Nemedri - Ships Nostalgia
00:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nemedri

User Tag List

Old 31st May 2019, 15:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1997

Nemedri

Abbreviation for Northern European and Mediterranean Routing Instructions. This book, published by the British Admiralty, lists all areas that still contain sea mines, as well as recommended routes.
I seem to remember as 2nd Mate in the sixties that I was always correcting the NEMEDRI booklet, sailing with Fyffes at the time we were chartered to Salem's and spent most of our time sailing to Germany and the Baltic....seems to be a long while ago and I have never heard of it since.
Old 1st June 2019, 14:21
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
I remember NEMEDRI very well! Even tho' well into my 70's I still ride the occasional vessel for short voyages doing Navigational Assessments for the operators. I haven't seen any mention of NEMEDRI on any of these vessels over the past 15 years. Most of the recent assessments have been on vessels which have a full digital library of BA publications AVCS and it does'nt appear in that either.
Cheers, Chris
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:34
Active: 1955 - 1997

Thanks for that Chris.....I was very interested to hear what you had to say about vessels having full digital libraries now of latest publications. Into my 80s now,but memories of my seagoing days are still vivid in my memory.What I had for supper last night is the problem
Regards Lloyd
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:10

Also not forgetting Chinpacs. didn't realise how many danger areas around Indonesia until I had to update them in the long and distant past.
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:41
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foca View Post
Thanks for that Chris.....I was very interested to hear what you had to say about vessels having full digital libraries now of latest publications. Into my 80s now,but memories of my seagoing days are still vivid in my memory.What I had for supper last night is the problem
Regards Lloyd
These digital libraries are automatically corrected each week and include Notice to Mariners for any paper charts that are carried. All other charts are digital ENC vector charts used on the dual ECDIS as the primary navigation system. Most T&P Notices and NAVTEX warning are also received digitally and upload automatically onto the ECDIS equipment.
Without a paper chart on the chart table I find it quite difficult to maintain my situational awareness of where we are in relation to nearest coast and the route being taken.
It's very different to our seagoing days?
Cheers, Chris