American Cargo Ship ‘El Faro’ Missing with 33 Crew - Ships Nostalgia
09:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

American Cargo Ship ‘El Faro’ Missing with 33 Crew

User Tag List

Old 3rd October 2015, 01:51
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - Present

Prayers For The SS El Faro

The SS El Faro, en route from Jacksonville to San Juan was caught in the latest Hurricane. She has not been heard from since early yesterday... Prayers... Prayers....
Old 3rd October 2015, 02:27
Active: 1960 - 1976

American Cargo Ship ‘El Faro’ Missing with 33 Crew

<http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/10/02/southeast-floods-flooding-hurricane-joaquin-bahamas/73196666/>

http://tinyurl.com/nad47tj

US flag 735-foot ship named El Faro with 33 aboard missing as Hurricane Joaquin slams Bahamas

TOTE Maritime, the owner of the ship, said in a statement that it was in contact with family members of those on board and was working to "establish communication by whatever means possible" with El Faro.

The vessel has 391 containers topside and 294 cars, trucks and trailers below deck. That cargo makes the listing problems even worse at sea, Fedor said. He added the Coast Guard is "very concerned" about the ship and is doing everything it can to locate it.

Unquote

<http://gcaptain.com/tote-maritime-us-cargo-ship-el-faro-missing-in-hurricane-joaquin/>

http://tinyurl.com/pbe97pe

Search Suspended Overnight for American Cargo Ship ‘El Faro’ Missing with 33 Crew

Greg Hayden
Old 3rd October 2015, 02:42
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

Used to ride her back in my AB days when she was Puerto Rico. Beautiful ride and powerful ships.
I hope they find her afloat and all hands safe and accounted for.
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Let's hope there's some positive news in the morning. Even though it's a Class 4 hurricane that's a big ship and hopefully she can survive.
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:33
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
Let's hope there's some positive news in the morning. Even though it's a Class 4 hurricane that's a big ship and hopefully she can survive.
A Class 4 hurricane is no room for any size ship.
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:12

Lets keep our fingers crossed for the seamen.KYPROS
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:04

My location
Pray for those souls on board. Anyone who has survived one of those nasties knows the feeling in the gut of every one of them as they wait for the terror to subside.

Taff
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:16
Active: 1971 - 1998

Back in the day, I was 1st Eng on the Caguas, Bayamon and Ponce. What was El Faro's name under Navieras de Puerto Rico/PRIMMI?

Last edited by FuzzyGolfito; 3rd October 2015 at 14:43..
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGolfito View Post
Back in the day, I was 1st Eng on both the Caguas and Bayamon. What was El Faro under Navieras de Puerto Rico/PRIMMI?
El Faro was the former Puerto Rico, and was built back in 1975. She was presently being operated by Sea Star which, I believe, is part of TOTE. She was on the Jacksonville-San Juan run and supposedly sailed from Jacksonville sometime on Tuesday. I understand that she was supposed to have been somewhere around Crooked Island, in the Bahamas, when they lost contact with her.

I never sailed on this particular ship but I am familiar with the type from the old Bayamon and Fortaleza, although I never sailed for TOTE, so I have no idea what sort of standards they maintain on their ships. However, in this day and age I don't think there's any excuse for taking any ship into a hurricane, let alone a 40-year-old ship like this one. My first captain, a very wise guy who "came up through the hawse pipe" rather than graduating from an academy, told me something that I never forgot, and which a lot of the academy captains would do well to heed: "Your schedule is more flexible than your ship".

Last edited by Klaatu83; 3rd October 2015 at 14:51..
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:56

Forteleza and Puerto Rico were the original names under TTT (Transamerica Trailer Transport), then sold to PRIMMI (Puerto Rico Marine management Inc.)...where I served aboard all 3 as 1st Eng.....at least as far as I can remember...later I went to work for Lykes Bros., and was there almost until my retirement, as a Steam or Diesel C/E, did both....
Fuzz
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:53

Hello Folks,
I used to know these ships, they were single boiler 1500 Psi, Separately fired re-superheater steam plants, they had something like a 600 HP electric "Take Home Motor", powered by Diesel Generator. I don't know any current specifics, have not been aboard one of these since the late '80's!...if you want to get into specific recollections....ask! I enjoyed working on these ships....for PRIMMI...
Forgot to mention some stuff.....there are quite a few hydraulic big doors that allow access to the lower cargo levels, big enough, as well as manholes for access, to drive vehicles through, many different scenarios can be put forward....
I was also 2nd Engineer to a sister ship of "Poet", that also disappeared in the "Bermuda Triangle"...!
Fuzz

Last edited by FuzzyGolfito; 3rd October 2015 at 16:16..
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:07

The tracker has the ship as southbound for San Juan.. must have been in loaded condition. I wonder how much cargo would they lift on that normal voyage.

This storm has been sitting in this place for almost four days. Had no business trying to outrun a hurricane. I hope her 40 year age was not a factor.

Pity the crew. I hope they are found and safe.. somewhere.
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:59
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

On last report, 2 hours ago,US Coastguard to NBC News, on last contact she had lost propulsion and had a 15 degree list...not good news.........

geoff
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:37
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2010

Matson had two of these ships in service on the West Coast which I piloted on numerous occasions. They were fine vessels that had been originally about 700 feet long and were jumboized to about 800 foot length. Nonetheless, I understand that this ship was built in 1975. This brings three questions to bear:

1. Why is a ship that is 40 years old still in service? I understand that the answer lies in the Jones Act, but at some point a vessel must be retired from service.
2. Why did she sail into a hurricane with the technology available today to locate and track these storms? These ships have a cruising speed in excess of 20 knots which gives them great flexibility in avoiding storms at sea. Klaatu's point regarding the ship's schedule being more flexible than the ship is well taken.
3. If Golfito is correct regarding a 600 HP electric motor for take home purpose and a single boiler, there is no way she could maneuver with that minimal horsepower in a hurricane.

I feel for the seamen and their families in this time of probable loss. However, these questions and others will have to be answered to determine potential changes to the regulations to safeguard life and limb.

Last edited by Wallace Slough; 3rd October 2015 at 17:56..
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:52

Wally..
If El Faro is indeed lost, I can't help but think of the parallels to another old US flagged ship that went down, Marine Electric.
Marine Electric was sent to sea in an unseaworthy condition, not saying El Faro is/was unseaworthy, as Marine Transport Lines was building a replacement vessel, the Energy Independence.
TOTE/Sea Star is also building replacement ships for the El Faro and El Yunque.
This is gut wrenching.
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:17
Active: 1973 - 2013

History of TOTE and how and when El Faro acquired. http://toteinc.com/about/history/
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:21

Got this from a past president of MEBA D-1

The company is Tote Marine. AMO. They got the ships from Matson who had gotten them from PRMMI. Matson ran them to Hawaii for a few years then sold them to Tote who put them in the Alaskan trade. A few years ago tote brought them back around for the Puerto Rican trade. Notice the Picture on the web it is sitting tied up in Baltimore with the Leigh cement silos in the background. I believe she was either the El Taino, or the Caugas, built in about 74 which makes her a good 40 years old. That company usually kept her moored in Baltimore and broke it out certain times of the year when cargo was heavy. They were good ships, well built with plenty of power, 28,000 hp if I remember correctly, they ran at 27 knots when new but I understand that tote ran them well below that because of the age of the equipment. From what I gather they lost power, took on water and had a 15 degree list. There is a lot of sail area particularly with a list. My guess is she broached, the wind pushed her over another 15 degrees and the broadside seas rolled her over. It probably happened sooner than later. Two comments. Every generation we loose a ship usually it is owned by a junk ship operator and probably should have been scraped years ago. The other is why the old man tried to sneak through the crooked Island passage instead of turning around and heading North East and putting out to sea to ride her out in deep water. Those passages are particularly nasty in a blow. That sea floor is littered with the bones of mariners going back to 1492 who didn't respect that fact.
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:36

I also knew a pair of engineer brothers whom's father went down on the Marine Electric! Marine Transport is another company that I worked for in my career.
Fuzz
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:37
Active: 1968 - 2004

My location
I saw El Faro on Monday as I crossed the Dame's Point bridge in Jacksonville. She sailed for San Juan the next day. It is reported that sometime on Thursday she communicated loss of propulsion to her owners. The storm caught up with her and we all know what happens when propulsion is gone.......You go broadside to the seas and these waves were topping 40 ft. I suspect she capsized and is gone. R.I.P.
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:41

Fuzzy..
She was the Puerto Rico.
They were/are good, well built, powerful ships. Think I sailed in five of them for PRMMI.
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:50

OK, which one was she when she was with PRIMMI...El Taino, was another TTT name......I know that I was 1st Eng years ago, just wanna know which one it was.....I think that Forteleza became Bayamon.....
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

She was Northern Lights at one time..

geoff
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:38

I was on the "S/S MooreMac Trade" that became the "S/S Northern Lights", a very long time ago....but still do not know the original, and later name of this vessel when it was operated by PRIMMI...
Fuzz
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:40
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvanuz View Post
A Class 4 hurricane is no room for any size ship.
I am well aware of that thank you..
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:42

Close room? In that area... not much to go anywhere unless you can get over and into the Atlantic.

A few photos.... a lot of openings on the shell side? How was she closed up?

Twin screws or single?

Stephen