Ships Nostalgia banner

Memories of a Ben Line Man

17K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  STUART.EDMOND 
#1 ·
Hello All former Ben Line Men and others interested.
My book has now been published and is available through publisher, Bassman Books. The Publisher's site is: http:// www.russellturner.org/benline.asp

We have tried to keep the price modest, and UK price with P&P is only £10. I hope those who buy will find that it brings back memories, mostly fond I hope!

Regards to all.
Stuart

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Stuart,
Received your book this morning looks great and had a quick look see, It is ironic that you mentioned your fellow cadets at Leith and low and behold i had sailed or worked with three of them. Tom MacKenzie (better known as Tam the ram we sailed maiden voyage on wyvis and Tam was 1/o he wanted ships parties in every port and yes we had them all play no sleep. I remember him and I coming back from Nursies home in Wanchai in the same walla walla boat for the start of work at 0600. Tam left us when containerization came in and joined MISC as master but I understand he died of a mysterious virus.
Fraser George Walker I sailed with him for a year on the Valla he was 1/o ,He stood bye the Benalder in Hamburg as C/o, did one voyage then came ashore as Trio Tonnage coordinator at the HQ in Shoreditch London . He was there to the end. I see him and his wife Louise when I go to the smoke, he lives in Radlett . I will ring him and let him know about your book, he used to live in Crammond and his father was master with Northern Light vessel. Now then Willie Wood was just one hell of a character, I worked with him in Edinburgh No 10 and St Bernard St we used to go to lunch together , He lived at North Berwick and after demise of Ben I think he went taxi driving but I had heard he had died, I know Willie was not a well man laterally ,but what a laugh and sense of humor.
Finally R/o Ian Fraser I sailed also with Ian on the valla till the last voyage I was there when he took a heart attach whilst we were lying at the bar off Bangkok waiting for a spring tide to get us up river ,we were 32'.we had to wait for a black gang to come down river as it was a religious holiday and no undertaker would come down. They sent a fishing boat and four tea chests joined together as a makeshift coffin. We kept him in his cabin turned all the AC off to the rest of the upper decks and taped the door . I had to go over the side to lower Ian into the coffin and put the lids on as this gang would not touch him. We had a cremation and service in Bangkok for him and buried him at his wife's request off the Paracell islands on the way up to HK.
Well Stuart I am sure I will enjoy the book, Have you sent one to Mr William Thomson, He will enjoy reading it I am sure of that.
Take care keep her steady.
Rgds Ian.

#9 ·
memories book

Hello Ian,
Delighted to hear from you and that the book is already prompting memories! I am so pleased to have all the information you have posted on Big Tam Mackenzie( He asked me to be best man at his wedding, but I couldn't make it- I think the girl was from Worthing or thereabouts), Fraser Walker(whom I met a few years ago at a re-union in South Queensferry). He and I were at Portobello High together too. Sad to hear of passing of Willie Wood. I had heard that he was a taxi-driver in N Berwick. He had a wonderful brain too!
I was very sad to hear also of Ian Fraser's death in such ghastly cir***stances. I think I can still smell the wafts of his Balkan Sobranie tobacco. What a lovely man he was.

Let me know the verdict on the book. It sounds as if you have the material for several
I have sent an email message with link to E G Thomson address. I had told him previously of my plans.
Kind regards and holding her steady on course!
Stuart

#10 ·
Hi Stuart
Excellent read, and although I was some 11 or 12 years astern of you in the system, not too much had changed over the period. Several of the names you mentioned were still around, often in higher rank, and I served on at least three of the vessels you voyaged on.

Regards

Roddy

#12 ·
I have just ordered your book. Maybe it will let me see what I missed by not joining Ben Line. I applied for a Junior Engineers job when my time was out way back at the end of 1961. - I applied again when I got my 2nd's Ticket in 1966.
The letters of rejection were identical !
Could it be I was a Glaswegian and those from the so called capital at the wrong end of the M8 motorway do not really care for us? To add insult to injury my neighbours either side of me here in Aberdeen were engineers with Ben Line. There is no justice

Jim S

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Stuart
Read the book over the last week since I received it and it brought back memories. Good description of what it was like for someone doing their first trip to sea and to the Far East and the changes it made to their personality and attitudes. The gradual separation from your friends who had stayed at home as they did not understand the things you knew and the fact that you had become fitter and more confident. Lots of people that I sailed with over the years mentioned as well.
I think I said before that I thought I had sailed with you on Benvrackie but I know after reading the book that in fact it was on Benvorlich , I was second Electrician on Tommy Barr's first trip as master, with a mention on I think page 162 that we had an ice cold beer together before dinner on a stressful day and that I accused you of writing a book.
The section on leaving the company was also interesting an I enjoyed my time at sea for a while but realised that eventually I had to move ashore to do something with my life. I did a correspondence course with the seafarers Education Service then went to college to get additional qualifications. John Maul in the Crew Department was very helpful when I moved ashore.

Dave

#14 ·
memories book

Hi Dave
Well its a small world! How nice to know that the book has reconnected me to a former shipmate. I have to confess that I cannot see you in my
mind's eye, but perhaps knowing your second name ring that bell?

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. I think others will find connections there too.

You seem to have done very well after coming ashore, and I am impressed by all these letters after your name. I still keep in touch with Nigel Johnston, a retired GP living outside Edinburgh. I shall think of you in Rosyth next time I am crossing the Bridge - if it opens!

Stuart

#18 ·
Hi Stuart,
I spoke with Mr Williams Pa today and to mention about your book, She said she has bought one already and had sent it down to him as he is off recovering from a hip operation. So no doubt he will have some good reading. I ws never sure if Mr William ever did a voyage to familarise him with seagoing business like his cousin young Bill Thomson..
So far the reading is very good it takes you back into those heady days ,like trying to clean rust and tar dust off your every bit of skin before you go into the saloon in whites. I remember how ever hard you scrubbed or what ever soap you used the yellow muck oussed out of your pours when you were asleep and the next day the pillow and sheets were yellow/brown and not from the dheli belly . Great times. Ian

#24 ·
Hi Ian,
Many thanks for information about Mr William. When I was 3rd Mate on Vrackie c 1957, we carried Sir Douglas, Lady Thomson and a daughter from HK to Singapore. He came up to bridge one night during my watch and had a chat. I think the "Old Man" was asleep in his chair under the Bridge!
I hope Mr William enjoys the book. Thanks for your support: I warmly reciprocate your Christmas Greetings.
Stuart

#25 ·
memories book-comment from Jim Morrison,NZ

I have just started the book ( page 26 so far) and can relate to every detail you have written...especially the description of the watches....farmer, lookout, standby etc.
Four years ago I "swallowed the anchor" at age 71 after 48 years of seafaring...How things have changed!!!! I joined a 179,000 ton ore carrier out of Aussie running to China....19 of a complete crew, i was on watch you came on at 8pm and stayed there till midnight smoke-oh on the bridge and you called your relief by phone to his cabin. Many more changes for the worse, and a lot to be said for The good old Ben boat days.
I was transported back in time while reading the book and vividly remember standing on West India dock, with my cardboard fibre suitcase, gazing up in awe at a towering grey wall studded with rivets on the heavy lift Albanach ( built 1946) with 3 massive 120 ton jumbos waiting for their lifts. What an eye opener and introduction for a first trip "Peggy"
Wishing you all the very best
Jim.

#26 ·
I am now about half way through your book Stuart and wow you have brought back so many memories to me. Even though I was about 10 years after you every thing was about the same. Coasting before deep sea, good and very bad masters and chief officers, usually good crews, sailing on Bencruichan, same ports, football matches, movies,field days usually double, changing for meals (bugger), lack of beer unless you had a friendly junior engineer, masters not wanting to use a radar because they knew nothing about them, polishing brass, and great nights in Bankok and the Philipines, etc etc!
Well done wish you had some more photos.

#27 ·
memories book

Hello Jim,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the book and that it has taken you back to your first glimpse of the towering wall of a Ben boat in the West India Dock.

I have had many other similar comments: I hope the rest of the book will evoke- or provoke- many similar good memories.

Regards
Stuart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.