Liverpool Pub Nostalgia - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
12:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

User Tag List

Old 2nd July 2012, 15:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I have just Googled Aintree Iron and there are loads of equally plausible explanations of the words.As always there is a nugget of truth in most of the reasoning,apart from the religious fanatic,and some of them are quite reasoned.The Aintree Iron and Steelworks public toilets,the shape of Aintree racecourse,the block of buildings that include the Flat Iron pub,the LFC team that included Tommy Smith(and he was just hard you should have seen him play)and the old railway tracks to Southport.However overriding all this is Mike McGears admission that he`s not going to say what it is.......maybe he made it up.I lived in the Liverpool area for 15 years both north and south and I never heard the expression used.The OHR was the dockers umbrella and I never heard the Aintree Iron and Steelworks mentioned in any of the many times it was discussed and boy was it regularly mentioned,mourned and discussed
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:45

Travelling on the overhead one fine day wearing my brand new light grey suit made to measure by Brass And Jacksons London Rd, a docker of huge proportions bumped into me, he must have been unloading carbon black,or eh says I, he gave me a look as black as the mess he made of my suit. It was a stinking hot day and he must have been p****ed of,who wouldnt be ? a quick retreat to the other end of the carriage was the my best , I took it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Hate to correct you mate , But you never got off the overhead railway at Seaforth Sands to enter the Gladstone dock ....... You enlighten the overhead at the station known as the Gladstone? to enter seaforth or Gladstone dock, When the train continued to Seaforth Sands you would have to have walked back about a kilometer to enter the Gladstone, The reason the overhead ran as far as Seaforth Sands was because you then entered the goods line that ran through Lpool docks right through to Aintree sidings and goods yard that also fed shipping. There is an old song called {Thank you very much} Which was sang by Paul McCartney,s brother with his time with the scaffold which he says he will carry the lyrics Aintree iron to his death. The overhead railway was built in a pig iron shed at Aintree sidings that produced the iron for the docker,s umbrella that i and John believe was the Aintree iron. Regards all Farmer. p.s. note from this diagram there was the Glastone dock were you en lighted for the gladstone dock and further on Seaforth Sands which continued to Aintree G,Day farmer. Oh i lived in Lpool for 2 years sailing with Blue Star i know i am correct.

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/uk/liv/liverpool_lor.htm
Well Farmer, I have to say my memory of the Overhead Railway differs from yours in this respect. We can put this down to the fact that it was fifty odd years ago, and details fade over time.
Seaforth Sands station was situated west of the junction of Rimrose Rd, Seaforth Rd, Crosby Rd South, and Knowsley Rd. When you came down the stairs and emerged into the daylight, the Caradoc and the Winifred were looking at you. Behind you was, I think, Shore Rd and the head of Gladstone Drydock, and the main gate to the docks. Gladstone Dock Station was within the dock estate and was situated between Hornby Dock and Gladstone No 2 Branch.
I travelled on the OH virtually every week for several years as a boy visiting cousins living in Seaforth, and we usually got off at Seaforth Sands and walked East up Seaforth Rd, but occasionally we went to the Seaforth and Litherland station and walked back from there.
By the time I went to sea, the OH had been closed down and most of it was gone, so when joining a ship in the Gladstone, I only ever got the number one bus to Seaforth, getting off close to where Seaforth Sands station had been and walking down Shore Rd to the gate. There is a very good photo of Seaforth Sands station with Gladstone Dock in the background at this link;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5488291912/
Best Regards,
Pat

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 2nd July 2012 at 21:50..
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:09
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1970

aintree iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
I have just Googled Aintree Iron and there are loads of equally plausible explanations of the words.As always there is a nugget of truth in most of the reasoning,apart from the religious fanatic,and some of them are quite reasoned.The Aintree Iron and Steelworks public toilets,the shape of Aintree racecourse,the block of buildings that include the Flat Iron pub,the LFC team that included Tommy Smith(and he was just hard you should have seen him play)and the old railway tracks to Southport.However overriding all this is Mike McGears admission that he`s not going to say what it is.......maybe he made it up.I lived in the Liverpool area for 15 years both north and south and I never heard the expression used.The OHR was the dockers umbrella and I never heard the Aintree Iron and Steelworks mentioned in any of the many times it was discussed and boy was it regularly mentioned,mourned and discussed
was the Aintree Iron The British Legion or the railway sidings next to the race course?
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:22
Active: 1967 - 1970

parrot

Quote:
Is this bus going to Speke?
I f***in`hope not.
how do you get a parrot to speak?
put it on the 81
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:19

ALAN your correct many theory,s

Quote:
And this is mine The Aintree Iron the OHR as for the dockers umbrella? G,Day farmer. http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=1...H5Cp8QPG-Oz7DA

Last edited by Farmer; 2nd July 2012 at 23:21.. Reason: pic
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:24

Wink Great pic Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd View Post
As the subject of the 'Dockers Umbrella' came up I wondered if anyone would be interested in the attached photo. Notice the 'smog' and the colour of the building.

Jim
Thanks that was where the Lpool dockers would stand to get out of the rain that was the original Docker,s Umbrella. Farmer.
Old 6th July 2012, 16:42

15yrs North @ South Alan

Quote:
You never heard the expression Docker,s Umbrella ?????? we all learn something new everyday cobber Farmer.
Old 26th March 2016, 23:14

the boathouse

anyone remember this.I was in this pub when I sailed with headline in the seventies.England v Germany.Germany won the game.Being with a bunch of Jocks we were teasing the barman.Got thrown out.
When we returned the next day the gaffer gave us all tickets for the Everton v Liverpool game at goodison.He was an Evertonian and the tickets were for the Gladys road end.Great game,but just my luck it was 0-0.some great times in this wonderful Port.Some great pubs on the dock road
Old 27th March 2016, 09:37

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebe View Post
Lots of memories at the attached site
http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing it but when I click on the link, I just get taken to a Swedish IT domain ad?
Old 28th March 2016, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by R870879 View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing it but when I click on the link, I just get taken to a Swedish IT domain ad?
Although I did not know it was a Swedish site I get the same thing.
Old 28th March 2016, 15:00

remember a pub in garstun cant remember name landlady a family friend jossie larkin called there a few time when docked in the dingle anyone remember her regards graham
Old 30th September 2016, 04:38
Madbob
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
What was the name of the pub in I think, Royal Square ? Even if there was such a place. Remember being off my face and wandering into this pub frequented by the boys off the liners at Liverpool Stage. Ooops !
Old 30th September 2016, 07:20
Active: 1954 - 1981

the DUKE Birkinhead
Old 1st October 2016, 00:07
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1974

no mention of the Caradock and the Winifred
Old 1st October 2016, 00:59
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I do remember the Dominion on the Dock Road. Not a pub easily forgotten, bit like that pub in the first Star Wars movie with light sabres and blasters and severed limbs flying about.

Old 1st October 2016, 12:45

Some great pubs along the docks have been mentioned but very few along the south end maybe you will remember some if so let us know. I recall the Severn Steps ,the Baltic Fleet and a pub that sold draught Guinness I think it was the only one that did ,I am talking about the 1950s it was opposite where the Guinness boats tied up I think there was a pub the Flat Iron,by the way the Seven Steps is still there its offices now there were some good pubs around Canning Place I think that one was called the George we lived in for a while until we were evacuated to Ruthin my fathers home ,I think it was during the May blitz another pub used to be opposite the pool at Mann island anyone recall that one . All gone now but memories we have will stay with us of good or even bad boozers happy days.
Old 1st October 2016, 12:50

the red lion was in a back street facing mann island then it was all knocked down and kingston house was built later to become coopers
Old 1st October 2016, 13:51

The Red Lion was still there after Kingsto House was built, the Trawler Inn was along from it going towards Canning Place, one on the corner of Canning Place can't recall the name of it. In Canning Place was the Flying Dutchman, the Custom House, and another one can't recall its name, just off Canning Pl in Sth Castle St was The Belvidere, around the corner on the dock Rd going south was the Dukes Crown, that plus the Belvidere were known for having great draught Guinness. The Dukes crown accepted the Guinness tokens which were issued to the crews on the Guinness vessels for their free pints not sure how many per day they got. After the Dukes Crown was the Baltic Fleet still there as the last of the aforementioned pubs. I can't recall the names of the other pubs going south on the dock Rd apart from the Seven Steps there were others, it might come to me later I can see them mentally but not the names.
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:06
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
The Baltic Fleet had possibly the finest pint of Guinness in The Pool. Right up to the mid 80's, it still had sawdust on the floor! Now, I believe, it is a little more "upmarket".
Rgds.
Dave