THPV Preceder and THPV Patrol - plans? - Ships Nostalgia
06:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

THPV Preceder and THPV Patrol - plans?

User Tag List

Old 4th July 2019, 11:26

THPV Preceder and THPV Patrol - plans?

I have had my eyes on building a model of either the THPV Preceder or the THPV Patrol, both pilot vessels operated by Trinity house.

They were built by Brook Marine in Lowestoft in 1961. The Preceder at least still seems to be in service, though based overseas and much altered.

As usual finding plans is a problem. Brook Marine went into administration some time ago and it looks like the plan set was lost. The museum in Lowestoft has nothing and Trinity House have not responded.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a GA or plans?

Equally the suggestion was made that a GA may have appeared in a shipping magazine when they were built but I have no access to any back issues or indexes.

Can anyone help?

David Hathaway
Old 5th July 2019, 16:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

Hello David;

I should have read your post properly.

I have just written -and deleted- a longish post about the two pilot launches with the same name dating from the mid-70s or so, on which I served in 1986-88.

Then I realised that you were talking about the tender cutters, and relief cruising cutters, serving the Sunk pilot station.

I remember them well from their time at Harwich, and a relative served on, at least, PRECEDER, and I had an official trip on this cutter as part of my school careers week.

One of the pair, IIRC, PATROL, was converted to survey work in the North Sea, but sank whilst working there.

It might be worth posting your question in the 'Offshore Oil and gas Industry' section of the Forum, as there seems to be several members active who may remember them in Survey service.

However, I'm sorry but I have not any further information of plans available.

Martyn
Old 5th July 2019, 20:18

I understand that all Brooke Marine Plans went to the National Maritime Museum.
Best of luck, Iain