Ships Nostalgia banner

Combi Microwave/Grill

6K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Ray Mac 
#1 ·
I have never used this device, so please excuse my ignorance, but can any member inform me if it is necessary to remove the metal grill tray prior to switching to dual grill/microwave role. Probably some one with a cook's extra ticket (with microwave endorsement) would be best qualified to answer this question and avoid sparks flying . The instruction booklet gives no guidance.
(Smoke)

#2 · (Edited)
No problem just leave it in. It is what it is designed for it will be well earthed down and it has no pointy bits so there will be no sparks.

It should be pointed out that in the past I have put everything from lit candles to propane filled balloons in microwaves so I do consider myself something of an expert on microwave destruction. The local second hand shop stopped selling me them fopr a while. However in all honesty the shelf will be fine. try candles in upside glasses for truly amazing plasma light show*

*best viewed from at least 20 meters away (Thumb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7RFyh5ABcQ&feature=related

#4 ·
this might help

The microwave ovens which are sold with a metal rack are combination
ovens which have a 'browning' feature.

"Why metal rack can be used in the combination mode?

In the combination mode, the microwave is used only for a short
duration in the microwave mode when metal rack cannot and shouldn't be
used. The rack has no sharp edges and the gap between the rods of the
rack is large enough to prevent sparking and to allow the microwave to
pass through.

Please note the grill rack is only to elevate the food to come closer
to quartz heater element for faster browning."

The above quoted explanation is from Bajaj Electricals - FAQ's On
Microwaves
( http://www.bajajelectricals.com/faq/microwavefaq.htm )

When you are just microwaving, then remove the rack. While the
sentence from the website above is rather vague, the meaning is quite
clear, the rack is for browning and any exposure to microwaves is
minimal at best.

Your combination setting may look something like this:
Combination cooking (30% microwave plus 70% grill - or - 55% microwave
plus 45% grill)- it is used only for recipes which require both
microwave for cooking/ baking and grilling for browning.

As for damage to the magnito, if you operate an empty oven, there can
be damage. The microwaves, after reflection from the empty, cavity
will fall back on the magnetron to affect its life and will lead to
magnetron failure. Food in the oven absorbs the microwaves and
protects the magnetron. Once again, don't have the rack in when just
using the microwave.

Search - google
Terms - metal rack +in microvave ovens, combination microwave ovens

mike
ps copied and pasted from one site

#7 ·
Doesn't have to be magnetic just conductive and pointy/ edges

Slightly crushed aluminium foil also gives a pretty darned spectacular light show*

*best viewed from 10 meters away and not using your mothers microwave(Thumb)

#8 · (Edited)
A bar of soap is fun as well and pretty safe providing you let the results cool down

and condoms - not so safe though

don't do ping pong balls - they actually explode

#9 ·
Slightly crushed aluminium foil also gives a pretty darned spectacular light show*

Not even that there are no sharp edges ... I used a fancy china plate a while back, spectacular display ... the plate rim and edge is red with gold paint, under the glaze. It still sparked brilliantly. No sharp edges there. I do not know what the common factor is.

#10 ·
Very thin stuff works as well, I think it because it cracks slightly and you get your edges that way - if I could recommend a compact disc as a good example of this , I find any boy or girl band ones work best

#20 ·
Strangely one of the things i seldom do is to use one for cooking - i just cant seem to get good results food wise

#23 ·
Be assured John, Binnacle is still studying and evaluating the advice given by kindly members (the warranty still has eleven months to run). However a test using an ex radar magnetron has made me question the advice given by at least one member, as my grill tray is indeed magnetic. I may, using an extension cable, carry out a tests in the back garden, meanwhile I will continue to read all advice given and note so far nobody has reported any micro meltdown. My household insurance, both structure and contents have been obviously checked for validity in the event of a mishap..

#17 ·
It was just a phase I went through - also about 20 microwaves. Actually looking back some of it was extremely dangerous.

It all went by the board when i discovered the joys of liquid nitrogen.

and no i didn't use a fork on the toaster - thats nuts

Was it one of the 'Evil Genius' books Kev - I have the whole series

#18 ·
Was it one of the 'Evil Genius' books Kev - I have the whole series

Now why does'nt that suprise me SM.
As troubled kids my mates went through a fertilizer and gunpowder thing (kindly supplied by one of the lads who worked at a local quarry), they had a local rebel sort of movement going, saw themselves a sort of Che Guevara meets Swampy and during training excercise down the local woods in preparation for the 'revolution' my mate managed to blow three fingers off his left hand. True.
It did galvanize him into learning to play the guitar with his right hand though which I must admit he's pretty dammned good at.

#19 · (Edited)
they are smashing books look them up.

oddly i never got into chemical explosives in a big way - however my liquid nitrogen BLEVE bombs are famous as is my liquid oxygen soaked charcoal - my barbecues go to 11

#22 ·
When I was a Lad I used to knock around with a lad nicknamed Bunny, can't remember his name now. He carried out some experimentation with one of the old porcelain ink wells from school and gunpowder and a fuse from Standard Fireworks 3d bangers. Blew his left eye out, later in life when we used to go the Cavern, Mardi Gras and the Iron Door in Liverpool. He would sometimes remove the glass eye, if he was'nt get anywhere with a young lady. He was a scream, literally(Jester)

#24 ·
Bang goes another theory. (Sad)
Our microwave is just that and nothing else, our last was a dual purpose but never got used (the Memsahib prefers the gas cooker), so our replacement didn't need to be anything other than a basic model.
I'm basically "Can't cook, won't cook" so the most adventurous I get is a cup of soup in the μwave.
Having checked, I found that the "Stainless steel interior" is, in fact, magnetic. It must be something to do with a stainless steel plating or something.
It's all about not sustaining eddy currents. (?HUH)

#26 ·
Quite a lot of stainlesses are magnetic to a degree, but its all to do with points of voltage concentration which then breaks through the fizzle factor causing the shazzam effect to come into play which then ramps up the Suddenly Brown phenomena

#28 ·
The usual ones are the austentic stainlesses 304 and 316 where 304 is slightly magnetic 316 is not magnetic.

Considerably more to it than that of course but the magnet rule is a good one on the whole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.