Stupid question or stupid statement - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Stupid question or stupid statement

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 8th February 2019, 21:03
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 771
We seemed to clear it but the bosun was standing by with a pot of paint and a brush just in case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forthb 001.jpg (244.4 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 8th February 2019, 21:14
Barrie Youde Barrie Youde is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,917
#26

Brilliant!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 8th February 2019, 21:24
kewl dude's Avatar
kewl dude kewl dude is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,580
HAL Captain Albert Schoonderbeek posted these two pictures of the Prinsendam folding mast on his blog:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/albert/

Captain Albert has been on vacation since just before Christmas but is due back any day now.

Attached:

20150406-The Prinsendam April 2014-E.jpg (71.6 KB)
DSC04442-20180605-E.jpg (70.1 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150406-The Prinsendam April 2014-E.jpg (71.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04442-20180605-E.jpg (70.1 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 8th February 2019, 21:36
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,549
Laurentic or Zeelandic?

Don't recognise the bridge!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 9th February 2019, 15:30
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Laurentic or Zeelandic?

Don't recognise the bridge!
Zealandic. The Firth of Forth Railway bridge, heading for Grangemouth. Originally for Leith which was strike-bound.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 15th February 2019, 00:48
Victor J. Croasdale Victor J. Croasdale is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1981
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharrison2002 View Post
hmmmm - HMS Caledonia was actually built for the White Star line as Majestic before being purchased as Royal Navy training ship So in a way you are both right and wrong
Not quite.
RMS Majestic was built by Blohm and Voss as the SS Bismarck for Hamburg-America Line, Launch date 20 June 1914 and was the world's largest ship until the SS Normandie in 1935

Awarded to Great Britain in 1920 as reparation for the sinking of HMHS Britannic formerly RMS Britannic sister ship to the Titanic. Sold to White Star who renamed her RMS Majestic.

Sold to Thos. W Ward for scrap in 1936, but this was not possible as it was a war prize. So the admiralty gave Wards 40 old destroyers in exchange for the Majestic.

The Admiralty renamed her HMS Caledonia and she became and RN training ship. Caught fire and sank on Sept 29, 1939 raised for scrap in 1943.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19th February 2019, 10:19
david freeman david freeman is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,030
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J. Croasdale View Post
Not quite.
RMS Majestic was built by Blohm and Voss as the SS Bismarck for Hamburg-America Line, Launch date 20 June 1914 and was the world's largest ship until the SS Normandie in 1935

Awarded to Great Britain in 1920 as reparation for the sinking of HMHS Britannic formerly RMS Britannic sister ship to the Titanic. Sold to White Star who renamed her RMS Majestic.

Sold to Thos. W Ward for scrap in 1936, but this was not possible as it was a war prize. So the admiralty gave Wards 40 old destroyers in exchange for the Majestic.

The Admiralty renamed her HMS Caledonia and she became and RN training ship. Caught fire and sank on Sept 29, 1939 raised for scrap in 1943.
Hello, hello, I am a little confused, was not the sister ship to the Titanic- the Britannic sunk/torpedoed off the darndinels in wwi, and the replacement ship BRITANNIC which was sent down the Mersey in a send off in 1950's to the knackers yard, and she was the repatriation war trophy from Germany after ww1.
I am confused with your shaggy dog story above involving the name majestic.
The Britannic going down the Mersey in 1950's was I believe a motor ship, the majestic was a steam ship??
Your tail however I believe refers to the war time reparations of the Versie agreement [WWI], which I am ignorant off, ?? apologies

Last edited by david freeman; 19th February 2019 at 10:26.. Reason: engines
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 19th February 2019, 12:09
Duncan112's Avatar
Duncan112 Duncan112 is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
My location
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
There used to be a crane at Eastham that used to lift funnels of ships that were too high.itwas there fora while after it was ade redundant.another solution for masts were telescopic ones I believe.
This was a story I was told at college, seemingly a question that could be asked at Orals for both Engineers and Mates was:

"You are on a ship with telescopic masts and the line to raise them has parted at the secured end, what do you do?"

And the answer:

"Fill the lower tube with water and the upper section will rise enabling you to attach a new line"

Anyone confirm, or deny this?
__________________
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19th February 2019, 16:50
seaman38 seaman38 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
This was a story I was told at college, seemingly a question that could be asked at Orals for both Engineers and Mates was:

"You are on a ship with telescopic masts and the line to raise them has parted at the secured end, what do you do?"

And the answer:

"Fill the lower tube with water and the upper section will rise enabling you to attach a new line"

Anyone confirm, or deny this?
Yes I remember it well, but just as well he didn't ask 'now how do you empty the mast you have just flooded'
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 19th February 2019, 19:54
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Hello, hello, I am a little confused, was not the sister ship to the Titanic- the Britannic sunk/torpedoed off the darndinels in wwi, and the replacement ship BRITANNIC which was sent down the Mersey in a send off in 1950's to the knackers yard, and she was the repatriation war trophy from Germany after ww1.
I am confused with your shaggy dog story above involving the name majestic.
The Britannic going down the Mersey in 1950's was I believe a motor ship, the majestic was a steam ship??
Your tail however I believe refers to the war time reparations of the Versie agreement [WWI], which I am ignorant off, ?? apologies


You have most of the information, but not all of it!

BRITANNIC was sunk by mine. 1919, the unfinished BISMARCK (steamship) was handed over to British Government. 1921, the BISMARCK was sold to White Star Line. Completed 1922 and renamed as MAJESTIC. 1936 Laid up and then sold to the Admiralty and refitted as a training ship at Rosyth, HMS CALEDONIA. 1939, intended to rebuilt as troopship but was destroyed by fire and sank in shallow water. 1940 scrapping commenced.

Now here is the rest....

Harland & Wolff built a new ship for White Star Line... a MOTORSHIP and was renamed BRITANNIC, delivered 1930. 1939 to 1948 Trooping. December 1960 arrived at Inverkeithing for scrapping.

The last part for you. BRITANNIC (motorship) made her final departure was from.... Liverpool 16th December, 1960.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 19th February 2019, 19:57
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Zealandic. The Firth of Forth Railway bridge, heading for Grangemouth. Originally for Leith which was strike-bound.
Here was I trying to think somewhere in NZ!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 20th February 2019, 00:40
Victor J. Croasdale Victor J. Croasdale is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1981
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Hello, hello, I am a little confused, was not the sister ship to the Titanic- the Britannic sunk/torpedoed off the darndinels in wwi, and the replacement ship BRITANNIC which was sent down the Mersey in a send off in 1950's to the knackers yard, and she was the repatriation war trophy from Germany after ww1.
I am confused with your shaggy dog story above involving the name majestic.
The Britannic going down the Mersey in 1950's was I believe a motor ship, the majestic was a steam ship??
Your tail however I believe refers to the war time reparations of the Versie agreement [WWI], which I am ignorant off, ?? apologies
Stephen has given the details of the MV Britannic (Launched 6 August 1929 delivered to White Star 1930). It too was built by Harland and Wolff, with twin Diesel engines. It reused the name but was not a direct replacement for HMHS Britannic that was sunk by a mine in WWI
Note White Star was bought by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 20th February 2019, 01:07
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J. Croasdale View Post
Stephen has given the details of the MV Britannic (Launched 6 August 1929 delivered to White Star 1930). It too was built by Harland and Wolff, with twin Diesel engines. It reused the name but was not a direct replacement for HMHS Britannic that was sunk by a mine in WWI
Note White Star was bought by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.

All correct. White Star had three ships named BRITTANIC. The MAJESTIC was the 'replacement' for the sunk BRITANNIC.

White Star had been owned by International Maritime Mercantile IMM, or some spelling like that. IMM sold to Royal Mail and then merged with Cunard to became Cunard-White Star Line c. 1934.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20th February 2019, 04:04
Victor J. Croasdale Victor J. Croasdale is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1981
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
All correct. White Star had three ships named BRITTANIC. The MAJESTIC was the 'replacement' for the sunk BRITANNIC.

White Star had been owned by International Maritime Mercantile IMM, or some spelling like that. IMM sold to Royal Mail and then merged with Cunard to became Cunard-White Star Line c. 1934.

Stephen
IMM was the International Mercantile Marine founded by JP Morgan.
It owned White Star until it sold it to Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.
RMSC unraveled when its unprincipled principal owner, Lord Kylsant, went to jail for fraud in 1931. What was left merged with Cunard in 1934.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:31
waldziu's Avatar
waldziu waldziu is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1990
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
I understand that was a regular problem with the Manchester Ship Canal. Bridges so low you had to dismantle parts of the ship to pass through it. At least so I was told on this site.
In the early '70s I transited the Manchester Ship canal on HMS Dundas, we had the uppermost part of our mast removed in Pompey prior to our sailing. We also had a sailor up the mast with a broom handle to check the clearance on the Barton viaduct. Now every time I drive over I remember the time I sailed under.
__________________
O Lord above send down a dove with wings as sharp as razors. To cut the throats of them there blokes that sells bad beer to sailors.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 6th December 2019, 02:23
Phil Randall Phil Randall is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1972
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Thanks all.
I imagined that it would be something along the lines you have all suggested.
Nevertheless still a stupid statement in my view.
I will file it together with the suggestion by some stupid git here in Melbourne who proposed dredging the Yarra to increase bridge clearances a year or three ago.
Geoff
Not so stupid if you had adequate ballast tanks. Think outside the square!!.Phil R.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 6th December 2019, 03:39
Victor J. Croasdale Victor J. Croasdale is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1981
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldziu View Post
In the early '70s I transited the Manchester Ship canal on HMS Dundas, we had the uppermost part of our mast removed in Pompey prior to our sailing. We also had a sailor up the mast with a broom handle to check the clearance on the Barton viaduct. Now every time I drive over I remember the time I sailed under.
In the late 60s we were taken from school to visit a ship in Manchester Docks. Can't remember the name of it though.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 6th December 2019, 07:30
Tim Webb Tim Webb is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,361
Not sure I have seen this above. The aircraft carriers QE & POW were designed with a hinged mast to allow them to get to sea. I believe the section is approx 6 feet (or approx 2 metres in today's preferred measurements) in length. It obviously still a tense time for those concerned trusting all the measurement stacked up
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 6th December 2019, 14:45
Split Split is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
I understand that was a regular problem with the Manchester Ship Canal. Bridges so low you had to dismantle parts of the ship to pass through it. At least so I was told on this site.
Ah! A memory comes back to me from my life at sea. When I was 3rd mate on Woldingham Hill we discharged in Manchester, -53 or 54.

I cannot remember the details, so long ago, but we had to partially flood one of the forward holds to get the required draft This entailed removing the manhole cover of the double bottom. Muggins had to go down to check the pump suction, which entailed passing through manholes in the fore and afters inside the tank. A most disagreeable task, I can assure you! A sailor stood by the cover to make sure that no one came and shut me in, filling the tank before I came out. I made sure that it was someone who liked me!

Of course, the heavy lift derricks, secured to the masts, had to be lowered, as well.

Before we got to the bridge there was a trip wire that was suoposed to work, but just to make sure, I had to go up the mast and sight along the top of it to make sure that we were going to pass safely under the bridge, signalling this information to those on the ship's bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 6th December 2019, 14:48
OilJiver OilJiver is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2009
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 975
How long to climb down the mast Split…?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 6th December 2019, 15:09
Split Split is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJiver View Post
How long to climb down the mast Split…?
You're asking too much of an old man's memory! 65 years ago. Can hardly believe it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 6th December 2019, 15:17
OilJiver OilJiver is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2009
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 975
Well, I guess it wouldn’t have taken too long, if there was a wee bit error in your line of sight!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 6th December 2019, 19:09
Split Split is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJiver View Post
Well, I guess it wouldn’t have taken too long, if there was a wee bit error in your line of sight!
LOL Well, my sight was accurate and I'm still here!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 7th December 2019, 12:04
stein stein is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,912
One has to ask if a proper cost-benefit analysis were done. If the cost of raising those bridges would indeed prohibit removing the hindrance course towards Manchester.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 7th December 2019, 16:06
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,549
How much shipping comes up the waterway since the days of containers?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excuse The "stupid" Question Here But Need A Little Help HorseLatititudes Ship Research 7 14th June 2015 15:56
Stupid question about QM2 vitalyzator Cunard 23 12th May 2010 18:22
MP's expecting Defence Statement in Commons.. Gavin Gait News and Views from the Shipping World 108 10th July 2008 13:13



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.