Gatx Oswego Uk - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
10:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gatx Oswego Uk

User Tag List

Old 14th May 2015, 23:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dwyer View Post
Happy Christmas to all ex Gatx Oswego people - good days on the Gatx cruises!
Nice to know that you are still going strong Tom.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Richardson View Post
Hi Tom
From your previous messages I feel I should have met you,I joined the Carnegie Dec 75 with Bob Brooke's (3m) and the R O Tony who's surname I forget.From preview replays you mentioned Bob Brooke's so my train of thought is that you either relieved Tony or Tony relieved yourself.That trip in particular was mainly spent at anchor off Dubai for almost three months and then off to Brest or Le Havre if my memory serves me well,Which is where I paid off with Johnny Lockhart(3e) Willy Laird(c/e) Mike Guy and myself,there may have been others but I don't recall.Anyway if none of that triggers any memories of anyone have a merry Christmas anyhow.Best of luck now and for the future
HARRY
Hope all is well with you Harry

Regards

Mike Dooley
Old 18th May 2015, 11:56

Sorry to hear that bob has passed away.
I sailed whith him a few times and found
Him to be a great guy and a good friend
Sadly missed
Bob cutsforth pumpman
Old 18th May 2015, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB CUTSFORTH View Post
Sorry to hear that bob has passed away.
I sailed whith him a few times and found
Him to be a great guy and a good friend
Sadly missed
Bob cutsforth pumpman
Hi Bob,
Agree with you 100 per cent.

I lost track of people after 1979 - but others who have also crossed the bar you would have known - Carl Diedrich about 3 years ago, and two of my office colleagues - Gordon Linton and Richard Thompson -Superintendent Engineer.

Happy Days Bob

Best regards

Mike Dooley
Old 18th May 2015, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Galbraith View Post
Goodness! This is a blast from the past. I was deck officer for a couple of trips on the Castleton, a relief on the Cadogan (Teeside/Flotta and Norway) and an epic four month trip on the Carnegie from the Bahamas to Brunei Bay where all we carried was ballast water. Happy days!

Sandy
Hi Sandy - Another blast from the past !!!!

Best regards

Mike Dooley
Old 21st July 2015, 17:20

Quote:
Hi Bob - Just came across this site, very interesting, think I sailed with you on Carnegie I was the R/O
Regards
Tom Dwyer
Hi Tom, dont know if you remember me but we sailed together on the Bulford I think which was renamed Casterbridge in the early seventies. I was 3rd Mate
Old 21st July 2015, 17:25

Hi all. Sailed with Gatx in the early seventies. Bulford, Bideford, Camden, Bamford, (Blandford then). Was 3rd mate. I remember a few names off here. Be good to hear from anyone.
Old 24th July 2015, 12:26

Hi, dont know if we sailed together but I was in dry dock at Blohm & Voss in 1974 I think. Was my first time as 3rd Mate.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB CUTSFORTH View Post
Yesi think it was faber big tallguy great man to sail with i still have ringing in my ears
A good ce
John Faber was his name. An ex Shell cadet. I recall John roaring and complaining about the actions of the Nigerian customs department after they found a "fault" with our bond while at Bonny. He was in full flight with some definitely non PC language when he remembered the junior second, a Kenyan, Nelson Kibuay was in the officers bar.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
I am sorry to have to inform you that Bob Preston crossed the bar in 2011. He had been suffering from mesothelioma.
He is survived by his wife Shirley.
Very sad news indeed. I did two trips with Bob on the Castleton and the Camden. He was an easygoing chap who was always nothing less than pleasant.
Old 31st March 2016, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Moss View Post
Hi Tom, dont know if you remember me but we sailed together on the Bulford I think which was renamed Casterbridge in the early seventies. I was 3rd Mate
Hi Steve yes I do - I replied earlier but I think the message never went
Was Graham Wood the 2/0 and Pete Davidson the OM? Maybe Gerry Pengelly was thevC/0
Hope you are well What are you doing now?
Regd's
Tom
Old 31st March 2016, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Richardson View Post
Hi Tom
From your previous messages I feel I should have met you,I joined the Carnegie Dec 75 with Bob Brooke's (3m) and the R O Tony who's surname I forget.From preview replays you mentioned Bob Brooke's so my train of thought is that you either relieved Tony or Tony relieved yourself.That trip in particular was mainly spent at anchor off Dubai for almost three months and then off to Brest or Le Havre if my memory serves me well,Which is where I paid off with Johnny Lockhart(3e) Willy Laird(c/e) Mike Guy and myself,there may have been others but I don't recall.Anyway if none of that triggers any memories of anyone have a merry Christmas anyhow.Best of luck now and for the future
HARRY
Hi Harry I have not been on the site for a while but yes I do remember you and Johnny Lockhart you must remember Jimmy Bone the Lecky Willie Morgan 3/E I remember Willy Laird think Tom Makepeace may have replaced him, Lenny Douse and Len Springett other names I recall
Happy Days
Hope you are well
I will do regular check backs

Regards

Tom.
Old 25th August 2016, 19:28
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - 1981

Hi Tom,

Long time no speak. I remember the good old days very well. How are you and Noreen? It's David Niven here and hope to hear from you soon.

David
Old 9th October 2016, 10:21

Hi David
Good to hear from you yes all fine Noreen sends on her regards

How is Lyn?

What you up to these days ?

They were mad days on the Gatx Cruises I still remember the Scrabble I don't know if the words we used are still part of the English (or Scottish) language!

We have two children - youngest 32! Time flies

Keep in touch

Regards Tom & Noreen
Old 21st October 2016, 19:04
Active: 1976 - 1981

Hi Tom

Great to hear from you both.
Would be good to catch up. Give me a text or a bell sometime 07572466901

Davie
Old 19th November 2016, 04:45
Active: 1964 - 2012

Sailed as bosun on the Camdem, Joined in Pembroke & paid off while at anchor off Dunkirk. Did some repairs to the padded cell which was occupied during the previous trip by someone who attempted to start a fire. A good ship with a mix of Geordies, Somalis' and Taffs'. Date was mid 70's
Old 30th July 2017, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspud View Post
Sailed on Camden as 3/0 Feb-Aug 77 travelling very slowly from Bonaire to Turkey via Iraq. Then spent Silver Jubilee alongside the detached mole in Gibraltar after our "mechanical problems".
Followed up with the Carnegie between South Riding Point and Nigeria
Best wishes to all fellow travellers
Hi
I was on the TT Camden as the catering boy on my first trip to sea. I was in Gibraltar for 10 days for the Queen's silver jubilee also.

Joined the ship in the Gulf after being in a hotel at Ras al Khaimah for 3 days.
Old 4th October 2017, 14:48

Memories are made of this

I was on the Bamford and then flew out to the Boxford's maiden voyage
Catering boy and Assistant Steward until the fleet was sold out from under us by Blandford's

I still cannot trace the Bamford's IMO number, she is an elusive lady on the web
Bamford-Cadogon-Aly B
The Boxford is much easier, Boxford-Carneige-Philip of Macedon IMO 7019103

I did my steering ticket under Terrence Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Hi all.

I sailed with Gatx Oswego Too.

I joined them when they were still Blandford Shipping Company.
I Joined the Bedford as Chief Cook. Then I went to the Bamford.
Left the Bamford to join the Bulford as Chief Steward. Then went to the Boxford also as Chief Steward. During my time on the Boxford the company was taken over by Gatx Oswego and the Boxford became the Castleton.

Then I went to the Casterbridge which had a boiler collapse so we ended up in Blohm & Voss drydock in Hamburg for three months at which time I was transfered to the Castleton again. That was my last trip with the company as I joined Reardon Smith Line as Chief Steward/Catering Officer.

I had some good times on the tankers.

A few names spin to mind.

Captain Goodison Terry Took Chief Mate then Captain. Chief Steward Graham "Half a Kipper" Lloyd and Eric Reahead, 2nd. Officer to name but a few.

Last edited by Nigel Moore; 4th October 2017 at 14:51.. Reason: spell checker struggling with ships names
Old 4th October 2017, 15:34

On a secondary note to the above

The Boxford IMO 7019103 was launched in 1970
The Castleton IMO 7328671 was launched in 1973
This could be after Blandford's sold the company (maybe)

I have a feeling that the Castleton was an improved version of the Boxford
Old 9th October 2017, 19:21

Corrections

I was on the Bamford and flew out to it on its maiden voyage from Japan
I flew out to the Boxford at Kharg Island
Catering boy and Assistant Steward until the fleet was sold out from under us by Blandford's

I still cannot trace the Bamford's IMO number, she is an elusive lady on the web yet it turns up on this site (thanks lads)
Bamford-Cadogon-Aly B
The Boxford is much easier, Boxford-Carneige-Philip of Macedon IMO 7019103

I did my steering ticket under Terrence Took

Last edited by Nigel Moore; 9th October 2017 at 19:24.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th August 2018, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Moore View Post

Bamford's IMO 6724983
Bamford-Cadogon-Aly B
That's better, it can be amazingly difficult to find some ships
Others can be everywhere on the net
How would we ever manage without it?

Last edited by Nigel Moore; 10th August 2018 at 17:02.. Reason: Wrong number
Old 25th June 2019, 23:42
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1974 - 1977

Such a long time ago !

Hi Tom Remember you very well on the Casterbridge My First trip to sea I was the catering boy that looked after your cabin.

Peter Davison Captain Gerry Pengelly Chief Mate. Jack Ravey Chf Engineer. Frank Lyke 2nd Engineer. Graeme Whitehead 3rd Mate
Mick Cook Bosun Have got a Photo of one of our Parties where were all dressed up as different people will upload when i dig it out Regards JoihnBancroft

Quote:
Hi Spike, Yes remember sailing with you on the Gatx crusies! Not been on this site for a while. George Higgins was the other steward and John Hale the C/Off. How are you keeping?
Old 9th July 2019, 00:48

Hi guys
I was on Cadogan in Nov 72 till may 73 as A/Stwd and cadwalader July 73 till Nov 73
I remember Bob Preston great guy he use to develop my photos i also remember an incident where the night watch expecting the pilot dropped the pilot ladder over the side,knocking taff over the side his mate raised the alarm a line was thrown it landed across taffs body alas no movement a lifeboat was dropped we searched in a pitch Black Sea almost getting run down by an Iranian patrol boat.patrol boat found taffs body but couldn’t hold him they were too high out of the water he sank underneath the boat i never did hear anything about that incident
Old 9th July 2019, 14:34

This may not be particularly relevent but in about 1970 I sailed on the OSWEGO FREEDOM /LIBERTY/DEFENDER to supervise tank cleaning prior to major dry docking in Spain and Japan I was the only european on board as all crew were Taiwan Chinese They were theoreticaly owned by Bethlehem Steel USA with Liberian Flag Very well managed ships with on board catering run by a crew committee
Old 10th July 2019, 12:58
Active: 1964 - 1970

In 1967 i was offered the Bedford, a very large tanker just built for Blandford shipping and waiting for a crew in Sasebo, Japan.
Signed on as A/steward in Sasebo on 25/4/67 and from memory straight up the gulf and then back around the cape to Rotterdam.
I believe it was going to be a very fast discharge and then rumour was that we’d be doing it again for the foreseeable future
I packed my cases and walked off and caught ferry home, and never regretted it.
She was a beautiful ship,-very big and at the time i was told one of the worlds biggest.
Cabins were good; can’t remember the food. Know she had good cabins, a swimming pool and a padded cell.
It just wasn’t for me, running back and forward up the gulf to Europe.
From then on i stuck to cargo ships and a few liners and also changed from catering to engine room.
Just who were Gatx-Oswego and where did they come from? and why did Blanford’s sell their ships?