TUGBOAT Forager - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

TUGBOAT Forager

User Tag List

Old 5th December 2009, 17:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
For Todd and Billieboy :

Yes - per postings 9 and 25 above. The Hororata was certainly an unlucky ship for tugs.

Angus.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:10
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Perhaps this is the incident in mind?

ISELGARTH
O.N. 162155. 152g. 90.0 x 24.0 x 11.2 feet.
Two, C.2-cyl. (15" & 32" x 24") engines manufactured by Plenty & Son Ltd., Newbury, driving twin screws. 112 nhp. 8 tons bollard pull. 9 kts.
31.1.1949: Launched as GWENT by Charles Hill & Sons Ltd., Bristol (Yard No. 354) for the British Transport Commission.
6.1949: Completed. Registered at Newport.
1963: Transferred to the British Transport Docks Board.
14.7.1963: Purchased by R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London, and later renamed ISELGARTH. Re-registered at Cardiff.
01:55hrs - 15.1.1966: Collided with her tow, HORORATA, 12,090g. /42, off Penarth Head. Three crewmen were lost and three others were picked up by PLUMGARTH.
6.2.1966: Raised by T. H. Brown & Sons Ltd., Bristol, and subsequently placed in a drydock in Cardiff for inspection. Whilst the drydock was being drained ISELGARTH slipped off her blocks and landed in the bottom of the dock. Again she was refloated and the dock successfully drained.
Following inspection she was declared beyond economical repair and was sold to A. F. Knill & Company Ltd., Cardiff, for demolition.
The AF Knill referred to as the scrap dealer was the son of E.Knill who was a scrap merchant in Barry, he went to school in Barry with my Dad.

Also, this wasn't the first time the GWENT had dived on a job, I'm sure that she was the one I was referring to above.
Old 8th December 2009, 09:53

Angus

Thankyou so very much you have been so helpfull and kind in what you researched for me and for your own memories i would not have been able to have found out so much otherwise , this has been quite a journey for me and now i think it is coming to an end and i can put all the details together .
I didn't know my grandfather was on boats during the war or of his involvment during the war so its all news to me and i am very grateful to you .
so once again thankyou
Robert
Old 8th December 2009, 12:07

My location
Loss of the Clyde tug 'Forager'

Robert :

I am glad that you found the various items of information helpful. To close the chapter, it only remains to identify the place of interment. I would think it most probable it would be on the Island of Bute, this being the family homeplace at that time.

Thanks for acknowledgement, Robert.

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 9th December 2009, 22:05

Great to see Eriskay has returned and what a story so well told.
Strandloper
Old 10th December 2009, 00:22

My location
For Cormac

Thank you, Cormac, and good to see your name again. Do you still live on the mainland near Tory Island? I have a cousin (from the Western Isles) who visits Tory Island from time to time (as well as the Faroes and St. Kilda) as he has a great interest in the historic and cultural similarities between these communities. He is always trying to encourage me to tag along and hopefully one day I might just do that - I would like to see these places for myself. My son did a 6-7 month stint down on Sherkin Island (the Marine Station) and that's another area I would like to visit, but by the time I pay for his flights, hotels, etc, I can't stretch to it!

Hope this finds you well over there.

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 11th February 2014, 13:58

Skippers Daughter

Hi, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about a Tugboat out of the Greenock harbor that got into trouble around 25th Jan 1965. It was one of the "Flying ????" something or other. But 2 men were drowned and their bodies I don't think were ever found. The Skipper (my dad) that night was trapped in the wheel house with water up to his neck and almost drowned too. I think there was an American ship involved. I was just a little girl at the time. There was a lot of distruction that night in Greenock with hurricane winds and I remember my friends mother got killed when the roof was blown off her house. Any info on the tugboat would be great. Its always been a mystery to me. I could never find anything about this yet I remember newspaper reporters at our house. Thanks!
Old 11th February 2014, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiramms View Post
Hi, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about a Tugboat out of the Greenock harbor that got into trouble around 25th Jan 1965. It was one of the "Flying ????" something or other. But 2 men were drowned and their bodies I don't think were ever found. The Skipper (my dad) that night was trapped in the wheel house with water up to his neck and almost drowned too. I think there was an American ship involved. I was just a little girl at the time. There was a lot of distruction that night in Greenock with hurricane winds and I remember my friends mother got killed when the roof was blown off her house. Any info on the tugboat would be great. Its always been a mystery to me. I could never find anything about this yet I remember newspaper reporters at our house. Thanks!

The following is the only vessel of the Clyde Shipping Co. fleet that that I have a record of being in a trouble around the date you quote. There was another but that was at the end of 1971.

FLYING DIPPER
O.N. 300196. 274g. 113'10" x 29'11" x 12'3-1/4".
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) Polar type oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd., Glasgow. 1,040 bhp. 13 tons bollard pull.
11.12.1957: Launched by A. & J. Inglis Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 1615P) for the Clyde Shipping Company Ltd., Glasgow.
4.4.1958: Completed.
18.10.1966: Whilst assisting the British cargo liner DORIC (10,674g. /49), in Stephen’s basin was struck and holed by one of DORIC’s propellers and sank without loss of life.
9.12.1966: Raised with the aid of the Admiralty salvage vessel SUCCOUR (775g. /44), and sent for repair.
1975: Transferred to Clyde Shipping (Tugs) Ltd., Glasgow.
1977: Sold to Nautilus Continental Lines S. A., Panama, and renamed PAMELA JOY.
14.7.1978: During her delivery voyage from Hull to Kuwait, put into Lisbon having suffered fire damage.
21.7.1978: Suffered an engine room fire that caused the vessel to sink at her R. Tagus anchorage.
17.8.1978: Raised and sold to Joao Luis Russo & Filhos, Setubal, for demolition.
Old 12th February 2014, 14:22

Thank you all! The date of 1965 is pretty accurate. I also remember the Daily Express a Glasgow Scotland large newspaper coming to my parents house and there was a picture of my dad with his arm in a sling. I think it was the Flying Dolphin, I have trawled the internet and can't find
anything, I think it was hushed up because it was an American supply ship that may have caused the accident. 2 men were drowned and their bodies never found. Their clothes eventually washed up on shore. Thanks for your help.
Old 7th May 2015, 23:19

I came across this thread when searching for information on my Great Grandfather, James Cunningham. We knew he had been involved in some sort of ship sinking (actually we believe he was involved in two) and that he was a chief engineer. Through my research I was able to find out that he was on a tug that sunk in the Clyde and thank you google I ended up here. My mother is going to be so happy to have some information at last, she was very close to her Grandfather but for many reasons doesn't have much family information.

I would be so appreciative if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could maybe find some pictures, my mum would love to see some.
Old 8th May 2015, 07:22
Department: Deck

My location
The Flying Dolphin was going under the bow of a US Supply vessel heading into Holy Loch to the Submarine depot ship Proteus. If my memory is correct the ship was almost stopped and suddenly went ahead and hit the dolphin. The tug was one of Clyde Shipping Company who had their office in the Greencok.
Old 29th August 2015, 00:58

I was just revisiting this thread to see if there were any more posts and realised that I am an idiot and put my grandfathers name instead of my mothers! James Cavanagh was my mother's Grandfather - I need to stay away from the keyboard when I am tired!

I still haven't found much more information or pictures, but mum was comforted by the information in this thread so thank you so much for that.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:24

Hi there.
I know this thread is a few years old. Im looking to access the photographs, however, http://www.clydesite.co.uk is no longer an active website ?