Arklow Shipping - Ships Nostalgia
18:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arklow Shipping

User Tag List

Old 17th November 2011, 22:55
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - 1990

Arklow Shipping

Hello all was with Arklow in the 80's and have been trying to track down some old shipmates. Its a bit of a long list but here goes.
Paul Jones, sailed with him on the Murrell where he was mate and relief Captain. Gary Pertini, Trevor Chalk ( Chalky) from Grimsby think was on the View and Murrell with him. Alan Wall from Cardiff View or Glenn, John McCooey from Dundalk engineer, Squeezebox Captain on the Glen, Miley Canavan from Wexford, The Glen, The Howler from Arklow (Brendan Coughlin?} Paddy Murphy from Ringsend. Danny Lyons The cook from Skerries. Robert and Adrian Cynthia June and Glen. Ken McCarthy from cork who joined us on the Murrell when he was about 17. For work experience as a cadet. While the rest of his fellow students had gone to ships sailing to exotic lands, Ken was sent to us because he was a messer.
He joined us on the Murrell ( the worst ship in the Arklow Fleet at the time, even though I loved it and stayed on it till the day she was handed over). He arrived with two ladies he had aquired on the way in the divine states of drunkeness and asks the Captain "Where is me Cabin. This was answered with the finest use of expletives I have heard lol.
Ken was a great character would love to know where he is now.
Lastly, sorry went off on a tangent there..... Dick from Salford, Cook on the Bridge? and his mate Ray from Cork.
Any help?

Last edited by walkonthewildside; 17th November 2011 at 23:00.. Reason: extra info
Old 13th January 2013, 16:14

ken mc carthy sailed mte with me on freedom 1998/1999 and went on to become master skiboo master
Old 15th January 2013, 15:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Arklow

I am "Squeezebox" or Robert Hilton. Soon to be 73 I'm still getting dug up, for which I feel truly lucky.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:59

My location
Was enquiring as to who the Brendan Coughlin was that you mentioned, but no one seemed to know the name. Wouldn't have been Brendan Coburn, would it?

Brian
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:32

Murrell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkonthewildside View Post
Hello all was with Arklow in the 80's and have been trying to track down some old shipmates. Its a bit of a long list but here goes.
Paul Jones, sailed with him on the Murrell where he was mate and relief Captain. Gary Pertini, Trevor Chalk ( Chalky) from Grimsby think was on the View and Murrell with him. Alan Wall from Cardiff View or Glenn, John McCooey from Dundalk engineer, Squeezebox Captain on the Glen, Miley Canavan from Wexford, The Glen, The Howler from Arklow (Brendan Coughlin?} Paddy Murphy from Ringsend. Danny Lyons The cook from Skerries. Robert and Adrian Cynthia June and Glen. Ken McCarthy from cork who joined us on the Murrell when he was about 17. For work experience as a cadet. While the rest of his fellow students had gone to ships sailing to exotic lands, Ken was sent to us because he was a messer.
He joined us on the Murrell ( the worst ship in the Arklow Fleet at the time, even though I loved it and stayed on it till the day she was handed over). He arrived with two ladies he had aquired on the way in the divine states of drunkeness and asks the Captain "Where is me Cabin. This was answered with the finest use of expletives I have heard lol.
Ken was a great character would love to know where he is now.
Lastly, sorry went off on a tangent there..... Dick from Salford, Cook on the Bridge? and his mate Ray from Cork.
Any help?
Hi. I was mate on Murrell in Dublin when handed over to Denholm of Kirkwall. Date i cannot remember must check DisBook. Have a photo of an old AB from Arklow taken at xmas time
Old 27th August 2013, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim egan View Post
Hi. I was mate on Murrell in Dublin when handed over to Denholm of Kirkwall. Date i cannot remember must check DisBook. Have a photo of an old AB from Arklow taken at xmas time
Hi Jim, I must have sailed with you. I was a deckie on the Murrell when she was sold. Did you have a son working on the hoo boats at the time?
Old 27th August 2013, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedeesea View Post
Was enquiring as to who the Brendan Coughlin was that you mentioned, but no one seemed to know the name. Wouldn't have been Brendan Coburn, would it?

Brian
Possibly also know as " The Howler"
Old 28th March 2014, 20:18

Hi, sorry took so long just gave it a miss for a while. Yes son Craige on Hoo boats and Paddy Murphy (ringsend) Murell with me cant mind others. Paul Dodge Skipper from Plymouth way if i mind right. Regards Jim
Old 28th March 2014, 20:21

Hi Robert, i never sailed with you but met you on a few occasions while on the Alice PG and Emily PG. Sailed with a very good friend now passed away Malcolm Crum as mate. Regards Jim Egan
Old 29th March 2014, 19:01

arklow shipping

jim sorry to hear about Malcolm he was a great character any h way how are you keeping rgds Robert angus
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:12
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1984

Whatever happened to Bill Brickley?

Mike
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:19

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Hall View Post
Whatever happened to Bill Brickley?

Mike
I heard he died quite a few years ago. Peter McKenna told me. I worked for Peter on the Eastfern, formerly Reggie Tyrrell's old ship, the Arklow Castle, I think, or was she the Manor?
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:11

arklow shipping

bob Robert reggie Tyrell was the arklow abbey the manor was one the bridge went up and down skiboo
Old 4th April 2014, 08:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboo View Post
bob Robert reggie Tyrell was the arklow abbey the manor was one the bridge went up and down skiboo
Thanks for that. My excuse for muddle is that I never set it down in my mind in the first place. My memories are usually accurate, but won't last for ever.
Old 11th May 2014, 15:12

Hi yes my son Craige on Hoo boats. Now crane driver on Dive support v/l in gulf of Mexico. Pat Murphy from Ringsend was o/b canny mind the old guy from Arklow great bunch. Jim
Old 19th May 2014, 17:19
Organisation: Tugs

Hi, im looking for old ship mates from the arklow fleet also, i was on the bay, faith, inisheer and valley from 98 till 2001, earnie kinch off the faith if anyone could help
Old 20th May 2014, 04:26
Active: 1961 - 2003

Hiya Lads I was with Arklow shipping from '01- '04 I was on the ' Moor a while with Larry the Mate, also the 'Spray, 'Valour, 'Faith and 'Freedom all happy ships and wish I was still young enough to sail on them. Also sailed with Ernie on the Faith, a good Man, had his Wife with Him, they lived in Runcorn. Happy days indeed. J. Dodd.
Old 20th May 2014, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dodd View Post
Hiya Lads I was with Arklow shipping from '01- '04 I was on the ' Moor a while with Larry the Mate, also the 'Spray, 'Valour, 'Faith and 'Freedom all happy ships and wish I was still young enough to sail on them. Also sailed with Ernie on the Faith, a good Man, had his Wife with Him, they lived in Runcorn. Happy days indeed. J. Dodd.
Ernie and may, great people, took me under his wing when i was just starting out, i was in the valley with ken gutridge if you no him, another good chap
Old 20th May 2014, 08:53
Active: 1961 - 2003

Hiya Dan, It was Ken Gutteridge who encouraged me to join Arklow, I was on a car carrier called "Seki Pine" in Setubal, the 'Valley was tied up behind us and I went onboard looking for Andy Dwyer Ken was having an early morning brew, He told me that he knew Andy but was'nt aboard, but if I ever needed a job as A.B. to contact Roger in the office, which I did later, and led to a few happy years. All the best. JD
Old 20th May 2014, 15:17

QUOTE=john dodd;865442]Hiya Dan, It was Ken Gutteridge who encouraged me to join Arklow, I was on a car carrier called "Seki Pine" in Setubal, the 'Valley was tied up behind us and I went onboard looking for Andy Dwyer Ken was having an early morning brew, He told me that he knew Andy but was'nt aboard, but if I ever needed a job as A.B. to contact Roger in the office, which I did later, and led to a few happy years. All the best. JD[/QUOTE]

Old 25th May 2014, 13:23

My location
Can anybody identify where this photo of "Arklow Spirit" was taken?

http://www.asl.ie/fleet/arklow_spirit/spirit_im.html

Thanks,
Brian
Old 20th June 2014, 21:39
Active: 2000 - 2004

Do Arklow Shipping still employ any Irish/British AB's or has all that come to an end now? Back in the early 2000s I was in touch with their office about a job but one thing led to another and it never happened but I remember visiting a few of their coasters back then and with the exception of the odd guy here and there, the entire crew seemed to be either Irish or British at all levels. Quite a novelty when I was used to British coasters having full foreign crews when I tried to visit them in port and the German coasters I sailed on having German officers but with the occasional exception, full non-German deck crew.
Old 7th October 2014, 11:25

All polish or filipino deck crew now. Mainly polish officers with occasional
British or Irish. I think the Eastfern was originally the Serenell.
Old 7th October 2014, 13:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpat View Post
All polish or filipino deck crew now. Mainly polish officers with occasional
British or Irish. I think the Eastfern was originally the Serenell.
Eastfern was Reggie Tyrrell's ship, Arklow Castle, I think, certainly not Serenell.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:59

Arklow have some quite large vessels now, good to see a shipping company that was small some years ago expanding. They must be doing something right, so long may they prosper.