Brocklebank characters! - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brocklebank characters!

User Tag List

Old 6th November 2008, 21:49
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Condenser Vacuum - Tommy Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
I only once sailed with Tommy ; round the coast on the Maidan as 4th Engineer.

He had a ritual of calling head office or having a junior engineer call for him to tell them that all was ready to sail and what the condenser pressure was 29.2 inches of vac etc. Goodness knows why ??

He was invited to Princess Margaret's wedding and had to be relieved to attend .Senior Cunard and Brocklebank people who were not invited were apparently quite miffed !
Tommy Lyons from Dundee was 2nd Eng and Batman was the sparks ; Talk about getting all the Characters on one ship at the same time !
Enough there to write a book on the one coastal alone .

Cheers Derek
I mentioned this call regarding condenser vacuum to Pat McCartan and his reply was that it came about as a result of an incident on Mangla's first coastal trip. He wrote - "We left the berth at Liverpool and lost the vacuum in the lock, the astern turbine gland steam valve lid dropped off and we missed the tide".

Regards,

Jim S
Old 7th November 2008, 03:13
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I mentioned this call regarding condenser vacuum to Pat McCartan and his reply was that it came about as a result of an incident on Mangla's first coastal trip. He wrote - "We left the berth at Liverpool and lost the vacuum in the lock, the astern turbine gland steam valve lid dropped off and we missed the tide".

Regards,

Jim S
Thanks for that Jim ; I always wondered why ? Derek
Old 7th November 2008, 08:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Talking of Tommy Jones I coasted in about 1962/63, I think on Maturata, when Pa Defty relieved Tommy Jones
That evening the two of them talked of "their old days" and what were then the old ships
If ever a conversation should have been recorded then that was it; but of course it wasn't and I have only an "alcoholic hazy memory"!
I recall that Pa Defty needed the day aboard engineer to check his room at regular intervals in case he'd fallen asleep and the constant cigarette had set his cardigan alight (he seemed to live in it)
Happy days

Bill
Old 15th November 2008, 19:07

Brocklebank characters.
The Maihar in 1943/4 had a chief steward whose name I forget who was a likeable rogue. We loaded coal at Louenco Marques (now Maputo) and sailed in a small convoy of clapped out tramps - Court Line, Baron Line, Larrinaga's up to Mombasa and then Aden -Suez - Sicily and Taranto. The armies were battling their way up Italy then.
In Mombasa the chief steward was caught selling stores. The feeding was poor as a result and in fact when we eventually sailed from Philadelphia for Liverpool the situation became critical. He came to the apprentices and begged us to sell him the "weenies" - tinned sausages which we had bought in the US. We swapped them for cigs. In Liverpool the police were waiting and arrested him for ( I believe) double bigamy.
After the war we were in Bombay and an immaculately dressed chap came aboard - same chap. He told us he was the superintendent steward for the newly formed Indian shipping line - the Hindustan Line if I remember rightly.
He said they were buying Liberty ships which had fridges and iced water fountains and that he was taking them out and selling them.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:47

Bob Stoddard was 5th Eng. on Maihar on our first trip after rebuild. He bought two goldfish at Eastham, which lived and thrived. At end of each watch each eng. checked that the bowl was securely wedged in at end of his bunk so as not to be thrown on the deck. All was well until he replaced the sand in the glass at Assab, short time later it was belly up!
Old 24th November 2008, 19:51

Second trip on Maihar after rebuild we had a 2nd Eng. forget his name, who was a photography buff. Exposed our negatives by quick flash of torch after blanking out light in cabin, and then developed by dipping in mixture in the w.b.
Most came out OK.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:16

My location
Remembering Dick Carberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
My cousin, Dick Carberry, was a Chief Steward/Purser in Brocks for a few years, in the 50's and 60's. He was, and still is a "character". Family legend has it that Dicky, who was an inveterate gambler and fond of a drink, was caught one night in Calcutta, selling all the spare mooring ropes on the ship.
Does anyone out there remember him?
Hi Pat
I certainly remember your cousin...not sure which ship!
I sailed as 5th Eng with Brock's '59 and '60. Is it possible to list the ships Dick sailed on during that period?

Regards
Brian Brown
Old 11th February 2020, 21:37

Hi John,
I loved this story, have not been on this website for years and a few of my own

Best regards
Geoff Bray