Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads - Page 114 - Ships Nostalgia
03:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 26th August 2013, 20:41

Under the 'CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION (2007/C 303/01)'

Article 48

Presumption of innocence and right of defence

1. Everyone who has been charged shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.
2. Respect for the rights of the defence of anyone who has been charged shall be guaranteed.
Old 26th August 2013, 23:25

My location
Thank you for clearing that up. I was always a little puzzled by this as I know that UK is this way and could not see how it could be different in the EU with UK a member as well.
Moving on........many thanks.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:22

Anyone have a read on when the parbuckling might begin? Appears it could be any day now, but suspect a lot of prep work with piping and pumps connected has to take place first.
Old 31st August 2013, 17:16

They have a couple more sponsons to mount on bow and stern. Assume they will will be installed before the start parbuckling.
Old 31st August 2013, 17:32

Thanks doyll
I have been wondering when, as the "moving update newsline" on this parbuckling project site implies that sponsons 1, 2, 14, and 15 would not hold up the start of parbuckling.
http://www.theparbucklingproject.com...page=progetto#

I certainly do not want to miss it.
Old 31st August 2013, 18:45

The figure showing progress on the site says 1, 2, 14, and 15 "to be installed after parbuckling".

I don't want to miss it either.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:09

The current situation is that a meeting is being arranged, in Rome, of all interested parties to discuss the rotation and any perceived problems.

The best guess is currently the 13th September being possible, however this would cause it to coincide with the Festival of San Mamiliano on that weekend.
The 20th September therefore seems the most likely date.

It is now thought quite probable that the two granite outcrops on which the ship is resting have penetrated the hull to some extent. This means that the initial movement will not only have to overcome inertia but maybe lumps of rock sticking into the hull.

The rotation is being worked out as three distinct stages.
Initial 'unsticking' and start to move.
Next 20 movement using mechanical force.
Final 20 movement using sponsons plus the weight, and CoG, of the ship itself.

I would suggest that current works involve setting, testing and tensioning the strand jacks, on both sides of the ship, and making preparations and final calculations of the forces and order required on each point.
All the sponsons that are going to be fitted at this stage are now in place.

Once the ship is upright then the next stage will be to pump out the water into a tanker, this may take 20 days.

At some stage they will also 'slide' the hull onto the underwater platform so that it is fully stable and also to give better working space on the starboard side to fix the sponsons and carry out any patching-up needed.

(Actually I am pleased that it has been delayed because on the original date set, 6th Sept, I will be in Iceland and having to pay an arm and a leg for an internet connection.)

Last edited by Mad Landsman; 31st August 2013 at 20:12..
Old 31st August 2013, 21:07

Mad Landsman
Thank you for the insight, and some idea of the plan.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 2013

The Costa Concordia in my own thoughts will never be salvaged,with the straboard side now crushed inwards,there is no way that she will remain upright and will sink very soon after parbuckling starts.A total waste of money by the insurance companies involved.The scrap value of the Costa Concordia at present is minus $1 billion or round about.Seems like a trip to the bookies tomorrow will bring good returns on an operation that has negative results.
Old 1st September 2013, 00:32
Organisation: RNLI
Active: 1972 - Present

What do you expect if you create a block of flats with a pointy bit at one end and the engineering bits at the back and a large hole in the middle just so everyone can have a balcony looking over the sea. Its not naval architecture at all.
Old 1st September 2013, 06:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Landsman View Post
Once the ship is upright then the next stage will be to pump out the water into a tanker, this may take 20 days.
May I ask why is the water being pumped out into a tanker and not just straight out into the sea? Is it because of pollution?

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 1st September 2013, 06:57

Pollution likely the case, as the ship is full of all the garbage, refuse, debris, clothes, food, toiletries, and booze that 4300 some people had among them at the time of the disaster. It's a small village enclosed in the ship. Maybe some is being pumped off all along, to remove that which is at least floating inside.
The Giglio locale doesn't want it pumped out on their shores, from what I've read somewhere.
Old 1st September 2013, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
May I ask why is the water being pumped out into a tanker and not just straight out into the sea? Is it because of pollution?
Yes, pollution is the reason. All the stuff that Beenthere lists.

If you remember the search operations inside were becoming hazardous. Even with a full dry bag the divers were 'noticing' the stench.

All that has been lying there undisturbed and now they are going to shake it up again.

That part of the coast is an Internationally recognised sea wildlife park and the Giglio Observatory, and the rest of the Giglioese, want to keep it that way.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:00

My location
Many thanks Gents.

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 1st September 2013, 10:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Pollution likely the case, as the ship is full of all the garbage, refuse, debris, clothes, food, toiletries, and booze that 4300 some people had among them at the time of the disaster. It's a small village enclosed in the ship. Maybe some is being pumped off all along, to remove that which is at least floating inside.
The Giglio locale doesn't want it pumped out on their shores, from what I've read somewhere.
Not to mention two bodies which are still missing
Old 1st September 2013, 11:14
Active: 1973 - Present

More insight here:

http://www.ffjournal.net/item/11657-...tmpl=component
Old 1st September 2013, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman25 View Post
Not to mention two bodies which are still missing
I've been wondering about those two bodies. What I've been wondering is that with the frequency with which passengers manage to fall off of balconies on ships sailing along calmly, it wouldn't surprise me if at least a couple of folks might have been out on their balconies to watch the Giglio drive-by. The whack of hitting that rock could have nudged 'em over the rail. Purely conjecture, but with so many balconies, it'd surprise me if someone hadn't taken a spill from one amid such an incident.
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:23
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day beenthere.m.yesterday.02:32.(p2830)re:cruise ship 'costa concordia' aground.thank you for posting a most interesting link on the amazing job the salvage comp.s are doing,it is a whole new dimension in wreck recovery,regards ben27
Old 5th September 2013, 08:02

Helicopter lowering supplies or parts on to the CC about 0900 ship time
Old 5th September 2013, 10:05

It was working yesterday too. Using a very long line to lower whatever it is. I hope the excellent film maker Piero Landini is recording the aircraft`s movements. His posts on Youtube are stunning.

Last edited by Arrow5; 5th September 2013 at 10:08..
Old 5th September 2013, 16:29

Arrow5
Thank you for that tip to Peiro Landini's Youtube vids. Much appreciated, and had not seen them before. Shows some detail that had my curiosity up, and I'll be looking for more of them. Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 08:19

My location
This page has a video showing progress to date. It also has an interview with Nick Sloane. I noted what looks like a control room has been installed near CC's bows..could be a fun ride during righting. http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/engin...-costa/vCBrcZ/

I read elsewhere that Titan have been given approval to start righting the ship as soon as final safety certificates have been issued.

Last edited by Iangb; 8th September 2013 at 08:22..
Old 8th September 2013, 10:03
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
It's the same youtube video from Reuters which is on Google news today. It was GCaptain that reported Friday that approval had been given by the Italian Authorities for the parbuckling operation to go ahead and is expected for 16 to 20 September.
Old 8th September 2013, 10:12

Good close-up photos , including workboat "Voe Earl", on http://www.firenze.repubblica.it/cro...ndata-659975/1 to find 17 excellent detail shots from the seaward side.

Last edited by Arrow5; 8th September 2013 at 10:25..
Old 8th September 2013, 23:45
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day langb.sm.yesterday.re:video to date.(p2847)thank you for posting the very informative video.it looks like there ready to turn her,after all the skill that has gone into the project you can only wish them well.thanks again,ben27