Sagamore - Ships Nostalgia
10:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sagamore

User Tag List

Old 12th October 2004, 22:44

Sagamore

SAGAMORE and EDENMORE were two medium size ore carriers built at the Blythswood yard for Furness Withy and SAGAMORE is seen here inbound to Glasgow.
She was scrapped in 1992 as CAPETAN ALBERTO.EDENMORE went in 1984 as WELCOME.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sagamore.jpg (8.5 KB, 369 views)
Old 13th October 2004, 22:23

My location
Also EDENMORE became Italian ,after WELCOME she became DUGLASIA and
was scrapped a few time later CAPITAN ALBERTO .
Old 13th October 2004, 22:31

Also remember a similar ore carrier BEECHWOOD I think becoming an Italian ship,CAPETAN FRANCO V I think and was very colourful.Will look for photo.
Old 13th October 2004, 22:43

My location
Yes you have good memory CAPITANO FRANCO V was BEECHWOOD and had
a sister build as ALDERSGATE and scapped as DANUBE in middle 80s.
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:37

Sagamore/Aldersgate

They say you learn a little every day and today it is my turn big-time. I sailed on the Sagamore for BISCO running between Workington and Russia(mostly) in 1972/3. Never realised that it was a near sister to the Aldersgate which I sailed on as a very young cadet in 1967 from South Wales to Rio (of all places!) and back to Rotterdam. The memories don't come flooding back, too much water under the keel for that, but I remember arriving at Rio on a ship almost out of fresh water and enjoying the local "night" life. I believe that the Aldersgate was owned or managed by the Bishopgate Shipping Company. Happy days!
Old 13th December 2007, 15:48

Sagamore

FROM THE SUN NEWSPAPER JANUARY 1976
Aship cat has been saved from death by a special clause in a boat bying contract.
Furness Withy the british ship owners,insistthat the Italian buyers should do there best to keep the Siamese cat Princess Truban Tao-Tai,happy in her old age.
And that means the cat who has never left the 15,500-ton Sagamore since she joind the crew in 1959 will continue to have the run of the captains cabin
the Princess has traveld more than 1.5 million miles in the Sagamore and Furness Withy pleaded with the Italians not to have her put down.They eventually agree.A Furness Withy spokesman said "She is coming to the twilight of her life now and we didnt want to see her distroyed
Old 13th December 2007, 17:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Good story Brian,

There are two photos of the Sagamore in my gallery, one as the Sagamore in Newport and one as the Capitan Alberto in her Italian colours.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...php?photo=7956

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp?photo=40816

Cheers Frank
Old 13th December 2007, 17:34

Im New At This Game Ill Get Back Thanks

Brian
Old 15th January 2008, 00:37

My location
does anybody remember the sagamore sailed from dublin in 73, to rio it was my first deep sea trip as a deck boy, the bosun was sandy maccloud would like to here from any crew members from the ship or any photos
Old 15th January 2008, 10:51

My location
hi mick it must have been about the same time i sailed in her , dublin to rio we had two weeks at anchor in rio nearly lost half the crew what a trip
Old 15th January 2008, 11:16

As a Furness Withy apprentice I got orders to join one of them, the Sagamore I think it was, but the orders were changed before I got there. They seemed to spend most of their time running between Canada and Port Talbot in those days.
CBoots
Old 16th January 2008, 14:51

seem to remember that the 'Beechwood', 'Cherrywood' & 'Silversand' were sisters. Any confirmation.
Old 17th January 2008, 06:25
Active: 1964 - 1990

I seem to remember that the Sagamore caught fire in one of the Welsh ports with the loss of 1 life,the sparkie I seem to recall. Apparently they were having a christmas party for some local kids and the decorations caught fire. I sailed on the Edenmore, lovely job. Cheers Jan.
Old 6th May 2008, 22:13

My location
sailed on the sagamore in 73 great mixed crew English Irish Scots and welsh the only names i can remember is sandy mcleod bosun from stornoway and a Des jack from Dublin
Old 6th November 2008, 21:27

M.V. Sagamore

Shipmates,

I have found that information regarding the Sagamore is very hard to come by. Very few books make reference to this particular vessel at all and the internet turns up next to nothing.

The only information that I have been able to obtain so far is the fact that the Sagamore was owned by FURNESS WITHY & CO LTD and was built in 1957. She was approx. 10,792t, with a total length of 505 ft and breadth of 67 ft.

Any information/photos/stories regarding this particular vessel would be greatly appreciated. I would also be delighted to hear from anyone who actually served on the Sagamore.

Kind Regards,

BPCadet
Old 6th November 2008, 22:03
Active: 1970 - 1985

My location
Hello BP Cadet
If you put Sagamore in the search forum box you will come across threads like this.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...light=Sagamore
once in a thread you can also search that thread.
Old 6th November 2008, 22:14

M V Sagamore

One of 2 ore carriers operated by Furness Withy.Sister ship was M V Edenmore.Both had Johnston Warren type names ending in -more.
Sagamore was built in Glasgow 1957 and Edenmore completed in 1958. Both mainly operated on charter to British Steel Corporation.
Hope this helps.
Old 7th November 2008, 07:38
user

My location
Ian and Nigel,
Thank you for your good support (with the gentle and kind reminder that it is good to do a 'search' using the key word) - BPCadet's thread [which starts at # 15 and then your # 16 and #17] has now been merged with this main Sagamore thread, which was started way back on 12th October 2004.

Mark

Last edited by non descript; 7th November 2008 at 07:59..
Old 7th November 2008, 11:16

Sagamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPCadet View Post
Shipmates,

I have found that information regarding the Sagamore is very hard to come by. Very few books make reference to this particular vessel at all and the internet turns up next to nothing.

The only information that I have been able to obtain so far is the fact that the Sagamore was owned by FURNESS WITHY & CO LTD and was built in 1957. She was approx. 10,792t, with a total length of 505 ft and breadth of 67 ft.

Any information/photos/stories regarding this particular vessel would be greatly appreciated. I would also be delighted to hear from anyone who actually served on the Sagamore.

Kind Reg

BPCadet
Hi Reg
I sailed on the Sagamore. Joined her in 1958 as S.O.S. I believe it was her 3rd voyage,
Stayed on her until she was laid up in Blackwater Creek in 59. Lack of orders.
I joined her again as A.B. in 1959.
I can only speak highly of the ship. The food was spendid. The Officers and crew mingled very well. The Captain on both occasions was a slightly built man from Wales I believe ,the Ist Officer was Mr Taylor(quite a chatacter)
The Bosun was from Cardiff (Great man)
Did all the Iron Ore Ports...Narvik ....Oslo ....Seven Islands... Belle Isle...Lisbon....Algiers... Casablanca... Monrovia...Vitoria.
Verey happy memories.

Last edited by K urgess; 7th November 2008 at 11:25.. Reason: Excess line feeds
Old 19th December 2008, 23:55

I remember the good ship "Sagamore"
I was the agent for the Furness Withy Group back in the 70's when the Sagamore called at the West Thurrock Power Station just before she was sold.
I also recall the special clause in the sale contract when the ships Cat had to spend the rest of her natural life onboard the vessel in the masters cabln.

I also have a picture of the cat. I will see if I can find it and upload the picture.

Last edited by phcfelix; 19th December 2008 at 23:56.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 20th December 2008, 07:51
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by phcfelix View Post
I also have a picture of the cat. I will see if I can find it and upload the picture.
Thanks and it would be good to see a picture of the cat; the saga was given some more airtime by Brian Herdman at # 6

Mark
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:33

I joined the SAGAMORE in Glasgow on 18th March, '63 as radio officer. I left on 3rd June 1965 in Barry, to join the B & C group. Very happy years in SAGAMORE. Knew ship's cat very well. Went by the nickname of Mouser. During that time, some names I remember were:
Captains Swann & Wiles.
C/O Taylor, Phil Warne, Thorogood, Firth
2/O Usher, Dabbs,
3/0 Hindmarch, Dyson, Bennett, Hodges
Deck cadets Badger, Farge, Kendrick, Blades, Jones, Watkins, Priestley
Eng cadets Hockenhull
C Eng Sunley, Wendt
2/E Pride, Morley
3/E Gee, Morgan
C/Stwd Dutton, Thompson, Foot-Wengler
Elec Binns, Gear
Bosun Bool
Carpenter Macalinden

Am still in touch with Phill Warne (ex C/O).

Several years later, sailed with one of the ABs (Alfie) in the WINDSOR CASTLE. He was tourist deckman & I was 4th R/0

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 22nd December 2008 at 10:05..
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:06

I only did a short spell on the EDENMORE in 69 and memory not too good, so could anyone settle an argument . I seem to remember we used boiled oil only in way of the hatches, after chipping and wire brushing. We never painted the deck. If I remember correct it was trial idea on that vessel only.
Thanks
Neil
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:05

During my time aboard SAGAMORE, the foredeck was never painted, but it was coated in fuel oil, that made it a black sticky mess for a while, but it looked very smart when freshly done. I suppose fuel was cheaper than paint in the early 1960s!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
During my time aboard SAGAMORE, the foredeck was never painted, but it was coated in fuel oil, that made it a black sticky mess for a while, but it looked very smart when freshly done. I suppose fuel was cheaper than paint in the early 1960s!
Bob

Thanks for that Bob. Seems like it was maybe common practice, not to paint. Never went on another ore carrier after the EDENMORE.

Regards
Neil