Denholm current funnel markings - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Denholm current funnel markings

User Tag List

Old 3rd September 2018, 11:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Bar Protector. I joined this ship in San Carlos in the Falklands, my employment contract was with Northern Marine Management, Yet in my discharge book the Company Stamp is Brown and Root,
On My next vessel Stena Seaspread, though my wage slips were under Northern Marine Management, the Company stamp in my Book is Swedish Caledonian. it was not until 1985 that the Northern marine management appeared in my book.
In 1982 while on the Stena Inspector, I was employed by DenMac Offshore, then in 1983, I was employed by Swedish Caledonia.
Prior to those Companies, my Service Contract was with Denholm ship Management, Same building, same faces, same salary. just a name Game.
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Bar Protector. I joined this ship in San Carlos in the Falklands, my employment contract was with Northern Marine Management, Yet in my discharge book the Company Stamp is Brown and Root,
On My next vessel Stena Seaspread, though my wage slips were under Northern Marine Management, the Company stamp in my Book is Swedish Caledonian. it was not until 1985 that the Northern marine management appeared in my book.
In 1982 while on the Stena Inspector, I was employed by DenMac Offshore, then in 1983, I was employed by Swedish Caledonia.
Prior to those Companies, my Service Contract was with Denholm ship Management, Same building, same faces, same salary. just a name Game.
Hi Spence
Did we meet up in Kaoshiung in 1988, when you were on one of the Stena ships, and I was on the Merchant Pioneer ?
Bill
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
According to Companies House

Swedish Caledonian Marine Management Ltd was incorporated on 1st March 1983 (Scottish Company registered No. SC082005) and on 2nd September 1985 changed its name to Northern Marine Management Ltd and remains as such today.

STENA INSPECTOR (1982 - 1984)
Ice strengthened, fire fighting / diving, maintenance support ship for offshore installations. Fitted with two, diving moonpools.
As Built: 5,814g. 2,806n. 4,885d. 111.49 x 20.99 x 6.839 metres.
Post 1982: 6,060g. 2,672n. 4,670d.
Post 1984: 8,048g. 2,414n. 4,041d. 111.49 x 20.99 x 6,700 metres
Five, 16-cyl. 4 SCSA (250 x 300mm) Polar F216V-B vee type oil engines by Ab Bofors Nohab, Trollhattan, driving five generators, each powering four electric motors, geared to screw shaft with controllable pitch propeller. 14,400bhp. 15.5 kts. Two, directional thrust propellers aft, and two thwartship thrust propellers forward.
28.1.1980: Keel laid by Oresundsvarvet Ab, Landskrona (Yard No. 276) Rederi Ab Concordia, (Stena Line Ab, managers) Sweden.
3.4.1980: Launched.
12.1.1981: Completed.
1982: Transferred to Stena Caribbean Line Ltd., London. (O.N. 399182) for charter to the British Government, for use as a repair ship, during and after the Falklands conflict. (Denmac Offshore Ltd,).
1984: Sold to the Government of the United Kingdom (The Secretary of State for Defence) (Commodore Royal Fleet Auxiliary) London, and renamed DILIGENCE.
8.2018: Still listed on SeaWeb as in service (Laid-up in reserve).
Old 31st May 2019, 15:10
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Ah! Short runs!

When I joined in Nov 1971 I was the first cadet on board. Story was that the Denholm ship, like in Denholm Line, did not take cadets because of the cost of having a cadet on board. If a cadet was on a managed vessel then the owner paid the cadets wages. Not sure if it was true but might have been. I knew a cadet was on MOUNTPARK in 1971 but I believe the ship was on Time Charter to Naess (and with their funnel colours). For sure there were cadets on SCOTSPARL and GLENPARK in 1973/74. By the time WELLPARK came around it was the complete opposite!

Re accommodation. There was no cadet accommodation on board. I lived in the Pilot Cabin just abaft the wheelhouse. Good cabin too. Location had + and -. Too close for the Mate... on 4 -8. Shower two decks down but the bog right there. I had my own private bar. The Rigger's Mess. The bottle of the Johnny Walker's was kept in the box with the Smoke Helmet. When the Mate was on watch, Chippy and I could sit and have a dram or two. At least lunch in the crew mess on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Kept quiet about that one. I guess the cadet was on diet again. As if ever!

Stephen
Sailed as Engr on the Loch Long 1976 - we had three deckie cadets onboard - cadets and booze did not mix...especially when two put everyone on the shake at 02.00 one morning...including matey and the Old man....not a very good career move...do not know or care what punishment they got - but their tabs were stopped and we stopped them coming down the Engine Room for a quick Beer...unless we got one or two as well from the chiller room