Mabel Warwick - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mabel Warwick

User Tag List

Old 22nd September 2007, 11:29
user

My location
Thanks John for your useful comment and guide as the the correct date of the photograph.
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:37

Thanks, John. At least I got the river right!

John T.
Old 23rd December 2007, 15:38

Mabel Warwick

Sailed on as Eng Cadet from May 72 till Aug 72 wish I could remember what we got up to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus a bit of History

BUILT IN 1960 AT W.HARTLEPOOL, BY GRAY & CO. SHE WAS OWNED BY VALLUM SHIPPING CO, BUT MANAGED BY HOULDERS.AFTER LAUNCH SHE WAS CHARTERED TO THE BRITISH STEEL CORPORATION. IN 1975 SHE WAS SOLD TO CELIKA NAVIGATION (CYPRUS) AND RE-NAMED NIKOLAOS MALEFAKIS. IN 1980 SHE WAS SOLD TO THE RUBINI SHIPPING CO (GREECE ) AND RE-NAMED RUBINI.IN 1982 SHE HAD ENGINE PROBLEMS ON ARRIVAL AT PIRAEUS AND WAS LAID UP. IN 1982 IT WAS DEEMED SHE WAS NOT WORTH REPAIRING AND SHE WAS SCRAPPED THE SAME YEAR IN PERAMA
Old 5th January 2008, 23:37
user

My location
Vallum Shipping Company Ltd., was just a convenient financial vehicle within Houlders and also owned OREGIS, OREMINA, ST MARGARET (ex Joya McCance) and JOYA MCCANCE (ex Beauval)
Old 8th January 2008, 01:13

Joined the MW in Newport April 73. She was lying across from the Edenmore which was my first ship.My first trip only lasted 3 weeks because of the tragic accommodation fire which killed the Chief Eng. and the Sparky.Did 3 months on MW with trips to Amsterdam, Port Cartier, Nouadibou and Narvik. I remember the trip to PC taking 14 days through hurricane force winds, fog and icebergs, loading in 6 hours including deballasting and about 12 days back.The trip stands out because the date of my 17th birthday was the day Sunderland beat Leeds in the FA Cup final and most of the crew were from the North East (Captain was John Potter).Celebrations (except the Geordies!)went on most of the night although I don't remember much!!! I suppose I shouldn't have been drinking at that age.A nice ship and a good introduction to life at sea.I got a Stolt tanker next!!
Old 8th January 2008, 02:10

Hadn't heard of the accommodation fire before. Would you know the name of the Sparks who died? Thanks.

John T.
Old 8th January 2008, 02:51

The Sparky was a young Marconi guy- Barry Humphry (I think). The Chief was Colin Craig, who only rejoined the ship that night. I later sailed with his son,Allan.Master at the time was Alfie Kirkby and Chief was Dick Scott.
Old 8th January 2008, 03:50

Thanks for that. Don't think I new either of them, but very sad all the same.

John T.
Old 20th May 2015, 15:01

At their births

I served my time as a Marine Engineer 57 to 62 and worked on both ships, especially the Mable Warwick. It seemed to follow me through the various depts at William Gray.
In my earl days in the machine shop, I machine its pistons , conn rods and Cyl Liners. In the fitting shop I worked on its assembly and Engine trials. Moving out to the fitting out dept. I was involved in fitting its rudder and Prop shafts and Propeller, after its launch I installed it Steering Gear and Diesel Generators.
It came as a great shock when just before its sea trials I was moved back inside the Engine works and missed its trials. I complained to no avail, but was promised I could go on the Joyce C Mc.Cann tials, which I did. Both lovely looking Ships
Old 20th May 2015, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Blues View Post
It must have been 1973 or 74 when I was on the MW. We lost a crew member overboard in Vitoria, Brazil. A really nice guy who worked in the engine room. I think he was called Alex, a Geordie who had served in the war feeding German POWs at Haltwhistle. He had a passion for hating Germans. He was buried at a site near the port at a ceremony attended by all of us from the MW.
I served on Mabel Warwick in '74,don't recall losing anybody overboard,it must have been '73 when you were on her, can't recall many of the crew that was on her that trip,which is very annoying at times when I read guys on here naming crews like it was yesterday.

Last edited by Quantam Leap; 20th May 2015 at 15:55..
Old 24th May 2015, 16:12
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Vallum Shipping Company Ltd., was just a convenient financial vehicle within Houlders and also owned OREGIS, OREMINA, ST MARGARET (ex Joya McCance) and JOYA MCCANCE (ex Beauval)
Just spotted the above after been away from site for a while.....'tis an old one but totally inaccurate...Vallum was the name Common Bros. gave their ore carriers on charter to BISC(Ore)Ltd; under the Iron forename.....The Houlders vessels were Ore Carriers Ltd and I still wear their tie...mainly at funerals now!
When the Mabel Warwick and the ore carrier (not tanker) Joya McCance were built at Hartlepool they were two of the smartest ships we had paintwise, and we had some good 'uns...

geoff
Old 11th May 2016, 18:14

It was April 1974 when we lost Alex overboard alongside in Vitoria. I was having a beer with him down on the poop when he jumped overboard. He was gone when we pulled him out. Alex is buried in Vitoria.
My name is Tom, the R/O on MW that trip. Cheers.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothelion View Post
I served my time as a Marine Engineer 57 to 62 and worked on both ships, especially the Mable Warwick. It seemed to follow me through the various depts at William Gray.
In my earl days in the machine shop, I machine its pistons , conn rods and Cyl Liners. In the fitting shop I worked on its assembly and Engine trials. Moving out to the fitting out dept. I was involved in fitting its rudder and Prop shafts and Propeller, after its launch I installed it Steering Gear and Diesel Generators.
It came as a great shock when just before its sea trials I was moved back inside the Engine works and missed its trials. I complained to no avail, but was promised I could go on the Joyce C Mc.Cann tials, which I did. Both lovely looking Ships
Hopefully you are still reading as I am trying to find information on a Launch or possibly two that Willie Gray used, the vessel that I remember was either ex wartime MTB or ex ASR built by British Power Boats judging by the Hull shape. Crosswaites apparently towed them from the Southern Region to The Yard in Hartlepool.
They had a superb Hull shape but the superstructure was changed for a box shaped structure, the engines had unfettered exhaust's which could be heard from Smiths Dock as the proceeded along the Tees.
Any information would be welcome

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 16th May 2016, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Hopefully you are still reading as I am trying to find information on a Launch or possibly two that Willie Gray used, the vessel that I remember was either ex wartime MTB or ex ASR built by British Power Boats judging by the Hull shape. Crosswaites apparently towed them from the Southern Region to The Yard in Hartlepool.
They had a superb Hull shape but the superstructure was changed for a box shaped structure, the engines had unfettered exhaust's which could be heard from Smiths Dock as the proceeded along the Tees.
Any information would be welcome
Found this photograph of the Gray Gull (Gray Birds) which is the launch I think you're referring to. Unfortunately there is no info. to go with the picture.
http://hhtandn.org/gallery/261/grays...-and-vehicles#
Old 17th May 2016, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeblowertel View Post
Found this photograph of the Gray Gull (Gray Birds) which is the launch I think you're referring to. Unfortunately there is no info. to go with the picture.
http://hhtandn.org/gallery/261/grays...-and-vehicles#
Thanks very much for the photograph I have been searching for some time for a photograph of Gray Gull, as you see she had a superb fast boat Hull shape, certainly looks British Power Boat built. I watched her many times going past with her rather loud exhaust which ran up both sides of the Wheelhouse. Did you ever get aboard her?
Still trying to get information on her Service background.

Old 17th May 2016, 13:26

Quote:
Thanks very much for the photograph I have been searching for some time for a photograph of Gray Gull, as you see she had a superb fast boat Hull shape, certainly looks British Power Boat built. I watched her many times going past with her rather loud exhaust which ran up both sides of the Wheelhouse. Did you ever get aboard her?
Still trying to get information on her Service background.
I believe I was on her a few times, although I'm afraid I can't remember much about her. She was berthed at Graythorp where I served my apprenticeship. A wonderful place to work with a truly great set of men, just wish I could go back to those happy times. I found this article about Grays, and as you can see there's another picture in which she's featured, although you can't see much of her. Just scroll down and there she is, and it does say she's an ex MTB.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-22526495

Last edited by 173898; 17th May 2016 at 15:06..
Old 18th May 2016, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeblowertel View Post
I believe I was on her a few times, although I'm afraid I can't remember much about her. She was berthed at Graythorp where I served my apprenticeship. A wonderful place to work with a truly great set of men, just wish I could go back to those happy times. I found this article about Grays, and as you can see there's another picture in which she's featured, although you can't see much of her. Just scroll down and there she is, and it does say she's an ex MTB.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-22526495
Thank You once again, the picture you highlight is the one I have although the caption was not attached when I saw it at the Hartlepool Museum a couple of years ago, the only other information I have is that she was possibly obtained from Bolsons on the South Coast who were I believe charged with selling ex War Department Craft, I would presume? that Grays carried out the conversion work themselves.
Her Planing Hull was designed by the great George Selman/Scott Paine partnership, the design features are still used today although in Plastic.
From Racehorse to Workhorse in a few short years.
Nice place to serve your time up the Creek especially in Summer do you remember the vessel that came out of Graythorp failed to turn to Port and went straight into the opposite riverbank?

Last edited by chadburn; 18th May 2016 at 17:06..
Old 18th May 2016, 19:06

Quote:
Thank You once again, the picture you highlight is the one I have although the caption was not attached when I saw it at the Hartlepool Museum a couple of years ago, the only other information I have is that she was possibly obtained from Bolsons on the South Coast who were I believe charged with selling ex War Department Craft, I would presume? that Grays carried out the conversion work themselves.
Her Planing Hull was designed by the great George Selman/Scott Paine partnership, the design features are still used today although in Plastic.
From Racehorse to Workhorse in a few short years.
Nice place to serve your time up the Creek especially in Summer do you remember the vessel that came out of Graythorp failed to turn to Port and went straight into the opposite riverbank?
You're welcome.
I'm afraid I've been up the creek quite a few times in my life, but Graythorp was a very special place. Coincidentally I met up with one of my old chargehands today, he was saying how everyone loved the place, and it didn't matter where they'd gone on to work afterwards it was always Graythorp that they wanted to talk about.
I can't recall the ship that failed to make the turn, but I was there when a boiler exploded on a ship called the H. Westfal Larsen and killed or injured several men working in the engine room. I think she was later named Heranger. I also think (if I remember correctly) that she had a crest on her bridge commemorating her involvement during the Flying Enterprise incident.
Old 18th May 2016, 20:05

The Gray Dove looks very much like the ex Ships Lifeboat conversions that families lived on further up the Creek, nothing much there now barring for the Grey Seals, bird spotters and a few posts that supported the platforms alongside the ex Lifeboat homes.
I always go the Seaton Carew way to Hartlepool Marina with the Grandchildren, the Marina is a busy place now with a lot of strange looking wind Farm Vessels moored there.