth where the ore was all loaded by hand. Will post a photo of her entering B'head with me on the break of the fo'csle.

#32 ·
Romanic - ocean greyhound

I was the someone who had varnished the bridge telegraphs and I did it three times a year, but the real culprit was Donald MacAllister - one of life’s better chief mates. Attached is a cutting from a Glasgow paper when the Romanic delivered jet propulsion to the Govan ferry.

Attachments

#33 ·
I was the someone who had varnished the bridge telegraphs and I did it three times a year, but the real culprit was Donald MacAllister - one of life’s better chief mates. Attached is a cutting from a Glasgow paper when the Romanic delivered jet propulsion to the Govan ferry.
i was in lyttleton in nz . in mid 1961 does anyone know if romanic would have been still with shaw savill at that time i was in the mystic i still remember an old ship laying astern of us with shaw savill coulors from what i remember we where told she used to take best part of 7 weeks to get out there

#35 ·
sailed in drina21jul-8oct62,the most painted ship I ever sailed on,hit the lock wall leaving kg5,length of metalwork got stucin the hull,back in for repair,i worked with the chippy,in cold chamber,fine fibre glass matting between outer hull & inner insulation,paid off in Antwerp after trip.

#38 ·
This is the Romanic I joined in 1966, we took her to Belfast for dry dock and then layby for further work for 2 months. I then left and joined Iberic.
Romanic, the bosun was Dave Wade (Aussie) lampy Roger Brown a Londoner the remainder of the deck crew, engine room and catering were from Belfast. Met up with them in NZ

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/ferrandou/media/Romanic_zpsoqndjm4y.jpg.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.