Saguanay Line - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saguanay Line

User Tag List

Old 14th February 2013, 18:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1974

I shall delve into my archives. I am sure I have a box of colour transparencies from the late sixties that may trigger some memories. They'd need to be digitised for sharing/transmission.
Old 14th February 2013, 22:46

Fantastic, try to contact me via the messaging and we can go from there. If there is anyone with any info, any connection or anything about British Guiana (Guyana) please feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Ian
Old 25th July 2014, 22:37

sunwalker

I worked on the Sunwalker during the summer of 1969 as a officer cadet. The skipper was Pakri. As a nineteen year old and coming from Montreal,it was quite an experience .

Patrick
Old 26th July 2014, 02:32

My location
Been watching reruns on tv here of television show Seaway made in the sixties. and Saguanay ships featured quite a bit.Any one on board when filming done.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:04

Sunwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaussler View Post
I worked on the Sunwalker during the summer of 1969 as a officer cadet. The skipper was Pakri. As a nineteen year old and coming from Montreal,it was quite an experience .

Patrick
I must have been on leave or else on the Sunbrayton that summer.

I had 3 or 4 months sailing with Pakri. An interesting time - he didn't trust any of his deck officers: had to be called for every alteration of course no matter what time of day or night, and when we were loading at Mackenzie he wanted to be called every time we about to shift holds to check our calculations.

The Mate (a Brit living in Portugal - forget his name) eventually invited Pakri to do the loading watches if he didn't trust his team! He backed off a bit after that.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:24

Remember when sailing on Cunard cargo ships on the Montreal run in the sixties made a one off call up the Sagenuay River to port Alfred with cargo. Very picturesque river run from the St Lawrence to docking,wild counntry. Cant remember much in Port Alfred though just couldnt wait to get to Joe Beefs in montreal.
Sttuart
Old 15th June 2015, 22:04

I joined the "MV SUNGATE" at Avonmouth in 1959, 16 months carrying various cargoes from the great lakes down the St Lawrence seaway heading for Bermuda and tha carribean islands through Panama and up the west coast of USA to Vancouver and on to Kitimat what a place that was and it was December so you can imaging how cold it was, from there back to VC load up for Niagata and Yocohama in japan then back to VC and back down to Panama. British Guiana and Venezuela to load Bauxite for our voyage home to Edinburgh, 16 great months many fantastic ports.
Old 15th June 2015, 22:13

While on the "Sungate" we went through the new seaway brilliant experience when entering the locks one of crew had to swing out on a boom to get us tied up. Great ports Toronto, Cleveland, Ohio, Chicago and Detroit and back down to Montreal,quebec and Seven Islands lovely run
Old 14th January 2016, 10:25
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1963 - 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATISS View Post
Fantastic, try to contact me via the messaging and we can go from there. If there is anyone with any info, any connection or anything about British Guiana (Guyana) please feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Ian
I am from Guyana now residing in Ontario, Canada worked on Sunwalker & Sunbrayton, also sailed with Harrison Line of Liverpool, and in Canada with Gulf Canada Ltd ships, feel free to contact me
thanks
Pat Thomas
Old 15th January 2016, 04:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1961

SaguenayTerminals

I joined Saguenay Terminals s.s."Sunrip" in Antwerp in September 1955 and sailed for Port Esquival,Jamaica and Kitimat,B.C. with a crew of Canadian Officers and Jamaican Crew.Spent two years on that run with an occasional grain run from the U.S.West Coast to Europe.After the two years I then joined the s.s."Sunwhit"also in Antwerp and remained on her for an additional two years mostly on the same run,Jamaica/BC. In March 1959 were were instructed to rendezvous with two other Saguenay ships,the Sunmont and the Sunvalley,I believe,in Hoellen,Norway were all three of us were laid up.I have a colored picture of the three ships all tied up together as a departed by small boat for the pier.Officers and crew proceeded to Oslo where the crew were flown to Kingston,Jamaica and the Officers to Montreal.Shipping was tough during those depressed years and since Saguenay Terminals had a major commitment to their many long-term charters the only logical thing to do was to dump their own older vessels crew and all,I guess.Saguenay gave all Officers three months severance pay - but it still hurt leaving those ships. Sayonara Saguenay!!. Liam Moran
Old 15th January 2016, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner44 View Post
I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.
I sailed on t he Sunwalker in 65/66 and my brother sailed as chief steward not sure what year but Jerry Cranningburg was chief officer whe my brother was chief steward his name Neville Thomas I also sailed on Sunbrayton as 2nd steward in 68/69 captain name was Brown at that time
Old 15th January 2016, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaussler View Post

Patrick
I checked my discharge book to see when I was on Sunwalker, I was there in 65/66 and on Sunbrayton from December 68 to Jan. 69 and left to join the Harrison Line pool sailing from Barbados to England etc.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:07

Quote:
I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.
Quote- Patrick Thomas I made one trip on SUNBRYATON December 1968 to Jan 1969 with Cpt. Brown I had to leave to join Harrison Line (i was 2nd Steward
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:14

Ahhhhhhh.....Captain Brown: a memory to treasure, Patrick.

You will have been aboard the Sunbrayton when he had his fall from grace in the bars of Chaguaramas at Christmas 1968, and the wheels fell off his wagon. Maybe you had signed off when Capt Brown signed on an extra 3rd Officer, Jack Lynch, at $485 US per month? She was the local 'girlfriend' that he couldn't bear to leave behind - Jacqueline Lynch. There was an on-board search by the local superintendent at Chaguaramas to discover who this additional officer was! The Payroll Dept were perplexed about this unknown/unauthorised signing-on. Capt Brown was fired shortly afterwards - surprise, surprise - and was last heard of sailing as 2nd mate aboard an ALCOA ship.

Happy days!
Old 30th April 2017, 22:50
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1951 - 1980

My father worked on the SUNBRAYTON between 1955 to 1960 as a clerk. Is there anyone who worked on the same ship who would remember the ship going to Liverpool in the UK? Also is it possible to find a list of employees working on the ship at that time?
Old 4th May 2017, 21:53

pictures of Sunleaf and Sunheim

found these old pics dated summer of 1969
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunheim.jpg (139.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg sunleaf1.jpg (85.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg sunleaf2.jpg (141.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 10th May 2019, 22:47

Hi All. I just transferred a home movie, coloured but silent, from film reel to DVD and saw my family joining the Sunrhea in probably 1971 but maybe 1970 so I had to look up the Sunrhea and join the forum.

My father is Alfred Mair who was 2nd Engineer at the time. Captain McOnie, the chief engineer and the chief steward also had their families on board at the time. We joined at the Kiel Canal and went to Sundsvall, Sweden and got off in Holland. Happy memories. If anyone remembers my father I will let him know.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:53

Sailor Passing

I am Harvey Bennett's daughter and I am sorry to let you all know that Dad passed away on the 23rd March after a very brave battle with cancer. I know that he used to love talking with you all about his years at sea in the Merchant Navy. Dad was a true legend and a great father and friend to all. We shall be returning him to the sea soon. Please raise a tot of rum to him.
Old 29th August 2019, 21:21
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1966

As 3/0 and 2/0 on the "Sunflower" during the mid 60's I remember Artur Pakri very well. He was always looking over your shoulder and had a ubiquitous presence on the bridge during all but periods of deep sea cruising. However, I seemed to get on with him very well. This was quite unlike the experience of my buddy Rick Bartley who was 3/0 on the "Sunbrayton" during the same period. He says that Pakri made his life hell, and it was probably for this reason Rick left the sea and took up Air Traffic Control in Vancouver, and later Gatwick (Nav. Radar, Met etc. all very similar). Some years later I left Saguenay and went to Australia, also taking up ATC in Sydney. Now both retired in the UK, we still see each other frequently. Anyone have memories of Capt. Crellin, C/O Cocking, 2/E Reinhardt or other Sunflower' names 63-66?
Old 30th August 2019, 02:14

Quote:
Demond Alleyne is the only crew member's name I recollect - he was pumpman on the Sunwalker while I was there 1968-70.
I sailed with Desmond Allen on Sunwalker in 1965 my name is Patrick Thomas I think my brother sailed with Desmond his name was Neville Thomas chief Steward