What was your favourite Brock's ship and why? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
15:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What was your favourite Brock's ship and why?

User Tag List

Old 7th July 2007, 18:33
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Phil,
Regarding descaling chemicals - You have got me there - I can only remember a product called Saf -Acid. As I recall it was a powder and came in cardboard drums But as it was made by Drew Chemical Corp. then I guess it must have been from my days with Fyffes rather than Brocks.
Re-Maturata I remember she had glass air heater tubes in her Scotch Boilers.
These were made by Pilkingtons as a replacement for the corrosion prone mild steel variety. Despite extensive testing by Pilkington Maturata seemed very capable of shattering them. I beleve they were on trial on Maturata. - Did the experiment continue and were they used on other ships? At least tube replacement was quite straightforward.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:47

My location
How do you choose

Masirah - has to be the principal candidate, first trip apprentice and several others culminating in a half trip as 4th Mate. My first trip was her second so we kind of grew up together. Stan Broughton was her 1st Master he left just before the start of my last trip in her when Captain Simpson took over. Owen Pritchard was the Mate for my first voyage, others on board were:

J W Morgan 2nd Mate
A F Richards 3rd Mate
J R Taylor 4th Mate
J W Brand C/E
H Moss 2nd Eng
E P Waddell 3rd Eng
K A Fleming X3 Eng
W Whitelaw 4th Eng
J W Arthurs X4th Eng
D A Humiston 5th Eng
Stan Robinson Elect
W Murphy C/Stwd
Fred Ambrose 2nd Stwd
B R Banks C R/O
John Bently 2nd R/O
D R Newland S App
D A Hammond App.
Pete G Fuller Eng App.
OM were D Black, A Henderson, D MacLean, A MacQuarrie
E L Forster Carpenter.

I rejoined her as Sen. Apprentice on 14th October 1959, and stayed with her until 10th of Jan 1961. In that time there were many new faces but still some of the old ones. Owen Prichard had left to become Master and for the life of me I cannot remember the new C/O, Malcolm Maclean had taken over as C/RO, Fred Ambrose had become Ch/Stwd on Markhor (1), If anyone can fill in the blanks I would be very grateful. How foolish not to take notes of who was with us in those days.

I see we have had one vote for Malakand (III) She was my last trip having transfered to her in Calcutta as she had no 4th Mate and found herself on a Southern States run, Masirah should have taken it but we were 10 days too late for the berth. Capt Simpson was not best pleased but orders is orders so off I went. She was a good ship if a somewhat troubled old girl. It seemed she had a taste for boiler water that her engineers had trouble satisfying and required a stop at Ceuta before setting out across the western ocean. Our troubles were by no means over as a couple of days out from Ceuta we encountered some chunky weather so much so that the steering decided that enough was enough and it was time to leave. The holding down bolts sheered and the engine went walk about. To our acute embarrassment this meant the it was disengaged from the steering Rams making any wheel movements ineffective. This occurred just a few minutes after I had handed over to the third mate for the evening 8-12. The first person entering the steering flat was nearly mowed down by the engine trying desperately to escape it confinement. However at great personal risk to the engineers the engine was lassoed and secured with a massive network of wires. I recall we had a cable from Liverpool saying that they were thinking of us and hoped for a proper outcome. Nice touch. Since the weather was such that any major alteration of course was out of the question we headed towards Bermuda but were unable to make the necessary course change so continued on towards Newport News and drydock so the Yanks could put the thing back together. Which they did and we steamed off to deliver our cargo. We of course missed out scheduled return to the UK. If I remember rightly we docked in Norfolk first and were promptly invaded by the CIA to be photographed, finger printed questioned at great length about our life and that of our nearest and dearest before being issued with an ID card after all this had been entered on their database. Bit tiresome but thats Yanks for you. At least we were allowed ashore which is more that can be said for theses days in the US of A. Being Malakand we took it in out stride. You would have though that that was enough but no so. We had a sulphur fire in No. 3 while loading the horrible yellow powder in Port Sulphur. That was the last incident and we eventually arrived in Liverpool on the 13th April 1961. While almost exactly 3 months it was a very happy trip with a very good crowd on a very good ship.

But what of Markhor (1) a real lady crewed by a bunch of mad men under the guidance of Capt MacLaren. Only one trip but a blinder never the less, Fred Ambrose was C/Stew, Pete Swift 2nd Mate, all insane but very pleasantly so. A voyage to remember.

Michael Meredith
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:52

A blast from the past, I seem to recall you as 2nd RO on Manipur, Ch.RO was Stan Dunn, could that be correct?
Old 25th July 2007, 13:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Jim, would that CR/O not have been Sandy Dunn? I don't recall a Stan Dunn.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:50
Active: 1950 - 1961

A photo for free!

A photo on offer. During my last tour in Hong Kong I decided to try and buy Skyfoto pictures of all the ships I had sailed on deep sea or coasting.
In the case of the Maihar although I had stated 1917 as her date of building they instead sent me one of the modern vessel. If anyone would like this please let me know and it is yours free and I will even pay the postage if it is in the UK. It is the usual black and white 10 by 8 inch print mounted in a simple card frame. The negative number on the back is CN6532. I don't think the quality is so good compared to their earlier photos and I am not even sure if the coast line shown is in the UK! She has as deck cargo a large launch possibly military. First come first served! Now re Masirah's message earlier - nice to see my brother John mentioned as 2R/O but it is Bentley not Bently! Salaams, Roger
Old 25th July 2007, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
Jim, would that CR/O not have been Sandy Dunn? I don't recall a Stan Dunn.
Yes, my mistake, was Sandy from Greenock, I met him in Aberdeen a few years ago.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:34
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger View Post
Yes, my mistake, was Sandy from Greenock, I met him in Aberdeen a few years ago.
Sandy was indeed from Greenock Jim.
Old 27th July 2007, 00:17

I sailed with Sandy on Cunard Adventurer - he has a lot to answer for - he introduced me to my wife of the past 29 years! Does anyone have his contact details at all?

Alan Marsden
Old 27th July 2007, 00:50

My location
hello again alan............

i exchanged a few emails with fred tordoff last year.........
i was wondering if you remember him.

best regards.....

allan
Old 27th July 2007, 06:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Thumbs up Sandy Dunn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunarder View Post
I sailed with Sandy on Cunard Adventurer - he has a lot to answer for - he introduced me to my wife of the past 29 years! Does anyone have his contact details at all?

Alan Marsden
Alan! If Sandy Dunn's first name is Frank, and his missis is called Anne, then I can send you his contact details. Salaams, Phil Roe
Old 27th July 2007, 10:54
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Gentlemen

Sandy's younger brother is called Frank and he was also a Brock's R/O. I don't know Sandy's whereabouts but I do have Frank's contact details and it seems highly likely Frank will know where his brother is. If anyone wants Frank's address please send me a private message and I will reply.
Old 27th July 2007, 14:54

Favourite ship

My favourite was Mathura on which I sailed as junior eng in 1970.
I find it difficult to recall all on board but here are some I remember. Chief eng. George Black + wife; 2nd eng Brian Pert; 3rd eng Charlie Drought +wife (Betty); 4th eng Tom Lilley; Chief elec Ted Goodwin. The old man was Captain James, can't remember his first name. The deck officers I can only remember first names, from the chief in descending order they were Derek; jack and Rhys. If anyone reads this who was on the Mathura at that time perhaps they can fill in missing names plus others I have not mentioned.
Cheers, Derek Scothern.