Ships Nostalgia banner

Iberic

16K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  Eddie Miller 
#1 · (Edited)
A rare view of the Shaw Savill "I" class Iberic at Felixstowe on P&O charter with equipment for the new container berths. Built 1961 11,248gt. Became the Deseado for Royal Mail

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Flag Etiquette

Interesting to see the house flag on the Starboard Yard of the foremast. Maybe tjis was because they had to fly the P&O Cahreters flag too?
Sailed on this ship during my cadetship - in the days when on the Aussie & Kiwi Coast there was quite a "din" at 0800 with 8 bells rung on the forecastle whilst Ensign was raised and courtesy flag, stem flag and houseflag were all broken out simultaneously.
In those dim and distant days there used to be enough cadets to perform this function on all SSA ships plus of course NZS, Federal, Port Line, Blue Star plus the odd Blue Flue!
However the House Flag was always flown from the Main Mast on Iberic. I thought only Brockebanks ships were allowed to fly the House Flag from the Foremast??

#6 ·
Shaw savill Iberic

I am sure someone will tell me different.
But I am sure I did the maiden voyage on this ship.
Run Job 22/23 March 1962 Victoria Docks to Avonmouth.
28th March 62 to 11th July 62 Captain Smith
Do remember it was not one of my best trips.
I was at that time Jim Pigg assistant Steward.

#7 ·
Waiwera, note your comment about House flags etc, yes it was a great sound at 0800 when all the "home boats" in port rang 8 bells and broke out the flags, in my day, the 4/0 watched the chronometer, then blew his whistle precisely at 0800 for the cadets to breakout the house flags and hoist the ensign, often we would notice some ship was late and her bell would still be ringing when others had finished - presumably a timing problem!
With regard to the above photo of IBERIC and the H/Flag on starboard yard arm, it correctly should be flown from mainmast, but with the "I" class ships the H/Flag would always get caught up in the poor halyard arrangement at the mainmast truck and end up getting ripped, so eventually the H/flag was flown on the foremast yardarm, portyard when abroad with courtesy ensign on starboard yard. This photo shows ship in UK and "Owners flag" with precedence over "Charteres" flag.
Incidently I stood by IBERIC as C/O before she was renamed DESEADO and put on the RML service, I think in 1976.

Brgds John B.

#14 ·
I sailed on the Iberic for 6 months in 1969, UK Kiwi then Mexico, east coast US and Montreal then back to the UK.
Capt. Gunning was master, 3 leckies 3 reefer engineers, numerous junior engineers and a 4th mate, 2 bars, largest crew I ever sailed I think it was about 60 all told.
In BA many years later, I went onboard her, she was then the Deseado of Royal Mail, even in 1969, containers were seen as a death knell for these fine cargo ships.

#16 ·
Hullo Wilkie; I also had experience of the Iberic, standing by during May 1970 as 1st.Leckie, with a coastal from London to Liverpool between 22May and 29May. The main reason for my response though is that I sailed with you on the Mightiest A Boat of them all"Aramaic. Many memories but one that sticks out is a particularly boozy Christmas in Mt. Maunganuii. You played a mean guitar and we thought we could sing.Have already made contact with Mike Earp (NZ) and Graham Barret(Aus.) from those heady times.Would like to know what transpired with the rest of the mob(Alfie Croston/Neville Thomas et al.
All of the best Wilkie.
Barry(Mac) Macauley.

#18 ·
Aramaic

Hi Bert and Carol.
Good to hear from you again. The 'Christmas in Kiwi' was quite an unforgettable trip.
Really good crowd of lads. Going to sea is not and will never again be such a great way of life. Wonder how many people understand BJ Mac's 'Blue Max' title ?? We are a very fortunate age group. '!!!

#22 ·
Hooray Wilkie,Bert and Carol: Great to hear from you guys again. I've been here in the Rainbow nation since the end of '79, prior to that I was on the Zambian Copperbelt for six years. I retired in 2007, and in 2008 moved from Johannesburg to Bathurst in the Eastern Cape. As you can see Wilkie, you were not too far away: Mossel Bay being something like 400kms. from here. I was called out to the Mossgas Platform(as it was called then) a few times while I was working, which made a nice change from the Mines(like being back at sea).
Carol, do you still put your hands on top of your head when reaching your alcohol limit and Bert do you still have your Rosie?. Please gents no more talk of Blue Maxes, I'm a much nicer person now.
Keep the faith and keep in touch,(I think we should kickstart the Aramaic thread, who knows how many 'A' Boat men are lurking out there.

#23 ·
Hi again Mac & Ian.
Carol no longer indicates her limit by putting hands on head. Knows when to stop these days. I don't need a Rosie any more, as we have an ensuite. Mind, if I remember correctly, we had one on Aramaic as well. Was in touch with Tony Clarke a few years ago but lost his email in a computor crash. Also worked with Ray Griffiths "1st Mate" after leaving the sea but have long lost touch.
Tony, Ray & our Skipper Brian Agnew along with other ex Aramaic crew ended up on the Gothic's fatefull run the trip after we all sailed together. Tony & Ray (among others understandably) quit sea life after that.
Do not know where you two went but, by the Grace of God & lack of a steam ticket, there went I.
Agree we need an A Boat thred.
Regards,

Bert & Carol