Ships Nostalgia banner

Karu

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dion de la Croix 
#1 ·
Greetings to all and especially to those who are still around to remember the days of bountiful New Zealand ships and plenty of jobs on the kiwi coast. Question, any body have any idea as to when the seaman's accommodation on the Karu was moved from the sharp end to the stern? I remember going aboard the Karu in Wellington in 1955 with the seaman living up front. I have found an excellent photo of the Karu prior to the change crossing the bar at Westport.

#2 ·
Dixon, in my time the Karu was the dread ship on the coast, for engineers anyway and accomodation anywhere was less that the other Union co vessels.
I was berthed near her many times in the late 50's and never noticed any change or how the accomodation was shared .
I hope that an ex crew member can help you .

Bob

#3 ·
Hi, re Karu,
I was on the Karu in Aug.1958 and again May 1959 I really only remember the accommodation being aft, but come to think about it that could be wrong, ?? one ship that I was on that had fo'c's'le accommodation was the Kopua and boy that was the last time, dropping the pick while still turned in was shocking, let alone all the Pile Driving that went on heading into a head sea. but no I'm not sure about the accommodation being in the fo'c's'le at any time .
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.