Captain Sprigings' book: "Beyond the Mersey" - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain Sprigings' book: "Beyond the Mersey"

User Tag List

Old 8th November 2006, 12:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Can I refer those that may not have seen it to another thread concerning the publishing details for this book. Several of you that have expressed interest in the book have not responded to the information request on there.

Thanks

Tony
Old 13th November 2006, 12:48

Beyond the Mersey

I would like to record how much I enjoyed reading "Beyond the Mersey" not only because of the nostalgic reminders of a an age in British shipping now sadly a distant memory but also because of the recollections of T and J Brocklebank and its ships, some of which I had the good fortune to serve on during my brief period as a Radio Officer. I had never understood before this book how many factors combined to bring about the decline in the British shipping industry and maybe it could not have been prevented but it seems ironic that many other Nations appear to have maintained a viable shipping industry. Maybe the old adage is true that you never fully appreciate something until it has gone. The UK might come to rue the day that it has allowed itself to become so dependent on other nations ships.

I found the story about the beaching of the Mahseer particularly touching because she was my first ship and therefore occupies a very special place in my affections. It seems appropriate that the old girl refused to be beached without some sort of struggle.

My thanks to Tony the author for an excellent read and to the other Tony for taking the trouble to produce it and make it available to a wider readership.

Best regards
John
Old 13th November 2006, 20:01

My location
I am glad you enjoyed it John. I think, and hope, other readers will as well and it was for many of the reasons that you list above that I asked Tony Sprigings if he would consider releasing his memoirs to a wider audience.
Old 14th November 2006, 12:27
Active: 1963 - 2011

Tony(s) Can only echo John's message.

Very enjoyable and the information of the demise of Brocklebanks as we knew it was something I'd often wondered about.

I left Brocks. in '71 as 2nd. Mate along with the passing of the general cargo ships, after reading Tony's account of the Company my worst fears were exceeded concerning their progress to oblivion along with most of the British Merchant Navy.

Many thanks to the Tonys for enabling a wider audience to enjoy this ripping good read.

Best Regards. Martin Cadman.
Old 21st November 2006, 23:18

I would be interested in a copy count me in.
Old 22nd November 2006, 06:32
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
I would like a copy too. Also do the Brock guys know that a great painting of
the "MAHRONDA" appears on the dust jacket of the book "Liverpool Shipping",
a short history, by George Chandler ? Phoenix House,London, 1960. The cover
art is by Walter Thomas with vessel in the Clyde.Really poweful scene. Snowy.
Old 23rd November 2006, 17:11

My location
If anyone else wants a copy of the book will they please send me a private message. The other "Publishing Details" thread has been closed.
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:14
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
I ordered my copy from Tony by "Sea Mail " not so much as to save $ but it may help keep some poor Mariner in a job !!
I may get it before Xmas ? ( the waiting for it will make the reading so much more enjoyable .
In todays world with everything "on line " " Now " there is lost the antisipation and fun of having to wait for something .
Bit like a holiday ; 1/2 the fun is in the planning and expectation !
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:20
Super Moderator

My location
Bit like being at sea ?
While on board we all thought of leave and what we would do .
When the leave was coming to an end I always felt an excitement in wondering which ship was next and where it would be trading ? who would be my shipmates and just knew that there were lots of good times and laughs coming up soon .
I think our generation really had the best of it !!! ( lots of time in port and the Pound seemed to go a long way )

Derek
Old 24th November 2006, 14:23

I agree Derek life was an adventure in those days no instant communication, (morse code was the order) a movie was a luxury,as was mail from home, and most times we didn't know where the next trip would take us. Today they watch your every move from the sky and then you have to fill in endless multiple choice forms.Oh happy days.....
Old 24th November 2006, 15:45
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
I agree Derek life was an adventure in those days no instant communication, (morse code was the order) a movie was a luxury,as was mail from home, and most times we didn't know where the next trip would take us. Today they watch your every move from the sky and then you have to fill in endless multiple choice forms.Oh happy days.....
Absolutely ;
Especially as Master or Chief Engineer ; once Liverpool or the Channel were over the horizon the "office " could get stuffed !
Old 12th March 2007, 02:07

Have just finished Tony Sprigings book, and must say I enjoyed it very much. Wish him well for the future. Colin
Old 12th March 2007, 02:55
Super Moderator

My location
I also enjoyed Tonys Book; was a bit dissapointed that there were no reports of "Free School Street "
Derek
Old 19th March 2007, 10:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
I enjoyed the book also... I am surprised he didn't respond to the Cattle/Sheep
boat Thread as he wrote extensively about such ships in his book... was and is a very good read. Snowy
Old 19th March 2007, 10:44
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

Snowy, How do I find the cattle/sheep boat thread?
Old 13th October 2008, 18:06

As a new member with limited computer know-how I have come across the various messages regarding Tony Spriggins book.
Is it possible to get a copy - if so please tell me where to send the cheque.
Tony, I am sure, was known to me as he and I were about in Brocks at about the same time
Send me a PM

Thanks

Last edited by K urgess; 13th October 2008 at 18:20.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 14th October 2008, 17:35

My location
Sidsal

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Tony
Old 14th October 2008, 19:42

Yes i would buy the book Bob
Old 14th October 2008, 21:16

Dear Tony Selman
In case the message which I believe I have sent re your kind offer to loan me Tony Spriggin's book I am repeating my directions - viz -
(Edited to remove the address).
Thanks ever so#Sid

Sorry, Sid but it's unwise to put your home address up on a public site like this. Please make contact by PM to exchange that sort of thing
Regards
Kris

Last edited by K urgess; 14th October 2008 at 21:22.. Reason: Edited to remove home address from the post as per site guidelines
Old 16th October 2008, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
Tony's book has been referred to a couple of times over recent weeks. My business printed the original short run of this book for Tony's family and friends a couple of years ago. It had been in my mind for a while now to ask Tony if he would authorise another run to allow the Brock's, and other, enthusiasts on this site to enjoy what I considered to be an excellent read. Mike Wild's post of a couple of days has proved to be the catalyst and I have just spoken to Tony over the viability of the project.

I am pleased to say that he is fully in favour of the idea and and between us we would like to gain some idea of how many people are likely to be interested so we can gauge the print costs and the retail price. This is estimated to be between 12 and 14. Please post on here if you are interested in purchasing a copy.
Dear Tony
Thanks very much for the book which arrived this morning. Looks very interesting !
Best regards
Sid
Old 6th November 2008, 19:22

to tony selman

Dear Tony
Did you get Cpt Spriggins' book back ?
Also I have heard that he has been poorly.
Have you heard this. It was the late Capt Peter Margesson's wife who told me this but she was a bit vague.
Best regards
Sid
Old 12th November 2008, 14:55

Sid,
To set the record straight I have recently returned from hospital having had a heart attack. On the mend now and firng on three. Hope to be back to full strength by the turn of the year. Funny how bad news travels faster than good!
Cheers,
Tony
Old 12th November 2008, 15:52
Super Moderator

My location
Nice to see you back again Tony and glad you are on the mend . Regards Derek
Old 12th November 2008, 21:17

Thank you Derek and trust you are keping well
Cheers.
Tony
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:23

My location
Sid,

I am sorry for the delay in replying but I have only just returned from a two week cruise. Yes, I did receive the book back thanks.

I too am delighted that Tony is back in the fold and well on the road to recovery.