HMS Patricia - Ships Nostalgia
11:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Patricia

User Tag List

Old 3rd February 2019, 22:14

Question HMS Patricia

Hi all,
Forgive me for possibly posting this question in the wrong area or forum but completely new to this site.
My grandad used to be on the HMS Patricia and often used to go to sea from Harwich, this wouldíve been 1960ís through to 1980ís roughly, his name was Reginald Chapman? Any information would b3 helpful as Iím looking at starting a family tree.
Thanks Mark Chambers.
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chambers View Post
Hi all,
Forgive me for possibly posting this question in the wrong area or forum but completely new to this site.
My grandad used to be on the HMS Patricia and often used to go to sea from Harwich, this would’ve been 1960’s through to 1980’s roughly, his name was Reginald Chapman? Any information would b3 helpful as I’m looking at starting a family tree.
Thanks Mark Chambers.
Patricia was actually THV Patricia. That is a Trinity House Vessel. The oranisation looks after lighthouses light buoys and wreck marking in English waters. Have a look at Trinity Houses web site for much more information. Just enter Trinity House on Google. Their main operating base is in Harwich, withnheadquarters at Tower Hill in London.

Howard

Last edited by howardang; 3rd February 2019 at 23:51..
Old 4th February 2019, 08:33

Many thanks, I looked on Trinity www a while ago and I think they have a new Patricia, I will take another look.
Regards
Mark
Old 4th February 2019, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chambers View Post
Many thanks, I looked on Trinity www a while ago and I think they have a new Patricia, I will take another look.
Regards
Mark
Hello Mark,

Yes, there is a new Patricia. The one you are interested in was sold in the 1980's, and here is a photo of her. If you google THV Patricia and look on images you will see the new one together with this picture, and there are also photos on this forum - look in the gallery using the search function.

Howard

Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesDQYPD0DQ.jpg (9.6 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by howardang; 4th February 2019 at 11:29..
Old 5th February 2019, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardang View Post
Hello Mark,

Yes, there is a new Patricia. The one you are interested in was sold in the 1980's, and here is a photo of her. If you google THV Patricia and look on images you will see the new one together with this picture, and there are also photos on this forum - look in the gallery using the search function.

Howard

Howard
Howard, that photo is of the new "Patricia" - they have accommodation for 6 passengers and you can do trips on her. Sounds quite tempting actually but a bit pricy.

The old "Patricia" - plenty of photos around - was the Trinity House flagship and used to spend half the year carting the Elder Brethren of Trinity House around on their annual inspection of English lighthouses, lightships, buoys, etc.

John T
Old 5th February 2019, 15:42

[QUOTE=trotterdotpom;2967219]Howard, that photo is of the new "Patricia" - they have accommodation for 6 passengers and you can do trips on her. Sounds quite tempting actually but a bit pricy.

The old "Patricia" - plenty of photos around - was the Trinity House flagship and used to spend half the year carting the Elder Brethren of Trinity House around onHoward their annual inspection of English lighthouses, lightships, buoys, etc.

John T[/QUOTE

Mark, the original poster, mentioned that his relative served on Patricia in the 1960's to the 1980's and the photo I posted was the Patricia which was built in the 1930's and eventually sold in 1982, so it fits right into the correct timescale. It became a nightclub somewhere in Scandinavia, and was replaced by the modern Patricia which, as you mention, in addition to her Trinity House Duties, takes passengers during her trips around the UK coast. She was built in 1982 to replace the vessel shown in the photo.

Regards

Last edited by howardang; 5th February 2019 at 16:03.. Reason: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=mcQb7Hi%2f&id=4076A7210411E6FC20EF1A68C10E93830EBF9B15&thid=OIP.mcQb7Hi
Old 6th February 2019, 02:36

Sorry Howard, that isn't the old TH Yacht Patricia - in fact I'm not even sure if she's the new "Patricia".

Here is a photo of the Patricia which finished in 1983. I Googled her up and she is now supposed to be a restaurant in Bremerhaven, registered in Netherlands Antilles. Tried to google the restaurant but got not result.

John T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patricia.jpg (81.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 6th February 2019, 09:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
HMS Patricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Sorry Howard, that isn't the old TH Yacht Patricia - in fact I'm not even sure if she's the new "Patricia".

Here is a photo of the Patricia which finished in 1983. I Googled her up and she is now supposed to be a restaurant in Bremerhaven, registered in Netherlands Antilles. Tried to google the restaurant but got not result.

John T
The photograph posted #4 by Howard is the new Patricia. There is no confusion there. Just the way the post was worded.
Old 6th February 2019, 19:42
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galle...ricia-/cat/518

This is the "new" Patricia, seen in Dartmouth.