LLandudno trip - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

LLandudno trip

User Tag List

Old 21st April 2015, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I don't recall a concrete slip there Graham, that's not to say there wasn't one though. A picture taken from more or less the same spot, but looking in the other direction.
I can't remember off hand the exact date, but I think it was July, and it was very hot, 30c, and there was a VERY big England match on at the time.
I went from there across Snowdonia down to Porth Maddog and spent a day there riding the train, then drove home.
There is a concrete slipway for the inland RNLI lifeboat to launch into the sea.
Old 21st April 2015, 22:35

The lifeboat is stored in the town so that it can be launched on either shore - the west shore facing Conwy Bay or the shore facing north where the pier is.
We were there week Sunday when it was blowing hard and saw the boat launched to assist a yacht. I told one of the crew that the last time I saw it launched was in 1939 when it took the local doctor out to the Thetis site.
I was in school in Llandudno pre WW2.
I am told that Llandudno is the 3rd most visited place in the UK - the first being London and the second Edinburgh. The Mostyn estate has ensured it retains its Victorian frontages etc.
In ww2 the BBC were evacuated to N Wales and many Jews came from London to get away from the Blitz. It was suggested by some wag that Llandudno should be changed to Llanyiddno, Coleyn Bay to Cohen Bay and Rhyl to Isrhyl.
Sandy McPherson used to broadcast his programme - Sandy McPherson on the theatre organ, every day from 10 to 10.30. He played the Wurlitzer organ in the Odeon Cinema, Llandudno and the organ came up from the pit with flashing lights etc. there was a hoarding outside which said - We all love to see Sandy McPherson,s massive organ rise and change colour. True!
Old 22nd April 2015, 04:42
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

[QUOTE=sidsal;1371129]The lifeboat is stored in the town so that it can be launched on either shore - the west shore facing Conwy Bay or the shore facing north where the pier is.
We were there week Sunday when it was blowing hard and saw the boat launched to assist a yacht. I told one of the crew that the last time I saw it launched was in 1939 when it took the local doctor out to the Thetis site.
I was in school in Llandudno pre WW2.
I am told that Llandudno is the 3rd most visited place in the UK - the first being London and the second Edinburgh. The Mostyn estate has ensured it retains its Victorian frontages etc.
In ww2 the BBC were evacuated to N Wales and many Jews came from London to get away from the Blitz. It was suggested by some wag that Llandudno should be changed to Llanyiddno, Coleyn Bay to Cohen Bay and Rhyl to Isrhyl.

And so were the Inland Revenue offices for SurTax (the "very wealthy" tax) .They were moved in mid/late 1939 and some people (my father incuded) never returned to his hometown until 1947 to a temporary site at Somerset House on the Thames in London then permanent a location at Hinchley Wood Surrey
My mother, sister and I moved back home 1946, during 46/47 my sister and I received our 'pocket money (2 Shillings or half a Crown) in holes made in a strip of Corrugated cardboard fitted into a regular letter, Sometimes the coins disappeared enroute

The war seemed a long time over before all my family returned home.
Mostyn Road/street rings a bell

Graham
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:21

Graham
Mostyn Road/street rings a bell

Mostyn Street is the main drag in Llandudno, where most of the cafes and restaurants are situated. There is a department store in Mostyn St called Clares which you may remember. My missus makes a beeline for it whenever we go to Llandudno, its got a nice restaurant on the top floor, and to get up there, there is one of the oldest lifts in the UK, with passenger operated double trellis doors, which you have to close when you get out otherwise the lift wont move off and you get a a bollocking on the tannoy system.
Its like going back eighty years entering that store.
Regards,
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clares Mostyn St.jpg (38.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Mostyn Street.jpg (179.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1965

G'day pat,
I know this is a different subject but I am still wondering what ship and date was the crowd sooging the funnel.i remember doing once in my time at sea ,it's a great photo I whish I was one of those guys
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdunn View Post
G'day pat,
I know this is a different subject but I am still wondering what ship and date was the crowd sooging the funnel.i remember doing once in my time at sea ,it's a great photo I whish I was one of those guys
Mick,
The photo was taken on board Ulysses in 1962 by SN member Hank, and the crew were Malay.
Hank kindly gave me permission to use this pic as my avatar.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:23
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988

[QUOTE=sidsal;1371129].... We all love to see Sandy McPherson,s massive organ rise and change colour...../QUOTE]

Am I the only one having a chuckle at the picture this conjures up?

Chris

R903573
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:49
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

[QUOTE=brummiechris;1372433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
.... We all love to see Sandy McPherson,s massive organ rise and change colour...../QUOTE]

Am I the only one having a chuckle at the picture this conjures up?
No!!!!
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:27

No ��.
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Mick,
The photo was taken on board Ulysses in 1962 by SN member Hank, and the crew were Malay.
Hank kindly gave me permission to use this pic as my avatar.
Best Regards,
Pat
Well pat that settles that, I was hoping one of those bos'un chair guys was me!Now I will have to tell my grand kids the truth
Cheers mate Mick.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:43

Quote:
Well pat that settles that, I was hoping one of those bos'un chair guys was me!Now I will have to tell my grand kids the truth
Cheers mate Mick.
Just go for it Mick, Tell em your the one wearing a stetson. You'll be a legend in your own time! How they going to find out?

Pat
Old 23rd April 2015, 21:03

Since they allowed Asda etc into the town, Mostyn street which was quite upmarket deteriorated. It now has a lot of cheaply shops selling junk.
There is however an excellent shoe shop - er indoors and others bought several pairs.
Old 24th April 2015, 00:15

Quote:
G'day pat,
If its a different subject ,keep off this post please .What the hell are u on about ? I do not want to know ,over and out. Should moderators stop this ?Please.