Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

280K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#252 ·
Naess Lousiana

Does anybody remember John Lennon? No it isnt a funny or a trick question. John was Junior Chief on the Lousiana and will always stand out in my mind as a real character. What a laugh the guy had, I can hear it today. They called him BEASTIE because he was kind of "rough and ready", with a supply of breakfast sausages poked into a top pocket of the boiler-suit which he would nibble on from time to time (even up until 5 pm). He was from Liverpool/Birkenhead I guess, but had settled in Bishopbriggs near Glasgow. I wouldnt have rated in Johns who-will-succeed chart, but he was OK.
David

#253 ·
John Lennon

I can remember the Beastie. I was A/B on the Naess Louisiana 1/69 to 7/69 .He asked the deck dept if we could assist in changing a liner as the arab firemen were suffering from mal de mar. This was my introduction to GP. I remember him trying to guide the liner into the engine when the rope guys parted.The ship was rolling heavily & I can say there was a scatter of bodies in every direction except for the beastie. He stood his station until he could safely lower the liner. Not even a hand rail was bent.Before that event I use to keep out of the way from him .Thereafter my opinion of him excelled.

#254 ·
Naess Lousiana

James,
The lock on the engineroom crane on that ship was always a problem. I remember one piston changeout in bad weather, it released and the piston rod mangled parts of the de-areating piping and handrails as it went side to side with the rolling. Beastie timed it right and got the rod back down into the liner, but the trombone pipes were bent, the liner badly gouged and the rod screw threads in a hell-of-a-mess. Had to make up another assembly, repair the crane lock and start again.

#255 ·
John Lennon

HI David, where you on the same trip with me .During my stint the first Capt was Maxwell & the 2nd Capt was Cormack, the Ch/std was Muldoon & the mate was Blaber.The Deck & catering crowd were a mix of Scots & Northern Irish as we did a quick drydock in Belfast after damaging the rudder leaving the berth at Beaumont. I left her in Dry Dock in Rotterdam after 6 months O/B

#256 ·
Yes James, we sailed together on that trip. Do you remember the bang as we hit the bridge pontoon? It was at Port Arthur I think. The stock was bent 13-1/2 degrees and over the keyway, so it was a heck of a job to get the tiller clamp off. Heat, hydraulic jacks, etc.
I left in Belfast and went on the Gulf Scot. Where did you go?

#259 ·
James, I did write a book about it, back in about 1980. Even spent a month or two trying to have it published. It was a fictionalised account, but based on true incidents. Sadly, like you said, no one would believe it. By a quirk of fate, I'm now a professional writer and editor, and I had a publishing company for a while. Did I publish my manuscript? No. Too far fetched for the general public, but members of this forum would have known the truth of it. We all had some interesting times back in those days in J & J.
Doug

#261 ·
Hi Kev

I've hunted high and low (top of the wardrobe and under the bed) for my beloved manuscript. Can't find it anywhere, but it’s around fifteen years since I last looked at it, so I'm not overly surprised. It came with me (minus its mysteriously missing first chapter) to Aus when I left the Isle of Skye in 1990. I still had it in 1991, when I bought my first computer and had the quite ridiculous notion of retyping the story. We moved about a bit before settling in Geelong, so I might have lost it then. I probably had some subconscious desire to throw it away, because by then I had realised that my brilliant writing style (or so I had thought) was actually crap.

I wrote the first two drafts long hand, and I wrote the final draft on a typewriter that I bought for 50p at a sale in Ardvasar Hall. The ribbon was well past its best, but if you had good eyesight, you could just make out the words.

The story covered my first three ships with the company: the Spey Bridge, the Avon Bridge and, dare I say it, the Crinan. I had plans for a sequel. The Crinan was the only ship that I ever sailed on that shipped green water through the engine-room vents. The bottom plates used to slide over each other in bad weather, leaving gaping holes for the unwary to fall through, and it was always wise to duck when walking past the aft end of the engine, because the fuel pumps had a habit of splitting and firing the broken ends at you as you walked past.

There was a ‘speaking tube’ that ran from the desk by the engine controls to the landing outside the changing rooms. The third engineer, whose name I have long forgotten, signalled to me one day as he was about to leave the engine room that he wanted me to use the speaking tube. I lifted it off its hook, removed the whistle and – whoosh – out jetted a stream of icy-cold water. The next day, the third engineer signalled again. I wasn’t going to be caught twice, so I watched him to make sure he didn’t have a bucket. I lifted the tube, removed the whistle and – whoosh! He’d filled the tube, which was above head height when on its hook, with water, which gushed out when I lowered it.

Kenny Mair was the C/E. He had an unnerving habit of carrying his trousers folded over his arm. Kenny had an old TV in his cabin that he’d been trying for weeks to repair. He needed valves, but hadn’t been able to get them anywhere. When we learned we were going to Glasgow, where I lived at the time, I suggested to Kenny that I might be able to get him the valves if he might be able to give me the night off. I had a night at home, and Kenny got his valves.

A few days out from Glasgow, we ran into heavy weather. It was fierce. Around noon, I had occasion to visit Kenny’s cabin. Nearing the door, I heard weak cries for help. On entering, I found Kenny, in his underpants of course, sitting in the middle of the carpet cradling his now-working TV in his lap. For a second or two I could see nothing wrong, but then the ship rolled and carpet, Kenny and TV took off at a rate of knots to be bought up short against the first immovable object in their way. Kenny wasn’t usually pleased to see me, but this time was an exception.

Kev, the memories are all there, probably somewhat distorted by time now, but certainly not forgotten. There was the time two of my fellow cadets on the Spey Bridge pinched a truck in a dockyard in Japan, crashed it into a fire hydrant, totalling the front and knocking out the entire water supply for the dockyard. And the time an Indian fourth engineer on the Crinan tried to dismantle a fuel oil purifier while it was still running. Then there was the night that same engineer left the ship. He had assured us that we wouldn’t be able to run the engine room without him, and he tried to make sure of that by removing all the brass tags from the engine-room valves. At least, that was the story at the time, but did the third engineer seize the opportunity to flog the tags for scrap and blame the fourth engineer? Who knows, but that is what memories are made off, and it is incidents like those mentioned that featured in my manuscript.

If I ever do find the thing, I’d be more than happy to let you read it. Meanwhile, I’m sure you, and everyone else on this forum, have equally amusing memories of your own.
Regards
Doug

#262 ·
thanks doug, i sailed with kenny mair he was a a man and a half there was something wrong with his hand it had started to close and he was going for an operation to get it fixed i always remembered the old man saying to him on the bridge let go of the glass kenny and it will come back to normal itself yes those were the days i often wonder if kennys still around regards kev.

#263 ·
Kev, I met Kenny a couple of years, I think, after I left the Crinan. Probably around '73, but I can't really remember. We were both on a welding course at ICI's training college in Billingham in the North of England. (Never quite figured why Kenny was there.) Unfortunately, a couple of days into the course, Kenny received word that his brother had died unexpectedly. I drove him overnight to Edinburgh and waited at the station with him until he left on the train for Aberdeen early next morning. Never saw or heard of him again after that.

I still remember Kenny with fondness. He was one of the old-school, and a breed that was dying out by the time I joined J & J. Ships were becoming much more sophisticated, and though there were plenty of characters around, they weren't built from the same mould.

The first old man I sailed with on the Spey Bridge was on his last voyage before retiring. While very different from Kenny, he too was from the old school. I used to have long talks with him on the bridge and could have listened to him for hours. His name was Ferguson, but I don't think I knew his first name. Probably just called him Captain.

Regards
Doug

#264 ·
Roddy,,,do not believe we met when I was with Denholms,,,,but totally agree with your reply!!! Is Calum one and the same as Malcolm Thomson, who was c/o when I was there in 1964?

JF
QUOTE=Roddy MacSween]Calum

With reference to your message, let me try and correct some of your inaccuracies: -

When I joined the 'Crinan' in 1963 at 17, I had been away from home for 6 years, which included Portree High School (Hostel resident), School in Motherwell (with Frank Brown who was also a cadet on the Crinan 'intake' in 1963), pre-sea training at the School of Navigation in Glasgow (1 year).

To infer that I was 'suddenly transposed' from the Isle of Skye to the 'Crinan' and deduce that this would enhance my welfare demonstrates a condescending ignorance which astounds me.

I have no intention of recording significant incidents on this site, which resulted in a total abhorrence of my initial 6 months in the MN, the worst time in a marine career spanning (to date) 44 years.

To set the record straight, I never sailed with Captain Nichol - I did respect the in***bent Master Captain Bert Buckley and the C/O Duncan MacDonald, with whom I had the pleasure of working with between 1976 and 1978. 3/O Willie McAuslan (deceased) was a gem, whose support at times was invaluable.

I would suggest that a style of 'man-management', where 'hardening teenage cadets to meet and cope with the elements on heaving decks', etc., etc was misguided and unprincipled. Believe me, Calum; this opinion is shared by many of my peer group.
I have had the pleasure and privilege of being in command of a Diving Support Vessel, where teamwork and effective management were the 'key principles' resulting in retention of a regular team of 60 persons for over 3 years.

I have no intention of entering into a 'war of words' and to that end, I will refrain from any further communiqué on this subject. You will hopefully understand that at 60 years old, I will not accept the diatribe, which has been communicated to many SN members.

Regards

Roddy MacSween[/QUOTE]

#570 ·
Roddy I'm trying to trace a Roddy MacSween -2nd mate on the Kyoto Forest early 1970. If thats you I am Colin Macdonald from Shetland, who also sailed with Cpt Macgregor on the Dunkyle. My purpose for writing in to enquiry if Cpt Macgregor and Mrs Macgregor still live in the glasgow area. Hope my detective work has done the trick? If you are a different Roddy renewed apologies Colin

#571 ·
2nd.mate in 1970 ; sounds like the same Roddy MacSween that I know.
He is a member of SN but has not been on line for many months.
Last I heard from him , E.D and Mrs MacGregor still lived near Glasgow.
Think I still have Roddy's e-mail adress somewhere. PM me if you require it.

#572 · (Edited by Moderator)
2nd.mate in 1970 ; sounds like the same Roddy MacSween that I know.
He is a member of SN but has not been on line for many months.
Last I heard from him , E.D and Mrs MacGregor still lived near Glasgow.
Think I still have Roddy's e-mail adress somewhere. PM me if you require it.
Thanks John. I was invited to have tea with Captn and Mrs Macgregor in the early 70's. Lost touch with them, but now I visit Glasgow regularly to see my daughter -she's a graduate from glasgow school of art and has a studio up there. My email address is *************** Renewed thanks colin

Colin, in line with Site policy, I have removed your email address from public view to avoid you receiving unsolicited messages. John, or anyone else for that matter, can send you a PM and you can then exchange details if you wish. (Thumb) Ray

#267 ·
Crinan

Hi Roddy,

I was on the Crinan same time as Donald Campbell,,July 63 intake, cannot say I can recall Graham Marshal

Donald mentioned he has been in touch with you regarding jack up rigs in Nigeria.

Will be in touch with you shortly on this

RGDS

John Falconer
Roddy MacSween said:
John

I can assure you, I got no pleasure from saying what I believe had to be clarified.

I believe from DJC that another ex DSM is doing very well for himself. Were you in the same Crinan intake as Graham Marshall. Send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

Best Regards

Roddy

#269 ·
John Cassels said:
John,

Don't think you were in the July 1963 intake. Roddy and I were but
I don't remember you. Think you were the intake after us (Jan '64).

JC
John Falconer and I were in the July 1964 intake along with Angus Murray. I have most of the names listed on a post.
Graham Marshall was not in that intake but I sailed with him somewhere later on.
Donald Campbell

#270 ·
Crinan July 1964

DCMARINE said:
John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Angus Murray (Lewis) - in N. Sea now Stornoway Coastguard.
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
George Morrison (Middlesborough)
Doug Murdoch (Welyn Garden City)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
.......... Cameron (Dundee)
Gibby Watt (Fraserburgh) - still on N. Sea supply boats
Will revert with the missing two.
Some Senior cadets:
Peter Bloomer - retired ex supply boat master - sailed with him again there.
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald Gunn - now Master on Cal Mac's "Hebrides".
More if and when they come to mind.
Donald
Update - the missing ones:
Andy Cameron (Dundee), Alan Brewster, Alan Strawhorn, Vince Kelly.
Paddy's name was Houston.
Donald

#272 ·
Greetings Muldonaich

Kev
Only discovered who you were the other day when speaking to Calum Thomson (who speaks kindly of you).Although i do not know you personally, my cousin from Ness, Donald Mackenzie, often speaks about you and sends his regards. I believe he sailed with you on the GTS's. Since i ocassionally do some MCA work in your neck of the woods, i might call in at your workplace next time down.
Regards
Angus Murray

muldonaich said:
thanks doug, i sailed with kenny mair he was a a man and a half there was something wrong with his hand it had started to close and he was going for an operation to get it fixed i always remembered the old man saying to him on the bridge let go of the glass kenny and it will come back to normal itself yes those were the days i often wonder if kennys still around regards kev.

#273 ·
hi angus, yes please do i sailed with donald onthe gtvs he is gentleman also spent the last three years at sea with calum thomson found him a gentleman as well he called in to see me but i was out in hospital at the time sailed with a lot of lads from sy regards kevin. ps sailed with a donald murray from tolsta a couple of times last time on hopepark is he a relation.

#274 ·
Kev
Donald Murray from Tolsta is not related. However, both of us commenced our seagoing career at the same time on the CRINAN (July 1964). He lives in Tolsta, and i will pass on your regards when i next see him.
Regards
Angus

muldonaich said:
hi angus, yes please do i sailed with donald onthe gtvs he is gentleman also spent the last three years at sea with calum thomson found him a gentleman as well he called in to see me but i was out in hospital at the time sailed with a lot of lads from sy regards kevin. ps sailed with a donald murray from tolsta a couple of times last time on hopepark is he a relation.

#275 ·
Iain Lourie said:
Gulpers, The Gallic Bridge was a bulkie not an OBO :)

Any pics of her around?
Ahoy Iain,
Found your Gallic Bridge in the old shoebox:

Attachments