Ships Nostalgia banner

Booth Line

110K views 267 replies 62 participants last post by  Challisstern 
#1 · (Edited)
deleted

#59 ·
Folks, I love reading this forum - I didn't realize how many Maggie Boothers there are out there. I spent a great year on Viajero on the Amazon in 66/67 and before that on Devis on the Brazzie coast. If anyone has time, take a look at my posts at www.mike-williamson.blogspot.com.au I would love to hear from any of you. I'm trying to track a few of my old shipmates down, but so far no deal. I know a few of them like Frank Stinchcombe (The Saint) and John Cullimore are no longer with us - and I suspect that this is sadly true for a few more of 'em. If you like my posts - please leave a comment on the site - I'd love to hear from you - and keep the great posts coming.

#60 ·
Hi Mike, as you will have noticed I too was on Viajero but a bit before your time so I'm no help with your shipmates. However, your blog and accounts are brilliant . So accurate and bring back many happy memories. I'll read all again when I've got some time off which happens to be not now! (Thumb) Thanks for posting.

#61 ·
Hi Mike...Just missed you on the "Viajero", I relieved John Needham in August 1967 for 12 months. Previous year I joined the "Veras" in Hamburg during the lengthening before sailing in February back to the Amazon service. John eventually married the girl he had been courting from Brooklyn, some of the "V" boats were laid up in Brooklyn for a while and I think John spent a lot of time there. I personally think we should think of having a reunion for all Booth Line river-men...it was an experience of a lifetime, I spent 15 years on the Amazon run before being moved to the Lamport South American run; which I enjoyed as well.

#63 · (Edited)
MIke I just read your blog wonderful envious of your trips with Booth as I had the opportunity to do that on the Basil but took a Beaver boat instead for two trips, why I am not sure after all this time. But did do the Sth American trips with BSL B.A. Montevideo through the Magellan Straits to Valpo, Callao, Illo, etc & back a few times. So many stories, so many great shipmates if some even by those days a bit loopy :) Also did one trip on a BA Flyer. I have tried to get a picture of the Basil to no avail, my mate who did the trip said he had one but has not been able to locate it sadly & can find out zero on her via the net. Ironicly I wound up the jnr project manager of Illo's huge open cut copper mine as my first job out of London Uni where I went when I left the sea, small world huh? Richard

#65 · (Edited)
Leratty, Hi
Picture of the "Basil" on the Blue Star site: I sailed on her as the "Dunstan". I was Master on the "Belloc" in 1980/81 on a Chilean National Line charter, we called in Illo a lot on our travels, really enjoyed that run from the Continent via Punta Arenas, Magellan Straits and the West Coast and sometimes coming down the other way round
Regards Lloyd.

http://bluestarline.org/booth/dunstan4.html

#67 · (Edited)
Hi Foca what an adventure, JC I was on the Warkworth a Dalglesh vessel & a bloody good looking ship too as well as a happy one. She was pretty new & she was seized by Le Sheriff akin Berwell Adventure. Writs all over the wheel house doors, it was in Three Rivers or Sorel Quebec around 64 I think? We had to anchor off in the mighty St Lawrence, still remember what we saw caught on the anchor cables in the morning :) What an amusing trip that was & much longer than expected too not that it worried me as I got to taste my very first pizza & enjoy the company of one or two French Canadian Damsel’s, oh la, la!
Yours sounded a lot worse but still I suggest amusing as well as an experience you would not have missed? Richard

#69 ·
Focca I was well out of Illo by then job done & dusted. Went from there to Jamaica as snr Project manager putting in a bauxite mine for Kaiser. The money was embarrassing for one in their early 20's, A/H 300 mk3 in Baltimore, nice apartment nice lady friends, money in the bank. No way that would have happened if I had stayed at sea ): I tell you the mining industry was easy as amusing as the sea on the WCSA, some truly memorable people who took life by the horns & shook it. The places we worked were often in a word different! Bloody good times as with those at sea, strong bonds between us all & still friends with quite a No around the world too. Richard

#70 ·
Black Muddy River roll on forever!

Hi Boothers and Laurel & Hardy fans, I've just posted my last and final chapter in my Viajero and Amazon saga. Not sure how to link it, but please check it out at http://mike-williamson.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/black-muddy-river-roll-on-forever.html. If you like it, please leave a comment. Matter of fact, if you don't like it, leave one as well - I can take it!
Thanks to Foca on the update on a couple of characters. Anyone wants to organise a reunion sometime, while we're all still kicking - let me know!
Keep that lantern swinging
Mike

#73 ·
I was the assistant purser onboard the Hubert for two years 1962 until 1964 when she was renamed.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce, seem to remember the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.
The two years I had on the Hubert were the best years I ever spent at sea, I think that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.

#76 ·
John T,

I only served onboard the Hubert for two years and in that time I believe that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.
The Pursers dept was Alfie Boyce, Purser - Glyn Rowlands, Snr Asst Purser and myself as Junior Asst Purser, I joined at 18 years of age and left at 20. I had been transferred from Blue Star Line (Argentina Star) as the Hubert urgently required an Asst Purser.
I did have a nickname on the Huber which was "Freddie'.
I actually did one voyage with LOF on the London Valour and left around a week to 10 days prior to the disaster.

#77 ·
Thanks for that Ysgolfach. Think they both worked on the cargo ships, both great characters.

The "London Valour" tragedy was before my time with the company but it has come to mind lately with the Costa Concordia trials beginning. I met the 2nd Mate from the Valour, a Cardiff lad, and he was the "last man standing", so to speak, and, as far as the Italian authorities were concerned, it was down to him! Luckily he'd left the country by then, but he couldn't return to Italy because he'd have been thrown in prison. If more folk had died, the Italians would have worked their way down the crewlist to find someone to pin it on.

Thanks again and welcome to SN.

John T

#81 ·
Nice to hear from you......I too have many fond memories of the Amazon, more or less left in the early seventies and transferred to the Lamport and Holt run Rio, BA, Montevideo run, until we were taken over by Blue Star Ship Management.
Made redundant in 1982, Worked in the Gulf for a while, then a spell on the coast with Arklow Shipping until I took over command of the Research Vessel for UCNW and I was there till I retired in 1997.

#84 ·
Hi Trotterdotpom, I sailed with a fredie archer ch/twd on theSalamanca psnc I was his 2nd stwd nov 59 to june 60 couldit be the same, he was one hard man. I also made 3 trips on the Hilary up the amazon march54 to nov 54 catering
dept another happy ship, lots of tales nobody would believe Pete barlow

#87 ·
Arthur Louis Halsall

Phill,
Im trying to find out which vessel (s) my late Dad sailed on with M.Booths.
All I know is he "ran away" to sea -dont know when. Mum ( sadly passed away too) said he sailed up the Amazon. His name was Arthur Louis Halsall from Liverpool. He was very young -could have been a gallley hand .
Ask your Dad if he came across him please
Thanks
Roy Halsall.

My father was on the "Dunstan" back in the 50s, just wondering if anyone else did a trip on her, my father to this day has a lovely photo of her on his hallway wall along with other ship photos he worked on.My Father has loads of good stories, but unfortunately cannot navigate a computer yet, I am trying to persuade him to get a pc and join this fantasic forum.

regards
Phill[/QUOTE]