Anchor Line Glasgow - Ships Nostalgia
02:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anchor Line Glasgow

User Tag List

Old 24th August 2005, 10:28

Question Anchor Line Glasgow

ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND.
Old 24th August 2005, 12:55
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome PK,you are now amongts the the sea loving fraternity, although it seems most of us left it a few years ago, but only physically, our minds are still there.
Old 24th August 2005, 20:52

Welcome PK to SN,
Hope you enjoy the site and feel sure there are members who will be able to assist you - may even be an old shipmate around.
Old 25th August 2005, 06:59

Thanks Senior member and Mike , I might strike lucky,though there is a lot of water through the engine room since 1954.
PK.
Old 26th August 2005, 14:31

A memory of the Anchor Line in Glasgow:the houseflag at the East end of Yorkhill Quay taken in the 1970s when it was still quite legible.
Faded away over the years and now is covered by a hoarding for one of the many companies occupying the sheds nowadays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnchorYorkhill.jpg (56.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 26th August 2005, 20:14

Paul,
A bit of history covered up, but at least it still exists at the moment, for how much longer - until some developer comes along I suspect ? Every year goes by I get more cynical.
Old 22nd October 2005, 21:15

Say Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKiddell
ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND.
Hello PK I made my first trip deep sea on the Egidea. That wass on the Suez crisis when she was comandeered by the government. I signed on for the following trip as she resumed the Bombay run. Don't remember the engineers but the e/r storekeeper was John Docherty , the old man was Wille Mc Vicar and the mate was a hard man by the name of Mclarty. I was a mere DHUand was the sailors peggy , were you there? Joesoap
Old 22nd October 2005, 23:27

My location
Welcome to SN it seems already you are getting some feedback, I hope you enjoy yourself here.
Old 23rd October 2005, 18:00
saltie

Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false
Old 1st December 2005, 21:55

My location
PK I sailed with a Chief Engineer Henderson , on, I think it was the Exmoor in the late 70's which might have been the same guy. At this stage iI didn't know who I was working for Anchor line or Runcimans.
Old 1st December 2005, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbonde
Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false
Its true always plenty of spare whisky on the NY run care of dockers and anchor Line.(Sidonia)

Last edited by Robinj; 4th February 2006 at 21:09..
Old 2nd December 2005, 00:09

My location
Egidia not my first ship,however sailed on the following with Anchor Line ,Exmoor x 2,Caledonia x2,Hazelmoor, Calabria x 2 and Eucadia. Left Anchor line 1980 when they stated selling off most of their ships.
Did experience the bombay trips or ofcourse it is now got a fancy new name.
Firey
Old 2nd December 2005, 21:24

My location
Any old Anchor line guys remember a chief engineer Jimmy Meikle.

sailed with him a couple of times when he joined Denholms.
Used to tell us that his baldness was caused the the proximity of the
upper bunk when entertaining female passengers on the lower bunk.

He was a great chap - everyone from the Master down was "hey thingmy".

Still have his receipy for "Meikle's clooty dumpling".

JC
Old 2nd December 2005, 23:58

My location
JC

Most name escape me now but I can remember a notable indvidual "Wacker Duncan" who was a 3/e at the time and I can remember he lived in Gourock. He always referred to his wife as the bint. Sailed with him in 1977, I don't know if this was your era. The old man at the time was John Swan.
Regards
Firey
Old 3rd December 2005, 11:05

My location
firey,

Never sailed with Anchor line, but always with Denholms which was where I sailed
with Jimmy Meikle. Always lived in Gourock but don't remember a 3/e Duncan.

JC
Old 31st December 2005, 09:44

Hi Janbonde, during my time on the Egidia we did the whisky run to New York then down to Baltimore to load wheat for the U.K. and like you were told cargo whisky flowed freely curtesy of the wharfies and the Highland deck crew. One trip on arrival at New York the cargo assessors refused to allow No.1 hold to be unloaded due to the pillage , and that might have been the trip that we arrived back at Yorkhill with the crew still drinking t0he stuff. Good smugglers!!!
Old 31st December 2005, 09:56

Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.
Old 31st December 2005, 10:06

Hi Joesoap, luckily didn't do out East on the Egidia,but remember well the time we spent alongside Bombay on the Cilicia,it was work from 6am to midday then off to Breach Candy ( not sure of the spelling) for the afternoon, then the ultimate an evening at the mission for a warm beer, because of prohibition I think we were only allowed one beer.. Still it was all a great experience and good to look back on.
Old 31st December 2005, 16:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKiddell
Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.
PK

It sound like the same chap he was a charming guy .When I sailed with him (1977)he had his wife with him but during the trip he didn't keep the best of health 4 months anchored off Iran did't help.
Firey
Old 19th January 2006, 23:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1969

Anchor Line

I was a passenger on the Circassia in 1956.
Good feeder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circassia.jpg (30.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 31st January 2006, 22:33

Egidia

My dad sailed on the Egidia and relates the Whisky Galore saga, including being put into No.1 Hatch to secure some of the liquid gold.
Old 1st February 2006, 14:24

My location
Hi Helen,

When did your dad sail with Anchor line. If you do a search in the gallery you will find a photo of her . It may not be the same one but youy provide dates the lads on the forum with the expertise will find the right one.

Cheers

Firey
Old 1st February 2006, 22:33

I have typed reply twice. Can't get sense out of computer tonight. H
Old 1st February 2006, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by firey
Hi Helen,

When did your dad sail with Anchor line. If you do a search in the gallery you will find a photo of her . It may not be the same one but youy provide dates the lads on the forum with the expertise will find the right one.

Cheers

Firey
3rd time lucky - will keep short. Dates: 4.1.60 - 21.3.62. My dad did picture folder with all ships sailed on. People mentioned: Captains: McVicar, Thomson, Colquhoun, Ramage, Henderson, Purser: McSherry and Third Mate: Dave Tripp (life long friend after). H.
Old 4th February 2006, 21:14

Smile

Hi Helen, I did my first trip to sea on the Egidia Dec. 1961 to Mar 1962 as 2nd R/O. Skipper was Alf Colquhoun, Chief R/O was P.J. Kelly. The name Dave Tripp rings a bell buts thats all.