Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

280K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#555 ·
Globtik Tankers

Yes there were two, the Globtic Mercury and I can't remember the other one at the minute. G.Mercury ran from Lake Maricaibo Venezuela to Portland Maine on a Texaco charter and after we half wrecked the Gotaverken engine we limped back to Amsterdam for drydock and to give her back to the Norwegians, spent 11 happy months on her as 4th, all for a purpose to get my sea time in for my 2nd's ticket. Grey matter is working, other one was Globtic Saturn and I think she was even worse than Mercury, and my fellow N.Ireland apprentice from a few years earlier, Roy Bloomer, spent some time on her and I think he had an absolute nightmare. If I'm right J&J took them on as they were a carrot to get the management for the two biggies that Ravi Tikko was building the G.Toyko & G.London but who knows

#583 ·
Yes there were two, the Globtic Mercury and I can't remember the other one at the minute. G.Mercury ran from Lake Maricaibo Venezuela to Portland Maine on a Texaco charter and after we half wrecked the Gotaverken engine we limped back to Amsterdam for drydock and to give her back to the Norwegians, spent 11 happy months on her as 4th, all for a purpose to get my sea time in for my 2nd's ticket. Grey matter is working, other one was Globtic Saturn and I think she was even worse than Mercury, and my fellow N.Ireland apprentice from a few years earlier, Roy Bloomer, spent some time on her and I think he had an absolute nightmare. If I'm right J&J took them on as they were a carrot to get the management for the two biggies that Ravi Tikko was building the G.Toyko & G.London but who knows
harry sent you a pm. regards scotty

#556 ·
Tikoo was supposed to be building ULCC's in Belfast at that time, if I remember rightly, but found better sponsorship elsewhere.
The superintendents said don't touch them, but others had their eyes on better things.

Are you the gent who was a big railway fan, and went home by rail rather than air whenever possible, or have I got the wrong name?

#563 ·
I first met Barra John when I was just 3 years old aboard the Arisaig when she was alongside in Middlesbourough. I also sailed with him numerous times on the Seatrain container ships. He was a remarkable character, and a brilliant steward. He could be completely bladdered at midnight, but be up and running around at 5 in the morning. For years the Seatrain ships used to line their bridge wings up against his name, painted on the quayside at Weehawken. He will indeed be missed.

#559 ·
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing this tragic news.
My deepest condolences to John's family.
There will be quite a few SN members who will be saddened by his untimely passing - he was one of life's characters and a true friend to many of us ex-Denholm men.

#564 ·
Bill Roberts - RIP

Hi all, sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I thought I'd just let anybody who might have sailed with Bill Roberts know that he died last week.

He worked for Denholm through the 1970s and served as Chief Officer on the Chemical Explorer, Sevonia Team, Scandia Team, Norvegia Team and London Team amongst others.

#567 ·
Hi all, sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I thought I'd just let anybody who might have sailed with Bill Roberts know that he died last week.

He worked for Denholm through the 1970s and served as Chief Officer on the Chemical Explorer, Sevonia Team, Scandia Team, Norvegia Team and London Team amongst others.

Sorry to hear that , please pass my condolences on.

Do you know if his first trip with Denholms was on the Baknes 1972 ?.

#565 ·
Welcome

Son of a sailor,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Sorry your first post couldn't have been of a more lighthearted nature, however thank you for notifying us of Bill's death.
I didn't know him, but I am sure some of our ex-Denholm members will remember him.
Sincere condolences to Bill's family.

#566 ·
I did various trips on both the Commander & Clansman repairing and setting up the Bailey Boiler Controls. Usually the trip consisted of joining in Las Palmas and working on route to the discharge port, by which time all would be on Auto.

Some dry mouth experiences especially tripping the boilers and the ensuing blackout.

Good evenings in the officers bar is a nice memory.

Redhead

#578 ·
Hi Harry, Other Globtick ship was the SUN known as the fun for obvious reasons. I remember Roy Bloomer and Eugene Morgan from Belfast college 1965 intake. We al met at Springburn tech.

I was interested in rail travel, still am, and would always prefer to go home by ferry and train whenever the company allowed,

Really enjoying this website

#579 ·
Hi Rehead,

Those Bailey boards were something else and we all got very good playing them.
Dirty control air was the problem. Remember the brilliantly sited compressor between the boilers. Remember the wee fella from Wier valves, Jimmy I think, and another chap from Sheffield fixing the other controls. Save us for a few short weeks flame out was the cry. Busiest bars in the compay by a long way I believe.
I was third doing steam time and once became the diesel engineer when the TA rotor failed on Clansman, taken aside by the Chief to tell me I was a VIP!

#581 ·
Welcome

Taffy,

A warm welcome to the site, and particularly the J & J Denholm forum, from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

#589 ·
Naess Endeavour

Naess Endeavour towed from Genoa to Palermo for drydock due to rudder nearly dropping off. In my 10 months on the Endeavour, this was, as far as i can recall, the only time she ever booke down!
Angus

Gulpers,
add:-
Naess Endeavour (was any ship ever so broken down?), (yes!!! the -) Baknes, Hopepark (later Stonehaven) (forever afire!) Burmah Garnet (Lord save us All!!!)

#590 ·
Atlantic Denholm(Ex.Atlantic Rolgo.Norwegian) I joined the Atlantic Denholm 17.04.84 04.10.85 she was taken out of Denholm Mgt and a new company was formed Loch Offshore and she was renamed ."Loch Carron" 10 10 89 company changed again to Farstad UK Ltd and all the vessels were named Far......... 11.09.89 I served on the Loch Grimshader with Farstad UK. My last vessel was Far Sleipner as I retired 28.11.92 The last master I sailed with was Captain John Leisk and strange as it may seem my very first Captains signature is also John Leisk both men Shetlanders, but on enquiring they were not related.

Charlie Stephen