BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew Lists - Ships Nostalgia
12:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew Lists

User Tag List

Old 22nd July 2015, 07:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew Lists

BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew lists

I have a large selection of original BP Fleet News from the original one issued as Volume 1 #1 June 1960, through to present day Fleet Fax; in some later issues I do not have the Fleet Fax, only the crew list section.

The most comprehensive sections of CREW LISTS are;

1960/late1964, then Aug 1969 through to November 1985

• BP Fleet News crew lists, June 1960/Jan 1965, 45 copies
• BP Fleet News crew lists, Aug 1969/ Nov 1985, almost 200 copies. This is a very comprehensive coverage
• Fleet Fax crew lists Nov 1994/ April 1999, 40 copies
• Fleet Fax crew lists 2000/2008, 8 copies. Very few of early personnel still sailing in these, but still some!
• BP Fleet News copies came in two sizes, heavy gauge paper apprx 4 pages, coloured in about A4 size, 31 Copies. These with only crew lists of ships leaving dry-dock( 1960/64)
• From mid 60’s the Fleet News changed to the large ‘flimsie’ style, with crew lists on rear two pages , 88 copies ( 1969/84)
• Then just about the time of Agency Manning in 1985 reverted back to small page B& W issues.

If anyone privately requests information on a specific ship I will willingly provide whatever information I may have direct to them
However I am seeing more large threads appearing in BPS section with photographs and unsure names, with the information I have at times it is relatively easy to provide a person’s name or the full complement of the ship at that particular time, again I am quite willing to do that, but not too sure whether I should!

HOWEVER I personally do not use a ‘Nome de plume’, but many of you do, how important is that secret to you? I would never intend to deliberately divulge your identity but once the crew list is available it can be very easy to see who is who.

The collection I have was not intended to just be kept for my personal use and has been very useful bringing back some old lost memories for many others I know and we ‘aint young people anymore, but that is usually privately done and this format is public (not good!).

It is possible that I will donate my entire collection to BP Archives, then none of that info will ever again appear in BPS Shipsnostalgia.

So maybe I should NEVER print an original crew list copy as it is not right, maybe I should carry on making individual comments for unknown/forgotten names and leave it at that?

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

BTW I am always on the outlook for more copies, if you have any and are willing to pass them on send me an email (see my profile)
Old 26th July 2015, 18:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988

Hi Graham,
I've been thinking this through since you posted. I think it would be a great pity if the information you have collected ended up in the BP Archive as it would probably never see the light of day again.

I know from conversations elsewhere that BP are resistant to hosting an on line archive, but you, more than most, recognise the interest in who was where and when information and have filled a valuable role in providing information to private enquiries and on this site and you deserve a vote of thanks for the time you put into this task.

I suspect we differ somewhat in the need to preserve anonymity. I am one of many on this site who use a nomme de plume, but certainly in my case it was done without thinking and if I were to sign up again I would use my real name and I have requested users of GTZX.org.uk to use their own name as it makes a lot more sense on sites such as these.

Many users of the GTZX site have completed the details of their sea service for others to see.

My vote would be for this information to be made available online, although I understand that you might not agree and I respect that.
It would certainly be a big job transcribing it. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Chris

R903573
Old 27th July 2015, 02:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1975

crew list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post

I have a large selection of original BP Fleet News from the original one issued as Volume 1 #1 June 1960, through to present day Fleet Fax; in some later issues I do not have the Fleet Fax, only the crew list section.

• BP Fleet News crew lists, Aug 1969/ Nov 1985, almost 200 copies. This is a very comprehensive coverage
• Fleet Fax crew lists 2000/2008, 8 copies. Very few of early personnel still sailing in these, but still some!
• BP Fleet News copies came in two sizes, heavy gauge paper apprx 4 pages, coloured in about A4 size, 31 Copies. These with only crew lists of ships leaving dry-dock( 1960/64)
• From mid 60’s the Fleet News changed to the large ‘flimsie’ style, with crew lists on rear two pages , 88 copies ( 1969/84)
• Then just about the time of Agency Manning in 1985 reverted back to small page B& W issues.

If anyone privately requests information on a specific ship I will willingly provide whatever information I may have direct to them
However I am seeing more large threads appearing in BPS section with photographs and unsure names, with the information I have at times it is relatively easy to provide a person’s name or the full complement of the ship at that particular time, again I am quite willing to do that, but not too sure whether I should!

HOWEVER I personally do not use a ‘Nome de plume’, but many of you do, how important is that secret to you? I would never intend to deliberately divulge your identity but once the crew list is available it can be very easy to see who is who.

The collection I have was not intended to just be kept for my personal use and has been very useful bringing back some old lost memories for many others I know and we ‘aint young people anymore, but that is usually privately done and this format is public (not good!).

It is possible that I will donate my entire collection to BP Archives, then none of that info will ever again appear in BPS Shipsnostalgia.

So maybe I should NEVER print an original crew list copy as it is not right, maybe I should carry on making individual comments for unknown/forgotten names and leave it at that?

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

BTW I am always on the outlook for more copies, if you have any and are willing to pass them on send me an email (see my profile)
Hi Graham, i personally don't feel its wrong to see crew lists of any vessels, how many times have you sailed with someone and cant think of his or her name, i sailed on the British Beacon 29-03-66 and would love to see the crew list just to bring back old memories i am still in contact with one of the crew after all the site is called ships nostalgia
Old 27th July 2015, 04:38
Active: 1952 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH View Post
Hi Graham, i personally don't feel its wrong to see crew lists of any vessels, how many times have you sailed with someone and cant think of his or her name, i sailed on the British Beacon 29-03-66 and would love to see the crew list just to bring back old memories i am still in contact with one of the crew after all the site is called ships nostalgia
Graham and ChasH. Agree. I was x3rd Engineer on the Beacon, 9-12/1961, and on the Sailor, 6-9/1961, and the Talent,11/1960 to 6/1961. I am still in contact with Geoff Goodsbody the 3/E of the Talent, so I would love to view the Crew List of the Talent in that period.
Old 27th July 2015, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Campbell View Post
Graham and ChasH. Agree. I was x3rd Engineer on the Beacon, 9-12/1961, and on the Sailor, 6-9/1961, and the Talent,11/1960 to 6/1961. I am still in contact with Geoff Goodsbody the 3/E of the Talent, so I would love to view the Crew List of the Talent in that period.
David ,

I have been in touch with you since 2008, you provided me with your BP seatime details years ago. I will willingly provide you with any relevant crew lists that I have and will contact you direct on that matter.
That is is still no reason for me to put all and sundry lists up on SN

Graham
Old 27th July 2015, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH View Post
Chas,

Unfortunately I have only one crew list for all of 1966, Jan to early March the Beacon is not included.
I do know 9 persons who were on the Beacon in 1966

Graham
Old 29th July 2015, 18:47
Active: 1974 - 2013

Hi I believe I have nearly all the Fleet News from when I joined BP in 1974 until the cull in 1986 they are up in my loft so I would have to check.

Campbell
Old 30th July 2015, 19:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Graham,
Have you scanned all the Fleet News and Crew Lists? If not, it strikes me this would be a good idea to protect them for posterity and if BP remains uninterested then perhaps GTZX could host such scanned items?

I am, as past readers may recall, paranoid about what our kids will put in the trash after we old codgers are gone.

nina
Old 31st July 2015, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Graham,
Have you scanned all the Fleet News and Crew Lists? If not, it strikes me this would be a good idea to protect them for posterity and if BP remains uninterested then perhaps GTZX could host such scanned items?

I am, as past readers may recall, paranoid about what our kids will put in the trash after we old codgers are gone.

nina
Nina,
I am also very paranoid about my collection,I have a very good connection with BP Archives and at the moment am quite comfortable with the thought of them taking it all. In some cases ALL has to be precisely defined.

I have scanned all Ships Movements/Crew lists and they are all on my computer (also copied on an external hard drive) and have a hard copy of them all, which I refer to all the time.
I have not scanned all pages of the original issues of Fleet News.

Graham
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:57

I'm happy to upload any files to gtzx.org.uk providing there aren't any copyright issues and the info is both appropriate and relevant.

I'm still ploughing through the 1500 or so images BillH provided, weeding out duplicates adding notes any other info where necessary. It has turned into a bigger job than I anticipated? Nothing new there.

Campbell - did you find the copies of Fleet News in your attic. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest if we could get them scanned and uploaded but I'm not sure if they are copyrighted or not. What do you think? If memory serves they are much bigger than A4 so a big scanner would be needed.

Chris

R903573
Old 10th August 2015, 15:28

Quote:

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

I look forward to coming on this site and feel it would be a crying shame if you did not contribute Graham. Yes ,some people are anonymous which is a shame to me . I have no worries about anyone knowing about me or where I come from, and feel being anonymous is a shame also . What are they frightened of ,Big Brother ,surely not. Good or bad ,get it out there .
Keep the good work up Graham as I have often thanked you for on here .
Old 10th August 2015, 16:34
Active: 1968 - 1986

I said to Graham go ahead and print the names, many have worked out who I am anway from the pictures I have posted, just so long as I don't owe anyone any money.

Would be nice to digitise all the Fleet News people have, anyone got a large format scanner...... I have no idea at all how much it would cost to get it done, if it is not out of this world we could have a whip round with those who contribute getting a DVD or USB stick of the copy.

Phill

Last edited by twogrumpy; 10th August 2015 at 16:44..
Old 10th August 2015, 18:36
user
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
I said to Graham go ahead and print the names, many have worked out who I am anway from the pictures I have posted, just so long as I don't owe anyone any money.

Would be nice to digitise all the Fleet News people have, anyone got a large format scanner...... I have no idea at all how much it would cost to get it done, if it is not out of this world we could have a whip round with those who contribute getting a DVD or USB stick of the copy.

Phill
Quite agree Phil. I would love to have a DVD of all the Newsletters & would be quite willing to contribute to the cost of production.
I know Graham also has a stack of Apprentices' Newsletters which I would also like to see digitalised. However, it is a hell of a lot of work but surely there must be a company in Graham's country of residence that would be prepared to quote for the work.
Do BP's archives at Warwick University already have some of these digitalised?
Get Two Whistle Joe (remember him?) on the case!
Old 10th August 2015, 19:16

It would be a lot of work to expect one person to do, perhaps we could set some yoof to work in a hut feeding him pizza and Red Bull and call it an apprenticeship.
Old 17th October 2015, 22:23

Hi Graham, I was with BP from 1977 to 1985 and would love to have copies (digital - pdf or jpeg) of the fleet news if possible as I was not sensible enough to realise then that 35 years later, it would be nice to remember the past. I have access to professional high speed scanners with OCR so could produce searcheable PDF, and would certainly be happy to spend the time putting them through. I am unsure as to the data protection, but all of these were in public domain at the time so I don't believe that they would be subject to any DP issues.
Talk soon,
Kirk Laker
(You may find me in some of the issues that you have!)
Old 28th October 2015, 14:05
Active: 1974 - 2013

Fleet news

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
I'm happy to upload any files to gtzx.org.uk providing there aren't any copyright issues and the info is both appropriate and relevant.

I'm still ploughing through the 1500 or so images BillH provided, weeding out duplicates adding notes any other info where necessary. It has turned into a bigger job than I anticipated? Nothing new there.

Campbell - did you find the copies of Fleet News in your attic. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest if we could get them scanned and uploaded but I'm not sure if they are copyrighted or not. What do you think? If memory serves they are much bigger than A4 so a big scanner would be needed.
Hi Chris,

If we can arrange for anyone to scan the copies I have I am more than willing to let them be used as long as I can have them back.
Campbell
Old 28th October 2015, 17:16

See my post #14
Old 28th October 2015, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestyx View Post
Hi Graham, I was with BP from 1977 to 1985 and would love to have copies (digital - pdf or jpeg) of the fleet news if possible as I was not sensible enough to realise then that 35 years later, it would be nice to remember the past. I have access to professional high speed scanners with OCR so could produce searcheable PDF, and would certainly be happy to spend the time putting them through. I am unsure as to the data protection, but all of these were in public domain at the time so I don't believe that they would be subject to any DP issues.
Talk soon,
Kirk Laker
(You may find me in some of the issues that you have!)
Hi Kirk,

It took me a while but I realised you are KA Laker ex 1976 (?) BP Engineering Cadet, I have sent you an Shipsnostalgia Private message.
Last year I met Stuart Wills, an ex EC with you on the Ranger in 1979, he is now an Eng Supt with BC Ferries

You can contact me through my SN profile

Graham
Old 30th October 2015, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell47 View Post
Hi Chris,

If we can arrange for anyone to scan the copies I have I am more than willing to let them be used as long as I can have them back.
Campbell
Hi Campbell,
I'll make a few enquiries about scanning but it would be helpful to know the size of the sheets, the number of sheets per copy and the number of copies. Can you let me have this information please.

I think it will be a big job, probably requiring the services of Prontaprint or similar, so need to get some idea of cost. Also need to consider carriage costs. I'm sure we can come up with a workable solution.

I quite understand that you would want the originals back, maybe we could arrange for scanning near you, would save on carriage too.

Chris

R903573
Old 30th October 2015, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
I look forward to coming on this site and feel it would be a crying shame if you did not contribute Graham. Yes ,some people are anonymous which is a shame to me . I have no worries about anyone knowing about me or where I come from, and feel being anonymous is a shame also . What are they frightened of ,Big Brother ,surely not. Good or bad ,get it out there .
Keep the good work up Graham as I have often thanked you for on here .
In my case it is not so much being anonymous as protecting myself from any scammers. It is similar to posting a picture of your care with the plates showing. It is an open invitation to cloning and others can,and have, used the info to put false plates on the same model with original owner getting parking fines etc.

A quick look at my avatar and personal details soon reveals who I am, if you knew me beforehand.

Nothing to hide, just cautious.
Old 30th October 2015, 17:36

Doing a quick count on this page there are more flying a flag of convenience than those coming clean on their ID.

Vasco has it about right I believe.
Old 10th December 2015, 12:28
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1985

Quote:

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

Hello Graham,
I have just joined and not sure of my way around this site yet ! I am looking for a crew list and date of when I first Joined BP as R/O in Palermo. The vessel was the BRITISH VALOUR call sign MTWM, I was junior sparks. The senior sparks was E.J Keane from Dundalk Ire. I joined BP in 68/69 ..?. My first ship on my own was the British Merlin call sign GXNA . Any information would be a great help. I am P F. Davies , there was another Davies ... P. E. Davies. . It seems to be a very good site . Many thanks

Last edited by R58484956; 11th December 2015 at 16:48.. Reason: e mail deleted as per site policy, contact thru PM
Old 10th December 2015, 17:28

Peter,

We were briefly in touch 2008, I will be in touch asap. Ships nostalgia moderators will delete your email address as it is not 'safe' to have it shown.

It is relatively easy to delete it yourself. You can be contacted using a SN private message

Graham

Last edited by Graham Wallace; 10th December 2015 at 17:34..
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:27

Hi

I have just read this post with interest, I have thought for a while that it would be good if the fleet news and crew lists were available on line, I can't see there being a data protection issue as it is just a list of names.

Did anything come of this

Ps I served with BP between 81 & 86

Kev Q
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:12
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
Hi

I have just read this post with interest, I have thought for a while that it would be good if the fleet news and crew lists were available on line, I can't see there being a data protection issue as it is just a list of names.

Did anything come of this

Ps I served with BP between 81 & 86

Kev Q
They are available for most of that period on www.gtzx.org. You will probably need to register in order to view them. Lots of other BP Shipping info there as well.