Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

280K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#636 ·
The TOR ANGLIA and TOR HOLLANDIA were in fact swedish flagged passenger ferries owned by the swedish company Tor Line , originally running between Sweden and U.K. (Gothenburg-Immingham). When they (Tor Line) decided to increase their container/RORO trade to the U.K. they built two customised vessels for the job, TOR MERCIA and TOR SCANDIA , because of trade agreements government legislation required these two vessels to be British registered, hence hello Denholms! . Denholms formed a subsidary company called Denholm McLay to manage these two vessels. Eventually Tor Line extended its container trade to the near continent , Holland, and proceeded to build 4 larger class of vessel, TOR GOTHIA, TOR BELGIA, TOR NERLANDIA,TOR CALEDONIA, because of an eeny weeny little bit of difference between U.K. salaries and swedish salaries (Hello Denholms!) it was decided to keep these vessels also under the british flag. As the fleet was now trading in a "triangular" route around the north sea, Denholms wiped out its tax debt with Denholm McLay by forming another company called Triport Shipping. TOR CALEDONIA by the way, joined the Falklands task force in 1982. Thereof ends a short period of my life.

#639 ·
I wonder if the Donald Ross mentioned above is the same one who was 2/O with me when his first child was born. He went pick up his wife from the station for the weekend in the Herculaneum DD but came back with a wife and a Labrador. I still enjoyed baby-sitting althought the dog ate my sarnies.
Cheers.
Terry.

#641 ·
Terry,

If I'm not mistaken ... c. 1970, Donald was 3/0 and the Lab's name was Rannah... after his Indian steward on the NAESS CHAMPION. First son, John was born May or June 1971... now a yachtmaster!

Stephen
First tripper with Donald on the NAESS PIONEER in 1970. His first pearl of wisdom to me.... "You call me Sir and I'll call you Sir. The only difference iss, you mean it, I don't!"

#643 ·
Some recent photos at the opening of refurbishment and extension to County Antrim Yacht Club in Whitehead. Angus was Commodore back in the 60's.Go to wwwharrisonphotography.net and use Event Password "royalyachtclub"
Page 9 of photos first 3 photos. A young looking 96 !!!
Harry- Got through to the web site but would not accept password-claimed it was incorrect? Regards Teb.(ex Denholn Ship Manager)

#654 ·
Naess Viking photo

Does anyone have a photo of the Naess Viking. Must be the only vessel of that era with the prefix NAESS or NORDIC that does not seem to appear anywhere in 'Gallery'.
Also tried subsequent names, CAST CORMORANT/PACIFIC JASMIN/GULF PHOENIX to no avail.
Stood by her as new building at Eriksberg (Gothenburg) in 1972.
Angus

#657 ·
Naess Viking pic

Malky
Will have a look through old Denholm News. If i remember correctly, those standing by Seateam ships at Gotaverken at same time,were paid substantially less subsistence than we were paid by Naess at Eriksberg! You are right in that Gothenburg was fantastic. Eventually departed Gothenburg for Vittoria (thence Japan) after sea trials a week before Christmas 1972.

Doug
Found the pic referred to in Gallery showing bow section only. Not a great ship pc, and surprised that no other photo seems to be available. Even more surprising that i did not keep one myself! Thanks for reply.
Angus

#659 ·
Angus,
I don't recall any whingeing regards money. We all were enjoying both life and work.
Do you remember Jedforest from Erikesbergs and the fiasco of the girl and the Gota bridge?
Otherwise thye Blue Peacock and White Corner should be in the good Mariners pub guide.
Anyone from those Seateam ship newbuildings get on this thread with your tales
Regards to all

Malky Glaister

#662 ·
Served on the Clarkavon for six months in the winter of 1961. Weirdest voyage of my career. Sailed from Port Talbot to Melilla, Morocco and took on a cargo of red, iron ore dust. Filled the holds to overflowing and barely settled to half her freeboard. Sweltered in the heat during the three days it took to wash off all of the red muck from her uppers. Offloaded in Port Talbot a week later and then set off for Narvik in Norway. A week later we took on a load of blue, solid iron ore that made just a heap in each hold and the ship was down to the gunnels! Froze all the little bits off my body while all this was going on. Returned to Port Talbot to off load. We then went back to Melilla! This carried on for the whole of my time on board. Hot, Cold Hot, Cold every month regular as clockwork. Got cheesed off in the end and paid off. Look back now on the 'Good Old Days'.

#663 ·
(A) My first encounter with Denholms was on Naess Spirit 1963.We were all
called up to denholms office to be checked over by Capt Brown,who in turn
told us to be down at the pool in the morning to be picked up by bus for
the airport. What he never told us, it was Gatwick Airport in London. Where
we got a dan air flight to Naples. The Capt was J Rhodes mate W Mcalister
2mate W Coutts. Cadetts were Sam Clements,Angus Macinnies and Mike Fagan. All good guys.Ten month later we all got of in France.
After that things were getting, better, and I am glad to say I stayed with them for some time.

#664 ·
J J Denholm

Hi all.Im new to this site.I was OS on the Clarkavon for 7 months in 1970.Coming from Port Talbot I grew up watching Denholms iron ore carriers docking+sailing.2 of my brothers sailed on all of them.The ones I remember were Arisaig,Craigallian,Crinan,Gleddoch,Morar,Ormsary,Naess Trader,Wellpark(ex Needles),Clarkavon+Clarkeden.

#665 ·
Just browsing the Denholm pages, and can find no reference to the managed "Cenargo" ships. I think Denholms managed the ships, prefixed "Merchant" from about 1982, just after the Falklands war. "V" Ships took over the management around the late eighties, and several of the Denhoms staff stayed with the ships. Captains Bob Cotter, Chris Thomas, Bill Harvey and John Millar and CEs Walter Muir, Norman Harrison and Bob ?????.
Sadly Bob Cotter passed away quite a while ago, whilst John Millar is still commanding ships, but not with "V"Ships. Cenargo of course went into liquidation in the nineties.

#666 ·
Just a few more to add to your list Gulpers 1983/1991.Merzario Grecia(roro),Tor Calidonia(roro),Cast Otter(conbulk).Rollness(Bulk),rockness(bulk),Oxford(container)Act8(container),Auther(container),City of Plymouth(container),City of Manchester(container),Liverpool Star(container).