Ships Nostalgia banner

Indo China Steam Navigation

130K views 445 replies 56 participants last post by  BTZ 
#1 ·
Is their anyone out there ex Eastern Ships

#95 ·
Hi Peter B,
Sounds like you having a good time, as Pete Piriou says I'm sure there is hardly anything left of the HK we knew.
Just had a thought, I hope your cruise doesn't include Manila then Keelung within the magic 5 days ! You might fall foul of the Keelung Lancers with their devilish glass rods ! Ah the memories bring tears to the eyes !

Best regards

Mike

#96 ·
Jeff Denny went into stevedoring in Sydney and the container terminal at Botany Bay. Must be retired now. Frank Pickering used to see Jeff occasionally at Master Mariners meetings in Sydney. Interestingly, I still hear by email from Geoff Parish (well in his 90s now) and from Richard Hudson, because I was in touch with them about my research. Also Parish and I used to do work for a sail training ship in Melbourne. After the sell off in 1985 there was a ship management operation for technical and manning for a number of years, which gave the senior guys continued employment. Some of the previously owned ships continued with them for that. Little detail from the Company about any of that, too recent and subject to commercial privacy I am sure that Derek Smith would have plenty of info because he was still around. Peter Ballantyne

#98 ·
I joined ICSN in 1964. Was a breath of fresh air after oil tankers! First ship was the Ho Sang as 3/O on the HK - Tawau run. David Greenhalgh was C/O. Then the Eastern Muse as 2/O. Tommy Marr was Master but can't remember anyone else other than Nigel Porteous, who served briefly as 3/O before moving on. Whatever happened to him? Also Nick Funston? Both were friends at Warsash when we were up for Mates. Unfortunately I had to leave in 1965 due to family bereavement.

#101 ·
G'day Brian,
I just checked my Discharge Book and find Captain Nick Funston signed it three times, and I may have sailed with him more than that. S.T. Borg, a VLCC run job by ICSN crew from Norway to Kaohsiung for scrap, August 1985, then Gearbulker Osprey Arrow, signed off Yokohama November 1987, and last one Falcon Arrow, again at Yokohama, March 1990.
Brgds, Richard.

#103 ·
Some info here about the people you mention = Nigel Porteous went into maritime admin and survey in Melbourne and was always very involved in voluteer work with the Seamans Mission. David Greenhalgh became a Brisbane pilot after North Queensland ports. Tommy Marr retired to Brisbane and later did a lot of work as master of Queensland coastal small ships. I think that Nick Funston retired to Belize, ex British Honduras, as did some others including Graham Taylor, also Derek Smith to the same area - Caribbean Mexico. Hope all that is of interest to you.

#107 ·
'Twas not me Garry ! I don't recall paying off sick whilst in UBC, let alone in such an exotic place as Bangkok. Plenty of trips up the road in var oriental ports to get certain ailments seen to ('nuff said !) With my luck if I had left the ship on medical grounds, it would have been in somewhere like Chalna !(EEK)

Regards

Mike

#110 ·
Hello Bryan,
That sounds like me ! I bought a couple at different times, one .177 from the Friendship Store in Shanghai and another .22 BSA from Singapore both eventually left behind when transferred. Got them mainly as a boredom reliever but the more powerful one was taken to the bridge when we anchored in the Hooghly overnight, to discourage would be pirates !
The name Nigel Porteous certainly rings a bell but, as with just about everyone from those days, I cannot put a face to him. I envy everyone from that far back who seem to remember so much !
Thank you for the kind thought of passing the photo on to me, at the very least it will give my wife something to laugh at ! I will send a PM to you with my address

Regards

Mike

#112 ·
ICSN and JSM

Interesting to see some familiar names. I was with ICSN and then Jardine Ship Management from '79 to 95.
Richard Wakeley how are things. Long time since the Golfo De Chiriquí and Buenaventura! I sailed with Derek M-Smith, Nick Funston, many times with Ray Bennett and many others. Good nostalgia.

#125 ·
Interesting to see some familiar names. I was with ICSN and then Jardine Ship Management from '79 to 95.
Richard Wakeley how are things. Long time since the Golfo De Chiriquí and Buenaventura! I sailed with Derek M-Smith, Nick Funston, many times with Ray Bennett and many others. Good nostalgia.
Dave ?? were you on the ocean thistle as cadet Eng ?? Maltesejohn Here. . R/O do I remember you right?

#113 ·
G'day Dave,
Thanks and nice to hear from another ex-ICSN shipmate! This site is wonderful.
I still often see Bill Metcalf and Suresh Prabhakar in Hong Kong. They are shoreside in Pacific Basin, which bought out JSM. Also see Jim McManus, now retired, on his annual visit.
Don't say too much about Buenaventura here!
Best regards to you and the Mrs. (sorry, memory is going and I forgot her name).
Richard

#117 ·
ICSN alumnus.

Sailed from 1969 to 71 with Jardines as 3rd Mate on Eastern Maid (Master::Graham Taylor) and Eastern Cape (Master:Johnny Boyle). I remember Parrish. He fired me because I had done 18 months, was due off in HK, and suddenly they wanted me to stay for 2 more weeks and go to Japan. Had a Playboy Master who drive me nuts, so I said “No” I’m ready for leave. So they shipped me out. Had a great time on the Bay of Bengal Express Service. 11 knots, but the ‘Maid was a lovely ship. About 75% of our time was in port. Interested that Graham Taylor ended up in Belize. Used to run a ship into there 1981-2. Could have met up. I also don’t know what he found there. Terrible dump. Very violent. He was married to a very nice Japanese girl. Johnny Boyle was the best seaman I ever sailed with. I learned a lot from him. Japanese girls used to go nuts when he came in a bar because he looked just like Steve McQueen. There was a Jewish Ch.Mate called Lever(sp) who had bad gout. A 2nd mate from BI who got in trouble with a girl on the ‘Queen and used to live on gin. He ended up on the Cape Pillar lighthouse tender. There also was a Marconi man called George Butterworth. The ‘Cape went ‘foreign tramping’. She was ex-Hoegh and beautifully appointed, but she had those awful Kell hatch covers that needed tarps. Had I had a few weeks leave i could have stayed out in HK fleet. Went mickey-mouse flags after that. Banana boats, bilkers, then emigrated to Canada in 1973. After 37 years moved back to the UK in 2010. Worked on Canadian coast, ashore in govt, and ferries, and then retired in 2006. Glad I got in on the end of break bulk. In the beginning I thought it was going to last forever. Bloody boxes! Nowadays seafaring is definitely like being in prison. Anyboy remember me!

#127 ·
Hello,

Graham settled in Costa Rica where he married a local woman. I heard when he decided to move back to NZ she decided to stay. Graham's first wife was Hiroko whom I would occasionally see in Vancouver when Graham's ship called here. Sadly she died of cancer soon afterwards; that must be nearly 30 years ago now. We have a mutual fiend I keep in touch with but he tells me Graham has now dropped out of sight though still probably living in NZ.

Nick (1956-1965)

Sailed from 1969 to 71 with Jardines as 3rd Mate on Eastern Maid (Master::Graham Taylor) and Eastern Cape (Master:Johnny Boyle). I remember Parrish. He fired me because I had done 18 months, was due off in HK, and suddenly they wanted me to stay for 2 more weeks and go to Japan. Had a Playboy Master who drive me nuts, so I said “No” I’m ready for leave. So they shipped me out. Had a great time on the Bay of Bengal Express Service. 11 knots, but the ‘Maid was a lovely ship. About 75% of our time was in port. Interested that Graham Taylor ended up in Belize. Used to run a ship into there 1981-2. Could have met up. I also don’t know what he found there. Terrible dump. Very violent. He was married to a very nice Japanese girl. Johnny Boyle was the best seaman I ever sailed with. I learned a lot from him. Japanese girls used to go nuts when he came in a bar because he looked just like Steve McQueen. There was a Jewish Ch.Mate called Lever(sp) who had bad gout. A 2nd mate from BI who got in trouble with a girl on the ‘Queen and used to live on gin. He ended up on the Cape Pillar lighthouse tender. There also was a Marconi man called George Butterworth. The ‘Cape went ‘foreign tramping’. She was ex-Hoegh and beautifully appointed, but she had those awful Kell hatch covers that needed tarps. Had I had a few weeks leave i could have stayed out in HK fleet. Went mickey-mouse flags after that. Banana boats, bilkers, then emigrated to Canada in 1973. After 37 years moved back to the UK in 2010. Worked on Canadian coast, ashore in govt, and ferries, and then retired in 2006. Glad I got in on the end of break bulk. In the beginning I thought it was going to last forever. Bloody boxes! Nowadays seafaring is definitely like being in prison. Anyboy remember me!

#118 ·
Hi Irving and welcome to the forum.
Cannot say I remember you, although we were around the same parts then. According to my old discharge book I was on the Estern Moon 68/69, then the Eastern Ranger 1970 and finally the Eastern Cliff in 1971. All the names you mentioned are familiar and there are a few more blokes from around that era watching this forum whose names you probably know.
I left Jardines in june 1971 after 7 years of what I consider to be the best years of my sea going career.
Must say I agree with your closing sentiments about containers, unfortunately I think the one group of people who did not benefit from their arrival were the seafarers.

Regards

Mike

#119 ·
Gary,

This is a very long shot but I saw your name and of course instantly remembered you, firstly as the fourth mate on the Star in 1962 and then a year later a third mate on the Muse. I still have photo of you at Bangkok zoo with Anna feeding the elephants!. We celebrated our golden weeding anniversary last year. Do you remember the sewing machine you bought for five pounds just after you joined the Star

#120 ·
Hi Nick,

Just looking through some old photos a few weeks back and came across the group photo of our eldest daughter Amanda's christening at St Josephs in Hong Kong. You and Anna were top left.
We've just celebrated our 46th last Sunday, so have still some way to catch you up.

Regards to you and Anna.
Peter and Hazel.

#122 ·
Confirmation

Peter, I am so glad I identified you correctly. I think because we never sailed together again after our days on the Muse, we lost contact, also and I had forgotten you had stayed on for so long with Jardines. You really must send me a photo of Amanda's Christening. I still cannot recollect it!
As an ex-Hboat man please see my Empire Malta 1944 thread After 2 months it has failed to produce one comment
Nick

#126 ·
Ocean Thistle, Mountain Thistle, Fuhwo venture.
I remeber quite a few names from this era>> Capt. Tony Brennan >> Peter Walker Chief Eng. from Perth >> Richard Berthrand 2/O and then C/O on the Ocean Thistle >> Captain Ray Bennet from NZ >> Capt Kerr from Australia >> Pat Ellaby C/O >> Charlie Kocherla 4/E then 3/E >> Angus ?? 3/0 Ocean Thistle >> Malcolm ?? 2/O Ocean Thistle >> David Sawyers ?? Chief Engineer Ocean Thistle >> Ian ?? 2nd Officer >> Satish Naidu C/O Ocean Thistle >> Ken Shuttleworth 2/E ocean Thistle >> Jim Downing from Liverpool 2/E and C/E Ocean Thistle >> Stan (the man) electrician >> but I cannot synchronise the people to the particular ships.. maybe someone can throw some light this way... How can I forget these guys... we all had a great time.. never a dull moment that time. Anyone can add some more names?
Is that you Ron? my next door neighbour? Ocean Thistle?
maltesejohn@yahoo.co.uk

#130 ·
Ocean Thistle, Mountain Thistle, Fuhwo venture.
I remeber quite a few names from this era>> Capt. Tony Brennan >> Peter Walker Chief Eng. from Perth >> Richard Berthrand 2/O and then C/O on the Ocean Thistle >> Captain Ray Bennet from NZ >> Capt Kerr from Australia >> Pat Ellaby C/O >> Charlie Kocherla 4/E then 3/E >> Angus ?? 3/0 Ocean Thistle >> Malcolm ?? 2/O Ocean Thistle >> Dave Parker Chief Engineer Ocean Thistle >> Ian Coates 2nd Officer >> Satish Naidu C/O Ocean Thistle >> Ken Shuttleworth 2/E ocean Thistle >> Jim Downing from Liverpool 2/E and C/E Ocean Thistle >> Stan (the man) electrician >> Christopher Stergeon 3/O Ocean Thistle and many more who i cannot place in my aged head. Batteries are wearing off and I cannot synchronise the people to the particular ships.. maybe someone can throw some light this way... How can I forget these guys... we all had a great time.. never a dull moment that time. Anyone can add some more names?
Is that you Ron? my next door neighbour? Ocean Thistle?
maltesejohn@yahoo.co.uk
I made some corrections and added some names that I recalled yesterday

#131 ·
Hi Jim,

I was with Jardines as Electrical Officer from1981 thru 1985. I sailed on Malahat, Eastern Moon (twice), Raven Arrow, Mountain Thistle and Nandu Arrow. I don't remember if we ever sailed together, but it was good to see someone else from Jardines on SN. I then went to Swires for 15 years. My page is Jonesy55 I have some photo's posted on SN. Cheers, Jonesy

#133 ·
Hi Jonesy,
I dont recall sailing with you but you must know Ron the electrician who you could have replaced on one of the ICSN ships. I need to know his surname. He is from Newzealand. do you know him? I cannot find the pictures you mentioned. Whats the direct brouser link for it? can you paste it here pls?
cheers... maltese john R/O mountain thistle, ocean Thistle, fuho venture.
P.S. moountain thistle foundered in the 1991 hurricane 1500 Nmiles off perth with the loss of all crew. At that time it was owned by another company.
M/V "Mineral Diamond". Steel bulk carrier, 75,330 tonnes. Built in 1982 as the Mountain Thistle. Lbd 265.01 x 42.98 x 23.78 metres. Disappeared with her crew of 27 between Dampier and Cape Town, mid April 1991. She may have been caught on the edge of Cyclone Fifi and foundered in a force 10 gale about 1,500 nautical miles off the WA coast. [LW]

#135 ·
Hi all Richard Wakely is the only contributor I can recall sailing with during my time with ICSN and JSM from 1982 to 1987.

third Mate on Eastern Thistle, Fjord Thistle, Liwo Venture, Chemical Venture, 2nd Mate on Cape Thistle, Malahat ,Osprey Arrow x2 and Nandu Arrow.
Went into the offshore industry now in Luanda, Angola.

Mark Davies

#137 ·
Robert, are you still on this site? I sailed with you on the ROVER; You were Mate, Spider Murphy was 2/O and I was a brand new 3/0. And later on the the MAID, when you were Master, Don Gibbons was Mate and I was 2/0. Rocky Fitzgerald was 3/O, later relieved by Sudzee Burton.
Jon Elliott

#359 ·
Robert, are you still on this site? I sailed with you on the ROVER; You were Mate, Spider Murphy was 2/O and I was a brand new 3/0. And later on the MAID, when you were Master, Don Gibbons was Mate and I was 2/0. Rocky Fitzgerald was 3/O, later relieved by Sudzee Burton.
Jon Elliott
Hi John Elliott,
JOHN Cauchi from Malta here... were you with me while you were Chief Officer MV Ocean Thistle or MV Mountain Thistle or MV Liwo Venture? Malcolm Jones 3rd mate, Doug 2nd mate from Glasgow???