Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland - Ships Nostalgia
00:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland

User Tag List

Old 10th November 2005, 09:28

Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland

The 460-gt coaster Nord Star (built 1978) ran aground off the western coast of Scotland Wednesday, but was later able to refloat itself.

The UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency confirmed that the 40-metre coaster had gone aground at Lochaline in the Sound of Mull at 18:16GMT.

The British registered ship, which was carrying a cargo of salt and had four crew, was reported aground by a Caledonian MacBrayne ferry.

The Clyde Coastguard sent the Lochaline Coastguard Rescue team and requested the launch of the Tobermory RNLI all weather lifeboat to the scene.

“The Nordstar managed to float free at 18:35GMT and is now at anchor in Lochaline,” said John Griffiths of the Clyde Coastguard.

He added: “No damage has been sustained to the coaster. We believe Nordstar was heading for the Isle of Skye."

***The Nord Star was built as Crescent Shipping's Ordinence in 1978. She was built at the Cubow Shipyard, Woolwich and a familiar sight on the Thames in the 1980s before being sold in 1994.

Last edited by Thamesphil; 10th November 2005 at 09:32..
Old 10th November 2005, 14:03

My location
Nord Star pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamesphil
The 460-gt coaster Nord Star (built 1978) ran aground off the western coast of Scotland Wednesday, but was later able to refloat itself.

Seen here about to berth in Oban
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nordstar.jpg (40.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 10th November 2005, 16:20

She looks a bit different now, compared to her days as a Cresecent ship, with the large excavator on deck and additional wheelhouse for visibility.

Phil
Old 10th November 2005, 21:29

glad "nord star" appears undamaged.i was owner /master of her for 6 years during which time i fitted her with excavator and lookout box on wheelhouse top.these additions allowed her to self load/discharge as we traded mainly around the islands on the west coast of scotland also shetland and orkney where she was based(kirkwall).she was sold to river sea trading on 14th june 2004 who have continued with the same trading patern.
Old 11th November 2005, 12:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Found some sites of her:

http://commercial.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=31012

http://www.wright-international.com/wil1240.php
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:02
Active: 1944 - 1953

hi thames phil,10th,novenber,2005,18:28 re:nord star in trouble off western Scotland,i have been reading old thread with interest,glad she got herself off,a point of interest,you say she carries salt,and traded mainly around the islands on the west coast of Scotland.what is all that salt used for?there are not that many chips about (joke)thanks for an interesting thread,have a good week end,ben27
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:18
Active: 1963 - 2011

#6.

Road salt would imagine?
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:44
Active: 1944 - 1953

hi pilot.today,05:18.re:nord star in trouble.thank you for your input.i did not think of that(salting the road)we don't get snow here,as I write it is 30"dgs.i have the aircon goieng, have a nice day ben27