Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

280K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#753 ·
I did some fascinating research this morning in an attempt to recall the pub that we 1965 apprentice intake used on payday.

It was The Whitehall.

It is mentioned in an article about the infamous Peter Manuel,a mass murderer in the fifties.

Similar to the thread about Liverpools pubs there is one on Glasgow.I have only glanced at this but it should be of interest to Denholm folk and others.

regards

Malky

#754 ·
I'm a bit of an interloper here - my first trip as an engineer cadet with Bibby's was on the Stirling Bridge, which had just come out of Denholm's management. We still had Diamond D counterpanes on the bunks!

She was a lovely ship, 9RND90 Sulzer, very little problems and the most spacious engine room I sailed on. Other than the original post I haven't seen mention of her on here, a shame as she was a wonderful vessel.

#756 ·
I'm a bit of an interloper here - my first trip as an engineer cadet with Bibby's was on the Stirling Bridge, which had just come out of Denholm's management. We still had Diamond D counterpanes on the bunks!

She was a lovely ship, 9RND90 Sulzer, very little problems and the most spacious engine room I sailed on. Other than the original post I haven't seen mention of her on here, a shame as she was a wonderful vessel.
My first trip as a deck cadet was on the Stirling Bridge I joined her in Kashima japan on the 13 October 1973. Spent six months on there and loved every minute of it.
Not Stirling Bridge guys but there are a couple of photographs in our Gallery of her sister, Erskine Bridge. (Thumb)

#765 ·
I sailed on the Mountpark from memory early 70's joined here in the States had a few tribulations getting there but thats another story sailed with coal to Japan Hokaido after that a bit hazy but think we loaded iron pyrites in Oz for the States thenwe loaded Sept Iles with Ore for Germany then the same run with coal. Good crowd on board.

useeimbutunoseeim Bass

#770 · (Edited)
As an old Denholms man this thread is most interesting.
After I left Denholms I sailed for Sugar Line/Tate & Lyle from 1972/9 when they ceased operating and as far as I knew all the ships were sold. I was therefore most surprised to see the Sugar Transporter and the Sugar Trader(one of my old ships) in your list of Denholms ships. Any information on what happened to them would be very welcome as I have tried every avenue to find the history of "The Trader" after we were all paid off.

#772 ·
You have omitted "Caledonian forest"bulk(paper) Clarkforth cargo. I think temp named port Campbell. Under charter. Clarkeden I think bulk. Clarkston ships in 1960 s forest ship was Scandinavian but denholms took over 1970s

Good luck
L888doc
Pretty sure that both Caledonian Forest and Clarkeden were on the
original list as sailed on both of them .

#773 ·
L888doc

Hi gulper joined sn yesterday so please excuse schoolboy attempt. You may or not know of the fatality on m. v muirfield managed by denholms. Alex murray stornoway was 3rd eng was drowned in number 7 hold trying to clear a blockage. I was the bosun who pulled him out 3 days later and prepared him for burial at sea. This was 9th nov 1975. The main reason for joining sn was to get this message out as I saw a posting from his brother george (which was 8years old)I am such a dummy as i can't trace the post. Anyone help?

L888doc

#774 ·
Hi gulper joined sn yesterday so please excuse schoolboy attempt. You may or not know of the fatality on m. v muirfield managed by denholms. Alex murray stornoway was 3rd eng was drowned in number 7 hold trying to clear a blockage. I was the bosun who pulled him out 3 days later and prepared him for burial at sea. This was 9th nov 1975. The main reason for joining sn was to get this message out as I saw a posting from his brother george (which was 8years old)I am such a dummy as i can't trace the post. Anyone help?

L888doc
Hello L888doc,

Thanks for your input, I do recall that tragic incident being mentioned somewhere on the Site. I'll have a rummage around and see if I can find it.
You are among like-minded folk here, so join in as often as you can. You will undoubtedly find old shipmates - I know of a few old Bosuns who are members. (Thumb)

#775 ·
Found it!

L888doc,

I have found the post you are looking for - it is # 30 if you click here. (Thumb)

Unfortunately George has not been on SN for quite a few years, however; if you look at his profile here you will see that there is a facility to send him an email via SN. It may be worth a try!
If that doesn't have any success, his profile says he served with the Police in Stornoway. Under the cir***stances, they may be able to help. (Thumb)

#778 ·
I was on the 'Duncraig' in 1968 the Captain was "Angus John MacDonald"....He lived on the cliffs overlooking Whitehead N.I. and when rounding N.I. he'd take the ship close inshore and stand on the bridgewing blowing the 'hooter'.

His family would run into the garden waving sheets and towels...

Quite a nice sendoff before the N. Atlantic; heading to 7 isles...

#782 ·
Gulper a

Hi gulpers Many thanks for your help re alex murray death. I had a very emotional discussion his brother george last night. I am still affected by this but both of us are eternally greatful to sn for bringing us together. We will speak regularly and will visit each other but it's still raw after almost 40 years. Therefore my sincere thanks to all fellow sn members who achieved so much in a very short 24 hours. Unbelievable!!!

Many thanks l888doc

#783 ·
Hi gulpers Many thanks for your help re alex murray death. I had a very emotional discussion his brother george last night. I am still affected by this but both of us are eternally greatful to sn for bringing us together. We will speak regularly and will visit each other but it's still raw after almost 40 years. Therefore my sincere thanks to all fellow sn members who achieved so much in a very short 24 hours. Unbelievable!!!

Many thanks l888doc
l888doc,

I am absolutely delighted that after all these years, you have managed to make contact. Hopefully, now that you are in touch with each other, you will be able ease the pain which you are both obviously still feeling.

Kind regards,
Ray