Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 16 - Ships Nostalgia
13:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 24th December 2019, 13:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
BRYAN PORTER has asked me to pass on his best wishes to all those that knew and remember him.

He says "It is now 30 years since I last had any dealings with Rowbotham’s personnel and along with yourself I only keep in touch with Howard Robinson, Allan Thurbon and Sylvia Fisher"
Old 11th February 2020, 11:21
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.
Neil 1 Started as a AB ended up as mate served on Orionman eastgate, westgate, Northgate Irishgate, Rudderman, Tillerman, Steersman,Guidesman,Cableman, Polarisman Anchorman, Tankerman,Chartsman, finishing off on the Westgate in 99.
Old 13th February 2020, 22:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - 1987

Hi just came across this forum, I started with Hull Gates originally on the Natalie, Per, Humbergate (dc electrics! Seven was chief engineer), Westgate in Ethiopia and I was on the Eastgate for sometime with Andy Shenton. By that time Rowbotham had taken over, I did trips on Stellaman, Marsman, Polarisman and I'm sure a few more! I left to come ashore back in 87.
Great days
Old 18th June 2020, 05:02

Re:#06 Guidesman

I was an EDH in the Guidesman in January and February 1968. Looking at my old book the Master does look like Tommy Williams. I remember three Captains in two months. The first was a Geordie, who was seasick all the time, was that Tommy Williams? I joined her in Harwich and payed off in Cardiff. There were three on Deck. A young Irish lad who joined with me and the Bosun, Ritchie, who came from the Channel Islands. We all kept watches. The first port was Eastham on the Mersey. I must have had the eight to twelve because I went ashore after lunch and don't remember being in a rush to get back. I stayed in the pub till closing time (mid-afternoon in those days). When I came back aboard I found that Joe the regular Bosun had returned from leave and the Irish lad had been sacked. The only time that being in the Pub saved my job rather than lost it

John
Old 18th June 2020, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowjohn42 View Post
Re:#06 Guidesman

I was an EDH in the Guidesman in January and February 1968. Looking at my old book the Master does look like Tommy Williams. I remember three Captains in two months. The first was a Geordie, who was seasick all the time, was that Tommy Williams? I joined her in Harwich and payed off in Cardiff. There were three on Deck. A young Irish lad who joined with me and the Bosun, Ritchie, who came from the Channel Islands. We all kept watches. The first port was Eastham on the Mersey. I must have had the eight to twelve because I went ashore after lunch and don't remember being in a rush to get back. I stayed in the pub till closing time (mid-afternoon in those days). When I came back aboard I found that Joe the regular Bosun had returned from leave and the Irish lad had been sacked. The only time that being in the Pub saved my job rather than lost it

John
Tommy Williams, a great guy, lived somewhere on the South Coast. I sailed with him on the Pointsman and I don't recollect any mal de mer
Old 18th June 2020, 11:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebe View Post
Tommy Williams, a great guy, lived somewhere on the South Coast. I sailed with him on the Pointsman and I don't recollect any mal de mer
Hello Colin, I hopr that you are well. I sailed with Tommy Williams a number of times, I had just joined the company May 1968. and was sent as 2/mate to join the Guidesman, to learn the ropes. The permanent mate was Tommy McIlhinney from Larne, he had been relieved by Alec McInnon and later, Kenny Morrison, all good friends and good shipmates, I later, sailed with Tommy Williams when I was mate on the Wheelsman and finally when I was Master in the Leadsman 1971, he joined as supernumary to observe matters to do with tank cleaning.
As you said Colin, he was a great Guy, an excellent Shipmaster and shiphandler. Tommy was from North Wales Gwynedd or Anglesy, he was a first language Welsh Speaker, happy memories. Bruce.
Old 19th June 2020, 03:35

#381 Re: Guidesman

I think Tommy Williams was the Master when I payed off. I remember he was Welsh. Proper Ship's Captain, gold braid and all but a really nice bloke, would have a pint with us ashore.

I think the seasick one payed off in Eastham. The middle one was on the bridge when we were off Scunthorpe going up to Gunness. A blizzard had blown up and the Pilot wanted a wheel on. "Steer North a Quarter East" said the Pilot. The only time I ever steered to Quarter Points, in a blizzard off Scunthorpe.
Happy Days
John
Old 19th June 2020, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
Hello Colin, I hopr that you are well. I sailed with Tommy Williams a number of times, I had just joined the company May 1968. and was sent as 2/mate to join the Guidesman, to learn the ropes. The permanent mate was Tommy McIlhinney from Larne, he had been relieved by Alec McInnon and later, Kenny Morrison, all good friends and good shipmates, I later, sailed with Tommy Williams when I was mate on the Wheelsman and finally when I was Master in the Leadsman 1971, he joined as supernumary to observe matters to do with tank cleaning.
As you said Colin, he was a great Guy, an excellent Shipmaster and shiphandler. Tommy was from North Wales Gwynedd or Anglesy, he was a first language Welsh Speaker, happy memories. Bruce.
Hi Bruce, we are all well but somewhat bored with lockdown although Pat keeps me busy! There's a few names from the past, sailed with Alec McInnon on Helmsman and relieved Tommy McIlhinney on Quarterman. Last time I saw Tommy Williams was when he relieved me on Chartsman at Harwich many years ago
Old 19th June 2020, 09:55

My location
Nice to hear that you are all well Colin. Take care
Old 4th July 2020, 00:54

Guidesman 1968 Jan-Feb

Yes. Tommy from Larne was the Mate, a real character. I remember going in to Carrickfergus, the Tanker berth was at the end of the Port hand arm coming in. You had to go down to the other end of the Harbour turn and go slowly back to the Tanker Berth. We'd gone as far as we could and turned when a little figure emerged from the cabin on the Berth. "Harloooo Tomma" an Ulster voice boomed out. "Harlooo Billa" boomed back Tommy. "How are you Tomma" boomed Billy. "Fain Billa" said Tommy. By which time we were alongside and getting our Lines ashore. Tommy had been running into Carrickfergus for years with another company. I remember we were in a pub in Poole, having a drink with a Royal Marine from Croydon, same as me. "What you having Paddy" said the Bootneck innocently. "Don't call me f****** Padda" roared Tommy. The poor Marine might have been a trained Commando but he turned white under Tommy's onslaught. I made his night when I told him my Sister was taught by Protestant Nuns. Which is true but he took a bit of convincing.

Happy memories

John
Old 4th July 2020, 10:50

My location
Hello John, Yes, Tommy was quite a character, I sailed with him again when he was mate in the Rudderman, and met him on several occasions when he visited Pembroke when he was master in the Quaterrman.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:23

Guidesman Jan-Feb 1968

We had two second mates in that time, one had a beard and had been involved in the Nigerian Civil War, the other wore a bib and brace and had been an apprentice on one of the big companies. It's strange what we remember.

I remember the Pub in Wisbech, Dublin, Hamburg and Leith Labour Exchange to get the application forms for the Bricklaying Course, which I started in October 1968. I was a bricklayer until 1995, all started by those forms I signed when I was an EDH in the Guidesman in 1968.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:27

#387 Guidesman 1968

What Happy memories

John