ss GOTHIC Royal Tour - Ships Nostalgia
07:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ss GOTHIC Royal Tour

User Tag List

Old 17th January 2017, 14:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
ss GOTHIC Royal Tour

Photographs and short video including close up shot of Capt. David Aitchison from gCaptain's Maritime Monday. See http://gcaptain.com/maritime-monday-jan-16-2017.
A new variation of 'Shaw Savile' precedes the correct spelling Shaw Savill. Makes a change from the usual Saville!

Last edited by alaric; 17th January 2017 at 15:13..
Old 13th April 2017, 18:48

My location
The Queens cabin lights from the Gothic when on tour were requested by her and are fitted in her room on the Britannia and can be seen at Leith where she is tied up and a great visit.
GWb
Old 16th April 2017, 14:22

Smile Royal Tour.

Well done Alaric. Watched all of it,it was 10 years later that I got to Kiwi on the Iberic and got to know the great people of New Zealand and the great country that it is. All fantastic memories for me, never had a bad time there. All best Norm. (Trunch).
Old 16th April 2017, 15:36
ELDER MEMBER

Was in NUKU,ALOFA when the Gothic brought the Queen and prince philip in.
We had to leave the quay so that the royal barge could bring the royal party ashore for the garden party at Queen Salotis palace.

my memory is getting a bit dim now ,but not too sure if a seaplane came in to take the royals on to kiwi land,
jim
Old 16th April 2017, 15:44

By Gothic, Kingston to Aden, apart from the overland of Australia.

Here is a chart of the complete tour.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royaltourmap.jpg (73.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 17th April 2017, 10:14
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Post #4.
Hello Trunch.
Have just watched 'Flight of the White Heron', a cinamascope colour film of the Royal Tour on Utube. It includes a few brief shots of Gothic, but more of P&Os
ss Maloja which took the Cinamascope gear and crew to Fiji via Suez and Aden.
I last saw this film in the 1960s, but the version I remember which was screened every trip on every Shaw Savill ship was in my memory shorter, 4 x3 format and black and white.
You, as projectionist must have seen it even more times than I did Trunch. What do you remember of the White Heron?
Incidentally, you mention that you sailed in Iberic. I have recently bought Shaw Savill Chairman Basil Sanderson's autobiography 'Ships and Sealing Wax' from Amazon, the flyleaf is stamped 'IBERIC. RETURN TO MASTER AT END OF VOYAGE', I will ignore that and keep the book. An interesting read from a great leader.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
The Queens cabin lights from the Gothic when on tour were requested by her and are fitted in her room on the Britannia and can be seen at Leith where she is tied up and a great visit.
GWb
Don't know if these are the same cabin lights but there are a heap of (my) interior photos of HM's cabin and other parts of Britannia at Leith on Maritimequest at:

http://www.maritimequest.com/yatchs/...nia_page_4.htm

Just in case anyone is interested.

Britannia is well worth a visit for anyone in Leith.

Geoff (YM)
Old 27th May 2017, 02:20
Active: 1967 - 1971

Trunch did you ever sail on Shaw Saville's Delphic 1969/1971 ?as 4 engineer with Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Best View Post
Well done Alaric. Watched all of it,it was 10 years later that I got to Kiwi on the Iberic and got to know the great people of New Zealand and the great country that it is. All fantastic memories for me, never had a bad time there. All best Norm. (Trunch).
Trunch did you ever sail on Shaw Saville's Delphic around 1969/1971 as a fourth engineer with junior engineers called Wattie Haigh and Brian Wright to name a few?
Old 27th May 2017, 10:00

Does anybody remember what was hanging up in the engineers bar on Gothic, lets just say it was varnished
Old 5th June 2017, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wright View Post
Trunch did you ever sail on Shaw Saville's Delphic around 1969/1971 as a fourth engineer with junior engineers called Wattie Haigh and Brian Wright to name a few?
Hi Brian. I sent a reply to you when you quoted me but it seems that you never received it. I was on Delphic at that time relieving around the coast. I am sorry but I cant remember you or Wattie. The chief was Fred Norden, A good guy but had a few problems, 2nd was Ed Fenwick lives in Brisbain and still a great friend of mine, 3rd cant remember his name just joined the company,5th was Brian Hamill Irish lad great guy. Cant remember the freezers or the leckies. It was good to hear from you Brian you must have been there to remember me. Allways nice to keep in touch with old shipmates. All very best to you and yours. Norm. (Trunch).
Old 5th June 2017, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Does anybody remember what was hanging up in the engineers bar on Gothic, lets just say it was varnished
I was in Icenic in 1977 and heard about what had been varnished and was on display on one of the other ship.

I wonder who owns this piece of sh*te?

Stephen
Old 28th October 2017, 22:02
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Don Pilgrim, the man on the extreme right of the attached photo, was the Marconi Marine technician from our Southampton depot who sailed on the Gothic for the Royal Tour of Australia and New Zealand. It had been decided that the normal complement of Radio Officers aboard the vessel would have enough to do managing the communications, so that that additional technical expertise was required to look after all the additional communications equipment fitted aboard the vessel. Don was the man selected.

At the end of the voyage, all the extra gear was removed and Don went back to his normal job at the depot, remaining there until the end of his career with the company. He is now 91 years old and is shown at a recent outing with a group of his former Southampton depot colleagues and their wives.

Shown (left to right) are: John Vidal, Bob Maskell, Mel Plaw, Hugh Slavin and, of course, Don Pilgrim.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 19th March 2018, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
has anyone still got the bottles of beer given to the crew. i have one still unopened with the commemoration label attached which belonged to my father Con Scully