Boom Defence Vessels in the RN - Ships Nostalgia
10:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Boom Defence Vessels in the RN

User Tag List

Old 21st October 2009, 20:38
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1953 - 1973

Boom Defence Vessels in the RN

I served in the BARBICAN at Rosyth in 1961 as a LM(E) and have tried to get a decent photo of her for my album, can anyone who served aboard these ships direct me to where I can obtain a picture. She was a coal burner at that time and everyone had to muck in when taking on coal , a shock to the system at that time after coming from oilfuel burners, I was aboard her for 2 months as a relief,did`nt realise that there were still coal fired ships in the navy in them days.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:48
Active: 1963 - 1978

I was on the Barnard in'67 and still coaling ship at Greenock Boom Base.I'll ask around old Boomer friends about Barbican.Was it at Safegaurd then. regards, rab.m.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:18
user

Ceylon,

There is a pic of HMS Barbican HERE it looks a bit like a painting. I hope it is the same ship and it helps you.

Chris.

Chris.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:21

Try Forces Reunited Military Genealogy HMS Barbican. regards rab.m.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:51

Down in Cape Town, South Africa the SAS Somerset is preserved as a museum ship. Either the ex-HMS Barbrake or Barcross.
Old 1st November 2009, 17:18

My location
Ceylon220
have u tried UBOATNET also SOMERSET a search on Bar class boom defence should reveal many more sites
Steve
Old 1st November 2009, 17:54

rab.m. I was in SAFEGUARD in 1966-68 and looked after both the 1st and 2nd BDS plus the RFA and D606 manned vessels. BARNARD has a few memories, like the time the First Lieut gave the Ross & Marshall coaling gang a bottle of whisky to speed up coaling!!! BARNARD came round to Rosyth for refit and we found that instead hauling ashes the POM(E) had stowed them under the boiler, what a mess. The First Lieut would not have the ash drums in the waist. 2nd BDS at that time was BARNARD, BARRAGE, SUCCOUR, MOORSMAN & MANDARIN.
Gil.
Old 1st November 2009, 19:46

Gil, can imagine the mess under those boilers.Sounds more laziness than anything else to me.I was only steaming crew on Barnard before joining Laymoor for three years. Regards rab.m.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:18

Had some pleasant times with LAYMOOR, including having to fit the galley range out for coal burning when we could not get the diesel drip feed to work.
Gil.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:00

This shows a Photo of HMS Barfoss, which was identical.
www.jnbarcock.co.uk/Miscellanea.html
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:47

Remember that galley range well Gil,came on board one morning to find it glowing red hot and the duty stoker whose job it was to flash it up in time for breakfast back in his pit completely oblivious to every thing.A few of you ex-grey funnellers from that era may remember the three badge stoker concerned.Jock Christie one of stokerdom's greats God rest his soul.regards rab.m.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:42

Yes Jock Christie was some character, but in the mid 1950s to the end of the 1960s, Rosyth and Port Edgar seemed to be the home of so many of the RN's 'characters'. In the 100th MS, 51st MS, Fish Squadron, the Boom, men who were often a menace in their cups, were unequelled for sheer determination and work rate in often dangerous situations.
Gil.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:52
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Barbican

Ceylon 220
A recent update to this thread lead me to your old request for a photo of Barbican, I see you have since found on, I have dug one out of my collection which was purchased as being Barbican , but there is no way of reading the name on the photo . The photo was taken in 1957, see attached link

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/206843

Regards
Tim
Old 6th December 2009, 06:49

My location
barbican was at rosyth 1966 she was outboard of us (barnstone) when being the qm i stopped the barbs capt coming onboard as he had no id",dont you know who i am"etc etc no sir ive no idea who you are and you go no further sir.our ol man stood up for me when the shite hit the fan.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:39

"Don't you know who I am?"

To which the usual time-honoured response was "I'm afraid not, Sir, but give me five minutes and I'll find out for you!"

At the other end of the scale, when a new Captain joined GURKHA, a Tribal Class frigate in Rosyth, the First Lieutenant, OOD, Side Party etc all anxiously awaiting his arrival at the brow, when an admittedly rather scruffy looking individual in plain clothes starts coming slowly up the gangplank. "You there!" shouts the First Lieutenant, "Clear the gangplank! We're expecting our new Captain." "You there", responds the scruffy looking individual, "I've got news for you, boy, I am your new Captain!"

The content of the subsequent CO/XO conversation is unrecorded .......

Jack
Old 15th December 2009, 21:54

Wink

I've got one picture of HMS Barleycorn taken in 1956. Not much use to you though.
http://www.john-the-r-t.co.uk/cruise/html/bandw01.html
I was a Signalman at the time and well remember trying to get the coal dust out of every crevice before going ashore.

John the R-T
http://www.john-the-r-t.co.uk/ Cruise and Family site.
http://john-the-r-t.110mb.com/ - Annexe.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab.m. View Post
Gil, can imagine the mess under those boilers.Sounds more laziness than anything else to me.I was only steaming crew on Barnard before joining Laymoor for three years. Regards rab.m.
Hi my name is Eddie Day

I was on Laymoors first commision, unfortunately a lot of my photos went missing. When were you on her and do you have any phots I could have copies of.

She was the happiest ship I was ever on

Cheers

Eddie
Old 4th March 2010, 16:11

Coal ash, dropped/placed? underneath the Boiler's is one of the main sources for inside to outside Hull corrosion on a coal burning ship bearing in mind the hot ashes will have been cooled with water before they were dropped/placed? there.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 4th March 2010, 18:43
user

My location
I've deleted the post containing your email address, Eddie.
We try to avoid public posting of email addresses and prefer that members use the private message system.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17182
Old 12th May 2010, 20:12

barfoss

hi, was wondering if anyone had a photo of the barfoss. i had a loan spell
to her in either 64-66 or 68-69. i joined her at chatham and we went up to harwich/shotley near hms ganges. we operated in north sea and i remember
going back to chatham and having to help coal ship. captain also managed to
get my rum ration from a minsweeper that was at shotley.by the way i was a radio operator in royal navy on loan from hms mercury
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:53

Barnard

I was an Acting LM(E) on the Barnard 1961/62.Are there any old shipmates out there?
Old 18th December 2012, 19:04
Active: 1952 - 1965

I have just joined ship nostalgia hoping to find old!! shipmates from Barleycorn, 1957 - 1958. I was a stoker so know all about getting up the ashes and dumping them overboard during the morning watch, pulling and relighting the fires. We did a couple of trips up to Aultbay, Coaling was fun!! 200 tons all sent below by hand. I often ended up in the bunker trimming and trying to dodge the coal coming through the hatch. I have some photo's so if anyone was onboard with me please get in touch I'm sure we will have lots to talk about.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:20
Active: 1952 - 1965

would like to hear from you, appears you may have left as I joined Barleycorn. Would like to see the photo. Brian
Old 18th December 2012, 23:55

My location
barnstones last commish we destore/coaled 10/09/66 and myself being the youngest was given the privilege of being down in the bunkers topping up teepol drums with coal and in the last days just coal dust which those poor sods up on deck in the fresh air hauled up.by the end of this torment i was only good for a part on the black and white minstrels,i couldent wash it out ,so going ashore for a pint or ten was a nono i was reduced to the cochrane canteen which was a depressing place at the best of times.on reflection barnstone and lochinvar were my best drafts even though i lived in ipswich.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:07

My location
barbican i think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BARBICAN_1957_.jpg (28.8 KB, 27 views)