Ships Nostalgia banner

Sea of Hull. Am I a philistine or what?

8K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  cueball44 
#1 ·
Just saw on telly one of those mass nude photoshoots taking place in Hull, titled Sea of Hull. 3200 fat b@stards got their gear off and were painted blue in the name of art. Going on the colour of the water round Hull, they should have been painted brown but that may have been construed as supporting the "Black and White Minstrels".

If the gathering on the swing bridge had all done a synchronised "spreaders", they could have called the photo "Blue Moon".

One shot showed all the tubbies lying down snuggling up together - wonder if anyone got their "hurl".

John T

#4 ·
Hi , no John it doesn't help. During the war we had two army guys billeted with us in Edinburgh. Mick and Bert. Bert drove this massive American thing of a car . I had never been in a car and I asked for a hurl,(both M&B were English by the way), and I had to repeat myself several times before Bert said, 'oh you want a ride in the car. Trouble is, in my world then, a ride was something which involved men and women. I remain confused to this day.

#6 ·
JG, not sure where you are from so dunno which version of the vernacular you are familiar with. Having a "hurl" in a car would mean "spewing your wrap up" to me. "Getting your hurl" (in Hull) would equate to your "getting a ride".

Apart from that, did the art move you?

John T

PS Well done John Dryden for keeping your explanation delicate.

#11 ·
They are demonstrating the well known Latin sayings....

" Ars longa est, vita breve." Translation " The longer your bottom, the shorter your life "

"ARS GRATIA ARTIS" Translation " Arthur has a sore bottom "

" Ars est , celere artum " translation " My back passage is blocked by a stick of undigested celery, and it hurts."

Laurie Ridyard.

#22 ·
John T, I am disgusted by your comment of '3,200 fat bastards'!
This is discriminatory and I feel that you should be taken to task over such a crass statement.
Not everyone was fat! There were a few nice, tight arces facing the camera and some of the sheilas had attractive bums too!!

Taff

#23 ·
Sorry, Taff .... That was a sweeping generalisation, should have said 3,199 fat bastards. On the bright side, they might be fat bastards but at least they're Yorkshire fat bastards.

The bloke behind the statue in post #5 isn't that fat but he looks like a public breast feeder to me.

John T

#32 ·
Salvation for you in today's Telegraph John. An Israeli team has completed the investigation of the first Philistine graveyard to be found and concludes that they were a sophisticated people with attitudes slightly at variance to the mainstream. Does that ring any bells?

#45 ·
As a" blow in" to the Hull area, my favourite Hull expression by far is:-

Mamma Mia = Mother I have arrived home!

For our dear friends who are struggling with the Hull expression "Hurl", In the old golden days when the lusty mariner strode ashore in a seamanlike manner looking for some physical relief, one would enter a certain type of bar, consume several beers to improve your eyesight, select a young lady and disappear upstairs in order to get ones hurl!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.