Iris lost off Guernsey 19th Dec 1918 - Ships Nostalgia
03:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Iris lost off Guernsey 19th Dec 1918

User Tag List

Old 3rd July 2020, 22:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering

Iris lost off Guernsey 19th Dec 1918

Hi All

Please can anyone help me with any information on the following vessel:

Iris, sailing cargo vessel
Official Number: 77109
Owner: Mr. Robert Mc Alpine, of 188 St Vincent street Glasgow
Built Hebburn in 1878 (I think)

She was lost off Guernsey north coast after losing her captain off Fowey possibly and she drifted across the Channel until striking land.

Any other information on her would be great she was only 83 tons so I cant seem to get any more info on her especially an image.

Thanks in advance

Guernsey Guy
Old 4th July 2020, 14:07

A few additional scraps: 77109 was built Hebburn, 1878. Originally schooner rigged, later yawl. In 1918, port of registry London; Ketch rigged; Code signal RNJW; managing owner Percy D Todd, 6 East India Avenue, City, London.
Old 4th July 2020, 14:59

Hello,
As quoted by eddyw she was owned at the time of her loss by Percy D Dodd. (source Mercantile Navy List 1918) Most Scottish newspaper reports of the incident say it was Robert McAlpine. This information was taken from the logbook of IRIS. My guess is she was sold sometime in 1917.
To confirm, get hold of her registration documents. This will tell you the exact date of sale. It may also give details of the sinking.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C10332944

An inquest was held in Gurnsey 23/12/1918. There was one body found and this was identified by Captain Winterflood as the Mate of IRIS one Reginald Lewis Collings. Captain Winterflood confimed they met in Fowey about a week before. No mention of the loss of her Master. The bodies of the rest of the crew were not found. The crew agreement/logbook of IRIS which will tell you the names of the other crew members and maybe reveal the enigma surrounding the loss of her captain, is available from here.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C2480740

For a photograph try the Mitchell Library Glasgow.

regards
Roger

Last edited by Roger Griffiths; 4th July 2020 at 15:03.. Reason: more info
Old 4th July 2020, 22:01

Thanks Eddyw and Rodger Griffiths

Found a little more about the crew today in the library. Yes, Reginald Lewis Collins (Mr Jack Collins stated for some reason) body was found on Fontenelle bay 400 yards from the wreck and I have the death inquest now. He was a 32 year old male and the Uncle to two other crew onboard. Two brothers Manning and one was never found, but the other lived for three weeks on a tiny island off the North of Herm (a tiny islet with no shelter). They found his dead body three weeks after the ship come aground and recently passed away. He had made a makeshift hole to hide in against a rock out of soil and wreckage. Hundreds of empty limpets shell scattered the floor around the hide, as this was his only food. They Identified his body by a tombstone tattoo on his breast.

Turned out to be a Crusoe story and very interesting. I need to research this story a little more now.
Old 4th July 2020, 22:15

Interesting. Did you ever find out if there was a connection with Captain Winterflood. Did he stay in Fowey or did he fall overboard?
I found this whilst mooching. https://guernseypress.com/island-lif...tmas-castaway/

regards
Roger
Old 4th July 2020, 22:45

I have some info saying the master was possibly lost overboard off Fowey, not sure how they knew this as no survivors to say he did, or his body might have washed up near there possibly.

One man was thought to have been killed by a falling mast, again not sure how they found that out.

The same info says that one of the Mannings managed to get away in the ships boat, again not sure how they know this info.

Capt. Winterflood (Capt. Charles Winterflood I think) was a regular to the Channel Islands and obviously had met him by chance as I don't think the Iris sailed to Guernsey, It was destined for St Malo we think with Clay.

Henry George manning was on the inquest documents and I was looking for a civil Burial record but now know both bodies were sent back to the uk, so that saves a lot of hassle looking for a headstone over here. We are going to place a plaque on the island as respect and some IRIS flowers. I will make a short movie of the story and post it on my YouTube page. (Bailiwick of Guernsey Shipwrecks).

There is some of the wreckage left on the rocks of the Iris now which originally got me more interested in the story.