Ships Nostalgia banner

Denholm Line M V Carronpark

31K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  lad_o_pairts 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything of the Denholm Line. I was on the MV Carronpark in about 1955. I believe there was a sistership Lylepark; the Company was mainly into tankers so I heard tell. when I joined her she was under charter to the British Phosphate Commision and was running [though not very fast] between Narau and Ocean Islands and Australian & New Zealand Ports

#4 ·
Chipity said:
Does anyone know anything of the Denholm Line. I was on the MV Carronpark in about 1955. I believe there was a sistership Lylepark; the Company was mainly into tankers so I heard tell. when I joined her she was under charter to the British Phosphate Commision and was running [though not very fast] between Narau and Ocean Islands and Australian & New Zealand Ports
Denholms became the biggest ship management company in the UK in the '70s. They managed every kind of ship immaginable including innovations like container ships and ro-ros - "Euroliner", the first trans-Atlantic container ship, which had us all biting our nails, springs to mind. Not sure what happened to the company in later times.

I sailed on Denholm's iron ore carrier "Dunkyle" and a managed general cargo ship "Industria", owned by Metcalfes of British West Hartlepool - happy days in the White Man's Grave. Came away speaking fluent Glaswegian, Jimmy.

John T.

#5 ·
John,
Whilst in Denholms, did you ever sail with a John MacKinnon, native of the Isle of Barra? Think he ended up as Chief Mate before he came over to us, to sail on the coast as C/O. I think he was more than happy with his lot and had no asperations to be Old Man. I sailed with him when he was 62!

#7 ·
Hi to All

I sailed on the MV Industria ( Jan 78 - Aug 78 ). My 1st trip straight out of the peanut factory. Joined in Cardiff, crew managed to wreck a sailing dingy the OLD Man had picked up mid atlantic. Dropped it staight down #5 hold. Went Venezula, States then to Gulf. Brought her back to Wallsend drydock eventually to handover to Indian buyers. Crew just like the United Nations Brummies,Cockneys, Irish, on deck, Scottish in galley ( Great food ) & welsh down with the donkeys. (Thumb)

#8 · (Edited)
Colin butler, a hearty welcome to the sn site, you have a lot of like minded members here, I am sure you will enjoy it, and any current member of a Life boat crew is especially welcome. Look forward to hearing of your experiences.

Please take the time to read the thread "Guidelines To Posting" in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. Should help with any questions you may have regarding posting to the Site.

#10 ·
NEIL C
MEMBER'
I was a deck boy on the INVEREWE, aDENHOLMS, bulk carrier sailed out of North Sheilds 1960,s .During that time she was fitted with a self discharging crane which ran up the deck on rails ,i dont think it was very successful as it was constantly breaking down and very unstable in bad weather .
I recall we had 7 barra boys as crew ,me being one of them.

#48 ·
i was also on the inverewe, seccond cook & baker from sept66-oct67.

we were on charter for 9 mths between Haverstraw(new york)-and Nassau Bahammas with large rocks to build a break water, good runs ashore, but unfortinately lost 2 crew members, this was my last ship, left and joined glasgow police.

#29 ·
Naess Sovereign

Ettore Lucini
I was on Naess Sovereign in 1961/1962 as 4th engineer, we were running round trips from Bataan to the Gulf. I don't remember the name of the chief engineer in 1961, but beginning 1962 he was substituted by Tomas Kane, from Port Glasgow.

#12 ·
Signed on the Dunadd one of Denholm's bulkers June 58 Glasgow. Mainly local crew good feeder . Seven Islands for ore to Birkenhead. Round trip of three weeks exactly. We were spoiled for choice of jobs then and enjoyed the freedom of paying off just for a change of scenery if nothing else. Mind you the world was worth seeing then and peace reigned almost all around the globe as I remember it. Halcyon days indeed with a sub in the pocket for runs ashore never to be forgotten. Time for a cuppa and tab nab. Joesoap.

#13 ·
M V Carronpark

Thank you, for your reminders I recall now the Carronpark had a soccer team and played against other ships who were in port at the same time.We also carried bulk cargos but took 8 or 9 days to discharge; and a tot of rum on Sundays at sea They were good times; We have come a long way in the last 50 years (Applause) (Applause)

#53 ·
Thank you, for your reminders I recall now the Carronpark had a soccer team and played against other ships who were in port at the same time.We also carried bulk cargos but took 8 or 9 days to discharge; and a tot of rum on Sundays at sea They were good times; We have come a long way in the last 50 years (Applause) (Applause)
When were you on Carronpark? likewise we played everytime returning to Geelong from Ocean Islands,or Nauru ( joined Carronpark 3/1951 until 4/52 )
was her 2nd voyage. Capt.Cant used to supply acase of beer if we won,or
stopped subs if we lost.

#14 ·
Chipity,

My time with Denholms was a bit after yours. However, the following extract from my profile may rekindle some memories out there.

Was a Deck Officer with J J Denholm, Glasgow (Denholm Ship Management) 1972 - 1981 (Deck Cadet, 3/O, 2/O) then came ashore to join HM Coastguard.

When at sea served on MV Troll River, MV Erskine Bridge, GTV Asiafreighter, MV Gina Maria, MV Nordic Crusader, MV Avon Bridge, GTV Asialiner, MV Arctic Troll, MV Troll Park, MV Vancouver Forest, MV Burmah Pearl, MV Seatrain Saratoga - served on some of these vessels on several trips.

Gulpers

#15 ·
The original question was around the Lylepark a Denholm ship that was originally built in 1929 and sunk 11th June 1942. Under the command of Captain Charles Stuart Low. His son Hamish sailed as Fifth Engineer in the new Refrigerated Cargo Ship Lylepark which was built after the war...1950 I think.

Chris

#17 ·
Denholm Line MV Carronpark

raybeti said:
Ex Denholms "Naess Sovereign" Naess Champion" 1962-1968, Master was Calum MacPhee, from Barra, any old shipmates out there?
I also sailed on both of these vessels during that period. I met the late Capt Calum's cousin from New York some years ago on holidays in Barra.

I left Denholms in '68 to work for Irish Shipping. Emigrated to South Africa in '74, transferred to Rio de Janeiro in '84.

#20 ·
I was apprentice on Lylepark from April 59 to December 59. My recollection is trip(s) down west africa coast, from Bathurst to Lagos , stopping at many ports both southbound and northbound. Mate's name was Ernie Warman from Aberdeen. Also recall that Lylepark was sold to Nigerian National shipping line

#21 ·
Was it the Carronpark that managed to keep sailing after one of the units on the 3 legged Doxford main engine failed. I believe that they hung-up the offending unit and procceeded towards the UK on two units before taking on a tug near the irish coast. Any of the engineers still around?
Rgds. Robert36.

#24 ·
Denholms

Greetings. I served with Denholms for twenty years from 1961 to the bitter end when they went foreign and made us all redundant. I remember all the ships mentioned above and served on Naess Trader,Clarkeden, Clarkavon, Naess Pioneer, Gleddoch, Morar, Glenpark, Inverewe, Industria, Federal Hudson, Bibi, Fidentia, Dunadd, Vento di maestrali, Vancouver Trader, Dunelmia, Conon Forest, Sig Ragne, Nordic Trader, Scotspark, Troll Park, Vancouver Forest, the m/v Redundant, so I went to Sealink for Five years.
Now happily retired.
Regards to all
Terry

#26 ·
Quote kepowee : hi all has anybody any info on the tv morar denholms of glasgow an ore carrier registerd in greenock i sailed on her in 63 from port talbot she was always breaking down at sea kepowee

Hi-- I think you asked the same Q in the thread "ore-carriers"? This is the response I put in that thread-- I guess you didn't see it!

The Scottish OreCarriers "Morar" can be found at:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...p.asp?id=18437

regards.

#28 ·
John Mackinnon

If memory serves I did 3 on 3off with John on one of Denholm's, I think it was the Troll Park in 1979/1980. Bob Cotter was Old Man and that was the last time I saw Cathie. I thought John was living in Glasgow at the time, although I know he was from the British West Hebrides.
regards
Terry R556919.(==D)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.