Ships Nostalgia banner

Royal Mail Line

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  R396040 
#1 ·
I joined the merchant navy at 14, a dare from my older brother.
I sailed on Royal Mail Line between 1949 till 52. I was a steward and my name name was Harry (tommy) Tucker. almost sailed on the Magdalena

#4 ·
the first RMS was the Almanzora, Highland Chieftain and the Highland Princess
Thanks for reply Harry. Worked by one of the Highland boats inKGV once. Ones I saiked on though were Loch Garth my first trip, then in next couple of years Drina and Durango and very old Gascony. Enjoyed all trips and liked RML but my first ten years at sea was about seeing the world and I swapped companies and ships regularly. Settled down later.
Stuart

#7 ·
In my November issue of Sea Breezes there is an article called "Ships we forgot to Remember" and it mentions the four Royal Mail Loch boats. Very interesting to me as Loch Garth was my first trip to sea way back in 1947. What a great trip as first voyage, West Indies ,Panama and on up thewest coast of US and Canada, runs ashore in nearly every port what more could a young lad ask for ? Later sailed on Drina,Durango & the very old Gascony,
Stuart H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.