Blank Screen Problem - Ships Nostalgia
14:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blank Screen Problem

User Tag List

Old 21st February 2019, 11:47

Blank Screen Problem

I'm having to use my local library to get on line because my own PC is "broken". When I flash it up the power light comes on as well as the internal light. The monitor screen is black/grey and the DELL logo appears for about one second then vanishes. On the top left hand corner of the blank black screen a small white bar type Icon flashes continuously.

I've checked all connections and tried the usual switched it on and off numerous times, all to no avail, any suggestions?
Old 21st February 2019, 12:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
How old is your pc? Is it a tower or lap-top, if a tower how old monitor?
Old 21st February 2019, 19:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

If there is " small white bar" flashing i would suggest that it is your monitor playing up. If you can hear the fan and hard drive spinning on the computer I would investigate the monitor before delving into the box. Also check all connections to and from monitor.

Process of elimination first as you may be jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Let us know how you get on.

BW

J
Old 21st February 2019, 21:34

The continuously flashing white bar t/l corner of screen indicates the pc or laptop is still trying to boot up..
Try the following and let us know if the pc comes to life.
From switch on intermittently press F2 and if nothing try the same again with F12 and if still nothing try again with F8 though I doubt the last will work if there is no action with the first two..
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:47

ok, thanks for all the advice.I'll have a go when I get home. At the moment I'm using my sisters lap top- they do come in handy some times- I mean sisters.

It is a tower about 5 years old.
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:16

Sorry I've tried all the suggestions but none seem to work. I'll try on line to find a site which may help
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Was there any pre warning of disaster ?

Is the hard drive spinning?

If the suggestions above have failed then I suggest you plan for a new computer or hard drive.

Dell branded gear is top quality and you should be getting a lot more service from a 5 year old m/c. I have a 10 year old Dell Optiplex 940 running W10 among others.

Bob Clay (a s/n member) is a good resource for info on computer issues.

BW

J
Old 23rd February 2019, 15:06

A functional pc/laptop motherboard without any peripheral drives should at switcch give screen presentation from its built in bios (basic input output system).
F2 function mentioned previously enables on-screen bios to make personal changes and the F12 function enables the boot menu for samed generally ly defaulted at A (floppy) drive CD drive and HDD.
On the limited information given there's a possibility the motherboard is faulty.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:55

My location
Try plugging it into your TV instead of the monitor that will atleast eliminated one thing.
Old 1st March 2019, 00:37

Is it a laptop or a tower?.

If it is a tower take a photograph of the internals and the cable connections. disconnect all cables, open it up, remove all the components carefully, replace them carefully ensuring all the connections are tight, reconnect all the cables flash it up and see if it is working.

Memory modules and PCI cards creep out of their sockets over time and lose their connections.

If it is a laptop, do the above, removing and replacing the memory and the hard drive, very carefully.
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/
Old 1st March 2019, 11:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by double acting View Post
I'm having to use my local library to get on line because my own PC is "broken". When I flash it up the power light comes on as well as the internal light. The monitor screen is black/grey and the DELL logo appears for about one second then vanishes. On the top left hand corner of the blank black screen a small white bar type Icon flashes continuously.

I've checked all connections and tried the usual switched it on and off numerous times, all to no avail, any suggestions?
I have suffered this problem over the past couple of years. Initially, I tried everything, even going to the garage, getting a four-pound club hammer out of my car boot, sitting in front of my laptop and trying to remember some of the naughty words I'd learned at sea, to hurl at it while I beat the crap out of the screen - when the phone rang...
Gerry said he was coming to pick me up for a well-earned trip to the local. I said, "I've got to fix this bloody laptop black screen thingy first."
"Just hold the power button down, mate - it'll fix itself in about a half minute. See ya in five!!"
... and that folks is how I have learned to retain my sanity every few months!!

Cheers,

Taff
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
I have suffered this problem over the past couple of years. Initially, I tried everything, even going to the garage, getting a four-pound club hammer out of my car boot, sitting in front of my laptop and trying to remember some of the naughty words I'd learned at sea, to hurl at it while I beat the crap out of the screen - when the phone rang...
Gerry said he was coming to pick me up for a well-earned trip to the local. I said, "I've got to fix this bloody laptop black screen thingy first."
"Just hold the power button down, mate - it'll fix itself in about a half minute. See ya in five!!"
... and that folks is how I have learned to retain my sanity every few months!!

Cheers,

Taff
Welcome back Taff.
It's been a long time since you awarded me the title of 'Stupid Git' over some computer problem.
I don't remember exactly what I did to get that award but have no doubt that it was well deserved.

Geoff (YM)