Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

280K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#789 ·
Sorry gentlemen, I don't know where the New Zealand came from,
Hughie is in fact still living in Helensburgh, well in his eighties, and I take it in reasonable health.

His family were/are well known butchers in the Conon Bridge/Dingwall area, and I was able to ask one of his nephews today.

I was on the Dealmouth myself as 3rd Mate from 1/4/65 to 5/5/66, Hughie was Old Man there until relieved by Bobby Kinder.

The Mates were Malcolm Thompson then Malcolm MacMillan.

Second Mates Kenny Ingles and Stuart Hulse.

John Fleck and then Bob Mitchell were chiefs.

Second was a Scot whose name I've forgotten , then a German who kept trying to commit suicide after over indulging in rum.

Hughie Newton was a third, Hector MacKay another, Karl Schroeder another, Bob Willis the fourth, and Jimmy Symington a junior.

Chief Steward Rimmington, and a cook by the name of John Mould.

The bosun was a ? Oliver who had been bosun on a liner company cadet ship - I think BI.

I can see lots of other characters but the names are gone.

All in all a year to remember.

#791 ·
Hi Gulpers.

I seem to remember from the thread that you no longer have any copies of 'Denholm News'.
We seem to have been with Denholm around the same time.
I still have the 27 issues from 1972-1982.
If you would like to borrow send me a pm, or reply though this thread. I live in Tregarth, near Bangor.

Bill Harvey

#804 ·
L888doc

Hi Jim I was john mckinnons bosun mv muirfield 1975follow my postings especially from his cousin duncs.to my horror john died a couple of years after retiring. I don't know dates /details yet but I can re member he had 2 wee girls when I visited hi at his home in paisley late 70 s.one of the nicest guys I ever sailed with . May he rest in peace,,

#810 ·
My first ship with Denholm's was Nordic Talisman in 72/73 not a happy experience but as I complained when giving my post voyage brief at St Vincent Street, they sent me to Erskine Bridge a much better ship with good crew although I cannot remember their names now.

DerekT

#817 ·
Hi Stephen.

Thanks.
The other 3 in the photo are:
Billy Sclater (Cadet) presently working ashore with Orkney Ferries.
Debs, my eldest daughter, who you know from her time in Bermuda. Still working as a doctor.
Roger Sherlow (Cadet) presently working in the packaging industry in Nigeria.

I keep venturing into my attic finding photos, have quite a collection of prints of your paintings, either passenger ships, or those of Cenargo ships.

Bill

#821 ·
Hi Stephen.

Thanks.
The other 3 in the photo are:
Billy Sclater (Cadet) presently working ashore with Orkney Ferries.
Debs, my eldest daughter, who you know from her time in Bermuda. Still working as a doctor.
Roger Sherlow (Cadet) presently working in the packaging industry in Nigeria.

I keep venturing into my attic finding photos, have quite a collection of prints of your paintings, either passenger ships, or those of Cenargo ships.

Bill

Bill,

Remember well Debs time in Bermuda. Out at a pub in Hamilton and one of my brother's mates, a policeman, looked over her from feet to head and said, "So, what is the weather like up there?"

Cenargo... made several paintings from Mike Hendry. He was a nuisance client. Every painting and making me to make changes. He hated whenever I painted some rust on his ships! He seems like a real smart kid in business. Thought Cenargo was going big places. I guess not. Never found out why they closed up shop.

Stephen

#828 ·
I worked in the Mail Room at 120 St Vincent Street.... for two days. Left Warwick Fort in Singapore, three days stopping over before flying up to Thunder Bay to join Scotspark. Mr Gibbs said I had to do something, "Productive". So two days sorting.

Heard a good joke while there. A letter was marked simply, "Sir Andrew Duncan" and went out in the mail in the ship's bag for forwarding. In error, the letter arrived on board the m.v. DUNNAD and returned it to Head Office and marked, "Sir Andrew Not On Board." !!!!!!!