What was your favourite Brock's ship and why? - Ships Nostalgia
01:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What was your favourite Brock's ship and why?

User Tag List

Old 14th June 2007, 11:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
What was your favourite Brock's ship and why?

We have the reputation of being the most active single company thread on the board but we have not posted a single message between us since 6th June.

To get things going I have decided to start the above thread which should get the grey cells working. Please list your favourite ship, some details of the voyage and also list as many people as you can remember on board.

I know the ship and voyage but I am going away to think of the names.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Phil Roe (Philthechill)

Instead of favourite ship (probably later!!).I'll name my least favourite ship and try remember some names! Ship:- "Matheran", Year:- 1961-62, Master:- Dennis Keller, Mate:- Phil Owen, Chief Engineer:- John Skillicorn, 2nd:- Dicky Hope, 3rd:- Billy 'Helmet' Linstead, 4th:- Billy Muir, Jr4th:- Self, 5th :- Jack Dransfield (I think). Chief Steward was (probably) Ben Rimmer. Other names escape me. We left Tilbury November 1961 and arrived back in Liverpool May 1962. The outward-bound passage, up to the Canal, wasn't too eventful with Jack (panch sahib) and myself on day-work overhauling those God-awful open crankshaft Clarke-Chapman winches which had been severely thrashed round the land and were, consequently, in need of some serious TLC!!! On arrival at Port Said we were then put on watch to traverse the Canal reverting to day-work once we got in the Red Sea. Jack was a relocated "Jock" from Corby and thought he was tough enough to work on the winches, in the blazing sun of the Red Sea, without any form of cover on his back. Me being an old hand of two voyages experience (!) knew better and wore a tee-shirt! Jack was soon the agonised owner of a giant, family-size blister, on his shoulders which earned him a severe bollocking from John D (Skillicorn) as he, Jack, was in quite a lot of pain from said blister, and mandatory sunburn, and was excused duties, for a day, by Ben. Which meant I was left to soldier on by myself on the winches! Needless to say poor old Jack was as popular as a dose of crabs!!! We had cargo for Jeddah and then Aden for binoculars, watches (Favre Leuber to flog in Cal), mechanical toys (remember the little yapping dogs which would do somersaults and the robots?) cameras etc. etc. Oh yes I believe we took bunkers, oil and water ('orrible stuff from Aden!!!) too! We left Aden Colombo-bound and, half-way between the two, we lost the water in the port boiler and 'started' a few tubes! Bummer!!! John D, being first trip Chief, decided we should take turns going up the back-ends to try expand the 'started' tubes and duly got the furnace-fronts swung back in readiness to do this "Boys Own" stunt. Me, being an abject coward, refused point-blank saying I thought it too dangerous to do this as it was far too hot inside the furnaces. This made me Public Enemy No.1 there and then, and for the rest of the trip with JD, as he probably felt I was undermining his authority. After informing me, "I'll talk to YOU later Mr." he got the Serang to chuck some hatchboards into the bottom furnace, wrapped some wet sacks round his shoulders and crawled into the furnace. Two minutes, or so, later, he came out with his face like a well-smacked **** saying we wouldn't bother as it was far too hot to work for any length of time and the project was abandoned. However I was still PE No.1!!! We limped to Colombo on two boilers to arrive at the start of a prolonged dock strike!!! Because of our needing boiler-repairs we were allowed to jump the queue and we were tied-up astern of that abandoned Sam-boat "Valiant Enterprise" out on the breakwater. We eventually got the boiler-repairs done (supervised by Harry De Voss who worked for Walkers then but eventually joined Brocks. Anyone recall Harry? Smashing bloke! Another supervisor there was Stan ?). After the strike had finished and we got rid of our cement we went round to Trinco to load tea for home. We set sail for home but we very nearly had to divert to meet-up with the "Canberra" to get John D's missis transferred as she had picked-up some ear infection in the Colombo Swimming Club and she was in all sorts of agony. Luckily Ben, under guidance from "Canberra's" Doctor, got her sorted-out by dint of an injection of penicillin. All was going reasonably well 'til we got to Port Sudan. We'd been shut down as there was quite a lot of cargo to load. Eventually cargo was finished and, after commencing sea-going watches 24 hours earlier we were just about squared away to sail at 22.00, on departure day, when the air-pump stopped working! All hands went down below to give a hand to get it sorted-out. The valve-shuttle needed changing! Then, one after another, various other pumps stopped working and we had to change the valve-shuttles on every one!! I must point-out that everybody except myself (stupidly) had gone up-top "for a blow" at some time, during all this activity, as the temperatures were ferocious. Eventually we were ready and every one went up top except myself, 'Helmet' (the reason for his being nicknamed 'Helmet' was all too apparent when you saw him step-out of the shower!!!) Linstead and Jack the panch sahib. I remember the telegraph ringing 'Stand By' and the next thing I remember was being laid in my cabin having difficulty breathing and a load of fans blowing on me to try bring my temperature down as I had collapsed with a dose of heat-exhaustion! I was excused duties for a couple of watches as I was weak as a kitten. I then turned-to on 12-4 with 'Helmet'. I was to run the watch as he was in the process of o'hauling one of the Sterne's fridge compressors. One afternoon watch I got a sudden very strong smell of Ammonia on the plates! 'Helmet' had pulled a discharge stop-valve from its body but, unfortunately, there was still some gas in the pipe-line and he got it full in the face! Fortunately we were only a couple of hours out of Suez and he was landed there, hospitalised and subsequently repatriated. I was 'promoted' to 3rd (well ok I was only running the 12-4!) and we wended our stately (13kts with a 12kt wind behind us!!) way home. JD asked me if I was coming back the following voyage!!!! Guess what the answer was!! (To give you a clue it wasn't "Yes") Yup! I can safely say the "Matheran" was my least-favourite ship!! Sorry this yarn has taken so much space to recount! Salaams! Phil

Last edited by Philthechill; 14th June 2007 at 23:02..
Old 14th June 2007, 18:06
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

O.K. Here is a start. The Magdapur was my favourite ship. Mainly because I had sailed on her as Apprentice in 1946/7 and again as Chief Officer from '58 thru to the end of 1960. Does Capt. John Richardson ring any bells? He was followed by Capt. John Nutall (quite a cultural shock) I might add.
I am scratching around for other names but the grey cells ar squeaking. I remember Roger Bentley and John Millichap,Tony Dunster, Peter Lewis.Chief Engineer Don Clark Purser/Chief Steward Tod Sloane Tony Dick.
How's that for a start?
Old 14th June 2007, 20:13

My location
Tony, A good subject for a new thread. For me it's a toss up between the Malakand and the Makrana.

On balance, the Malakand. She was like a well-worn, comfortable old slipper. Yes, the steam winches were bl$$dy noisy, the radio gear had to be the oldest in the fleet, and no forced-air ventilation system, never mind air-conditioning, and a journey in the outside world to reach the bridge deck to get to the radio room which was behind the chartroom. Heating was by old cast-iron radiators. The "Old Man" was "Paddy" Redden and he used to share the 8-12 in the evening with the 3/O. When I came off watch, the secunny was sent aft for a smoko, Paddy brewed the tea and I took a trick on the wheel (no auto pilot). Everybody mixed really well. The 3/E was "Black Bob" McGregor who was a Ch. Eng with MacBraynes but was sailing with us to see his family in Calcutta. There were several memorable parties on the strength of that. We had a major shut down in Calcutta and everybody turned to in the engine room to grind-in and re-pack steam valves. Malakand was also the only ship I sailed on where the engineers used to visit the bridge and congregate in the chartroon. Other names that I recall: Ch. Eng. ..... Schubert, 2/E John Hoy, 5/E Roy Doke, P/CS George Godfrey, Deck App. Hugh Shuttleworth, Chippy Dave Brewer. I'll edit this note if I recall any more names.

= salaam es BV = John/gwzm + VA
Old 14th June 2007, 21:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwzm View Post
Tony, A good subject for a new thread. For me it's a toss up between the Malakand and the Makrana.

Other names that I recall: Ch. Eng. ..... Schubert, 2/E John Hoy, 5/E Roy Doke, P/CS George Godfrey, Deck App. Hugh Shuttleworth, Chippy Dave Brewer. I'll edit this note if I recall any more names.

= salaam es BV = John/gwzm + VA
4/ETiger Rawes , snr Deck App Dave Cox. C/O Phil Owen, 2/O Colin Kingston

Salaams
Old 14th June 2007, 21:19

My location
I am only a shiplovers and MASKELYA like me!!!
Gp
Old 15th June 2007, 01:01

My location
Thanks Hugh, I can remember faces but I've a dreadful memory for names.

All the best,

John/gwzm
Old 15th June 2007, 17:27
Active: 1950 - 1961

For me there are two favourites first the Maskeliya in 1955, A E Evans the Old Man a Welshman who lived in Dundee, Pem was Mate, Phil Cooper 2/O, Phil Owen 3/O, Johh Hornsby 4/O, Apprentices Cosker and Bell. Initially the finest feeder in Brocks was P/CH Stwd Brian Turner who unfortunately had to leave due to a bereavement and was replaced by Ted Hannah. Bill Ritch MBE was the 1st R/O and I was 2R/O. I can see the engineers' faces but cannot sadly remember all their names, but one was a New Zealander getting his steam time in. The second was a Scotsman called George Black, a very jolly chap. There was also another George who was a Geordie!. It was a memorable voyage for me as I was to get married at the end of the trip. I missed the first date as we ran into heavy weather after leaving NY and finished up putting into the Azores for extra bunkers. She was a very happy ship and I enjoyed my time in her. More about the Magdapur my other favourite in another post. Salaams, Roger Bentley
Old 15th June 2007, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
We have the reputation of being the most active single company thread on the board but we have not posted a single message between us since 6th June.

To get things going I have decided to start the above thread which should get the grey cells working. Please list your favourite ship, some details of the voyage and also list as many people as you can remember on board.

I know the ship and voyage but I am going away to think of the names.
Manaar was my favourite ship. I sailed on her maiden voyage as senior apprentice. The Old Man was Archie Bannatyne, c/o John Clarke, Chief Eng Andie Mackie, 2/E Alf Wilson, a wonderful man, CRo " Tubby" Halton
I subsequently did 3 voyages as apprentice, 1 voyage as uncert 4th Mate,
then later on with a mates ticket, I sailed 2 voyages as third mate, and three as second mate, and I coasted her as Mate. The picture of her that adorned the stairwell leading to the mates accommodation is in pride of place in my living room. I have very fond memories of that ship!!
Old 15th June 2007, 20:21
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Good thread Tony(Have sent you a belated Message!).
Happiest ship was probably the MAHOUT and our stay in Savannah early 69,
Duncan Campbell was old man,Jimmy Grant(Ch.Eng), Erin Jackson(c/o),JD Wort(2 Eng).etc.etc.
A really good trip but had to take her back to Cal. after the strike. We arranged for a reunion later, which we had at Jim Worts and everyone was there bar J.Grant.A good trip with great comrades. Don.
Old 16th June 2007, 10:29

My location
Interesting that you should should choose Mahout and your stay in Savannah in the dock strike Don. I have been stuck between a trip on the Matra in 1964 with you and my year on Maturata in 1969 which also included a very long time in Boston during the same strike, which although boring at times was great fun. Having started the thread I am now stuck on the fence and may have to include both.
Old 16th June 2007, 13:14

My location
I have finally decided I can't make up my mind which was my favourite so I will list both.

Matra: Oct 1964 to Feb 1965. My second trip as a Chota Marconi Sahib.
Capt Maclaren, C/O John Munro, 2/O Nigel James, 3/O Mike James, Apprentices Needham and Davison. R/O Keith Forster, 2R/O self, PC/S Bob Webb, PC/S Doug Cullen. C/E ??, 2/E Derek Machin, S3/E Brian Saunders, J3/E Ed Putnam, 4/E Charlie Drought, 5/E John Bishop. Sen Elect. John Campbell, 2/Elect ??. I thought Don Macleod had been 2/Elect but he tells me he left at the end of the first voyage so for now I can't remember who it was.

Maturata: Sept 1968 to May 1969. Capt Butch Ward, C/O Colin Kingston, 2/O Alan Lord, 3/O Erik ?? (Norwegian). No apprentices that I can remember. R/O self. PC/S Mike Voysey. Infuriatingly I cannot remember a single name of an engineer or Electrician which is amazing really because I spent a long time on there and got to know them well. I can see several faces but putting names to them is a different matter. Maturata was on charter to Anchor Line at this time and we were on the North Atlantic run which if you have served on her or Maskeliya you will be aware that those two could roll on wet grass without taking on the North Atlantic in winter. Butch Ward ran a good ship and despite the run they were good days and we had a great time whilst stuck in a snowy Boston during the dock strike. I was very sad to hear that Captain Ward has passed away..

Last edited by Tony Selman; 16th June 2007 at 18:59..
Old 16th June 2007, 19:50
Active: 1950 - 1961

My second favourite was the Magdapur. On the trip with John Richardson that Tony Sprigings has mentioned, we had a really good crowd and Mrs Elsie Richardson was with us, as was for part of the trip Mrs Joan Sprigings. We had a bit of excitement running aground near Pensacola. With a mention on the local radio to the effect "British freighter Magdapur has run aground in Pensacola Bay (and then with much emphasis) so far she had not asked for coastguard assistance" I remember the pre dinner drinks session in Tony (?) Millichap's cabin where Tony Sprigings often joined us. Keith McGinty the assistant Purser CH/Stwd was fascinated with Percy Yates accent, and often in Calcutta would wait until he was in the saloon in the morning when he had come aboard in his authority as shore super, once he was safely behind the door, Keith would at the top of his voice imitating a pukka sahib, roar out "Morning Perwhercy" sounding like some old Colonel. I can remember things like that now, but forget what happened yesterday! I have a full list of the European crew from the Christmas menu. Salaams, Roger
Old 17th June 2007, 05:08
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
A very difficult choice !

I keep thinking of Mahsud as I stood bye her as 4th Eng and eventually sailed as Chief for a number of trips ;

However I have a small pleasure craft ( 23 ft ) which I named Mahout !
Therefore Mahout has it .

She was my first Diesel ship as apprentice and I sailed again on her as 5th Eng . Sailed later on Markor as 3rd Eng .

Great ships and wonderfull people.

Regards Derek

PS One never forgets ones First Deep Sea Trip . That was Maipura ; a lovely vessel .

Tony this is a very trying question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th June 2007, 17:58
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Like others before me I find it difficult to decide on "favourite" Brocklebank ship.
Two trips on MAIDAN in 1963 - Capt Keller, C/E Bill Wood, Ben Lyon 2/E, Brian (Boots) Baxter Snr 3/E. Stuart Smith Eng App. Colin Kingston 3/O.
Followed by one on MATHURA in 1964, Capt Eddy, C/E George Black, George Snaith 2/E, John Roberts Snr 4/E - we were J/Es on Furness Withy's Pacific Unity for two trips. Barry Shawcross 2/O.
Relegation followed with four trips on MAGDAPUR 1964-66 Capts Turner and Sinclair, C/E Alf Manley and Jake Donnelly, John Mackay and Tony Dick 2/E
Brian Baxter (again) and Brian Cotterill Snr 3/E Jack Wilson Jnr 3/E Norman McGovern Jnr 4/E, Brian Gracie and Tery Lomas 5/E. Geoff Turner Eng App. Giovanni Webster 2/O Roger Newton 3/O, Dave Peese 4/O Dave York Chippie.
MATHURA as Brock's finest turbine steamer with the most up to date propulsion plant should be the obvious choice.
MAIDAN as first trip with Brocks and my first 2/E job approx 4 years after first joining her as 5/E is a serious contender.
However four trips on MAGDAPUR just edges it despite being inferior from an engineering point of view. Life was never easy on the "Maggie" - The Foster Wheeler external de-superheaters were always a source of concern. But I think there was always a good crowd to be found on the "Black Four".
Bosses like Jake Donnelly and Tony Dick ( sadly neiher no longer with us) were a big influence on me and my choice of MAGDAPUR as my favourite Brocklebank ship.

Jim S
Old 17th June 2007, 18:21

Good choice Derek,I have one picture hanging in my "office" and that is the MAHOUT still in it's original frame with a wee label stuck on the back which states Druba Paul,memories!
I was very attached to MAIHAR and MAHSUD as well,they were new,innovative and a bit challenging to start with but it was very gratifying to go from Japan to Panama without a "blackout" Alan had (as I remember) eleven on the MAHSUD on one passage.Yes! happy days but didn't we learn a lot.You must have been on her when she"clutched in" in Colombo? Dave Meek was chief. Him and I did a couple of stints together on MAIHAR.
Going back to your thread Tony I reckon MATRA was my favourite ship as she was my first ship for three trips and also took her on the final voyage(already posted this)Charlie Drought was there as well.
Must go now as the Grand Prix build up has started.
Old 18th June 2007, 01:11
Super Moderator

My location
Don ;
No I was not on her in Colombo when she clutched in ! Dave Meek was Chief and I can tell you of his account if you wish by PM . Alan Atack
joined her in Singapore as Chief to effect repairs . The Bow was set back 22 feet but the collison bulkhead was intact and Lloyds allowed her to sail in that condition to Singapore or pehaps it was Hong Kong for repairs .
Alan has a picture of her ( Which he cant find !!!) with the bow set back like a concertina .
Regards Derek
Old 18th June 2007, 18:38

Derek
Thanks for that ,but remember seeing the pics of her and Dave told me the story so it still sticks in the "old" grey cells.I seem to remember she went to HK for repairs.
Regards Donald.
Old 19th June 2007, 03:41
Super Moderator

My location
Ill give Allan a "bell ' and see what he can add and ahve him look for the oics one more time . Old man lost his job over the affair ( was demoted to mate ) real pity as I understand he was a good guy .
Derek
Old 19th June 2007, 15:57
Peter Bryant

My location
I was fortunate enough to be 3rd Mate on Masirah from Feb '62 to Nov '63 and just remember her as a very happy ship with just the odd incident or two to keep things interesting. Sadly the years have erased most of my shipmates' names, though I hope Capt Sprigings and others can recall their time on her during those years. Capt Simpson was the constant factor with Tony Sprigings and then Sam Baxter as First Mates. Trevor Williams, I think, was 2nd Mate throughout the period. So long as the Third Mate could make decent coffee there were no problems with Capt Simpson who, over the intercom, would invite himself to the bridge at 2100 hrs each night. He seemed genuinely interested in people and I never feared those 20 minute episodes. One night in the Med we were in the middle of a Royal Navy "Darkened Ship" exercise. I thought we had all seen the notice on the chartroom table and casually pointed out the shape of a destroyer passing at speed about half-a-mile down our port side. He choked on his coffee and ordered me in no uncertain terms to signal her in protest. I had visions of me ruining a complete NATO exercise or getting the sack for insubordination. Fortunately I managed to delay things long enough for him to read the notice and all was well.

I attach a picture of a funnel I have made in preparation for completing a model of the Masirah - original plans obtained from Glasgow University Archives which hold the plans for most of Brocks post-war fleet. At a scale of 1/96 the funnel is 5.25 inches high. Family illness is preventing me from continuing with what will be a 3-year project.

Kind regards to all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6190162.jpg (19.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P6050115.jpg (10.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 19th June 2007, 17:26

My location
Brocklebanks

Without a doubt my trip on the Mahanada 1957-58 was the best!Great crew ,wonderfull voyage and my favourite ship.second place goes to the Maihar,only deck cadet on board,second trip.Transported to India and back at a stately pace and seeing all there was to be seen.

skymaster
Old 19th June 2007, 21:24

Favourite ships

Two trips on Mahiar (I) of course!
First ship in Brocklebank after a disastrous first trip at sea trip on Union Castle's Bullard King's Natal line's Umgeni as 8th engineer, after being shanghaed there from Clan Line, Brocklebank was like night and day.
Joined Maihar as 4th Eng. at Gyproc Quay Glasgow on 23/5/1957 where A. Stephens had almost rebuilt her, worth while for a 1917 ship to Brocklebank as the berths were full at that time. New accommodation, built in swimming pool aft of the funnel (no wood and canvas lash up!) 4 new boilers, all pumps and recip. engine rebuilt by makers Kincaid.
Wonderful to stand and at the forward end of the engine to watch the 54 inch stroke cranks revolving at our average of 61.5 RPM, LP cyl was 80 inch dia. so possibly was the largest triple expansion engine afloat at that time.
Ch. Eng,. great guy Russell Gordon, firts trip as chief
2nd Eng. Jack Evans
Capt. "Crikey" Morris, first as master
Ch Stew. Jim Sunners
Sparks Cliff Watson and Ron MacMurtrie
cannot recall any other names,
Same on next trip but Jack Evans was Ch Eng.
Next ship was three trips on Manipur.
One of so called "black four"
A workhouse but promotion was swift as very few engineers came back next trip!
Leaky economiser tubes and uptake casing at back of boilers were a problem, struggle to keep up with feed water usage had to call at Malta and Algiers on way across to USA to top up.
Went from Extra 4th to Jun 3rd in three trips.
Names I recall
Ch Eng Johnny MacCallum 3 trips
2nd Bob Beattie two trips and Chris O'Grady next, from Blue Funnel
3rd Bob Hollingsworth and Jeff Purnell
Ch Elec Les Dow, two trips 2nd Harry Allison, one trip Alan Barr
4th Eng Alan Ross
Ch Steward Stan Devaroux, 2nd Les Flockhart.
Radio Op.Sandy Dunn
Easiest ship- Masirah coastal voyage, great parties at Middlesborough!
Ch Eng. Trevor (?) Jones
2nd Larry Cleall-Harding
3rd Eric Lorimer
Radio Ian King-Gabb
Next best Matra
Old 24th June 2007, 18:59
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Thumbs up Maipura and Mangla!

I was very fond of Maipura as she was an easy-steaming ship and invariably had a good crowd on her. I was on her from February 1966 'til September 1968 so I must have been quite happy there!! However I think my favourite, even though I only was on her for a year, (being removed to go to Wallsend to stand by "Conveyor") has to be Mangla or, as "Pem" referred to her, "one of Brock's Stately Homes".
For an engineer you couldn't wish for a better engine-room with, for a change, an excess of generating capacity. Her three W.H. Allen slow-revving (400 r.p.m.) alternators were an absolute gem of an engine compared to the Ruston's on the "Black Four", "Makrana", "Mahseer" etc. etc. Plus, of course the Belliss and Morcomb turbo-alternator which was capable of handling all the electrical-load at sea thereby allowing the Allens to be maintained in tip-top condition, as they would be shut down. Two Foster-Wheeler ES boilers supplied main steam but they were never as problematic as the boilers on the "Black Four". Decent accommodation too with reasonable a/c. An absolute dream to manouevre too!!! All-in-all an extremely good ship and one of the best Brock's ever, (in my opinion at least!), had. Bot teek-hai!!! Burra salaams! Phil
Old 24th June 2007, 23:26
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Mangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthechill View Post
I was very fond of Maipura as she was an easy-steaming ship and invariably had a good crowd on her. I was on her from February 1966 'til September 1968 so I must have been quite happy there!! However I think my favourite, even though I only was on her for a year, (being removed to go to Wallsend to stand by "Conveyor") has to be Mangla or, as "Pem" referred to her, "one of Brock's Stately Homes".
For an engineer you couldn't wish for a better engine-room with, for a change, an excess of generating capacity. Her three W.H. Allen slow-revving (400 r.p.m.) alternators were an absolute gem of an engine compared to the Ruston's on the "Black Four", "Makrana", "Mahseer" etc. etc. Plus, of course the Belliss and Morcomb turbo-alternator which was capable of handling all the electrical-load at sea thereby allowing the Allens to be maintained in tip-top condition, as they would be shut down. Two Foster-Wheeler ES boilers supplied main steam but they were never as problematic as the boilers on the "Black Four". Decent accommodation too with reasonable a/c. An absolute dream to manouevre too!!! All-in-all an extremely good ship and one of the best Brock's ever, (in my opinion at least!), had. Bot teek-hai!!! Burra salaams! Phil
Phil,
I believe the turbo-alternators on Mangla and Mathura were by Peter Brotherhood not Bellis & Morcom. They were back pressure, non condensing types. I agree the Foster Wheeler ESD boilers with double skinned casings operating on balanced draught with vane controlled Forced and Induced draught fans were a dream compared to the single skinned Foster Wheeler D Type of the "Black Four" with their numerouis gas leaks.

Jim S
Old 25th June 2007, 11:33

I agree with Phil that they were Bellis & Morcom turbos.Cheers Donald.

Last edited by Don A.Macleod; 25th June 2007 at 16:54..