HMS Queen Elizabeth's Captain sacked ! - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Queen Elizabeth's Captain sacked !

User Tag List

Old 21st May 2019, 11:43
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

I suppose they have provided a rail warrant? Or maybe they will allow him mileage on his own car.
Old 21st May 2019, 12:24

Hi
Just seen on a Newspaper on line they are sending him back to Scotland to bring the Ship to Portsmouth
Granty
Old 21st May 2019, 12:28

OK, say the Captain needs the car for official purposes and the ship is up at Rosyth for extended stay. That sounds fine. So he drives back to the ship and then he has to go home for the night. What? So he has to keep his own car alongside the ship and then home and back. Seems like not a lot of time and hassle. Use the bloo*y official car. Who cares. Or is he expected to use the bus.. like Mr Corbyn? Surely Captain should have a few perks. He should be one. Big fuss over nothing.

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 21st May 2019 at 14:43..
Old 21st May 2019, 15:10

That is the key point Stephen, "Who cares". He's a senior RN officer, Captain of the most strategic vessel in the Navy. Get off his back and let him get on with his job!
Old 21st May 2019, 17:54
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Surely Captain should have a few perks.
In the modern day of things, no he shouldn't.

I remember the students at one College complained because we got a free cup of tea. That was the end of that! I had to sell my tea-tanker and lost so much money, I had been making selling the stuff round the county :>o
Old 21st May 2019, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
That is the key point Stephen, "Who cares". He's a senior RN officer, Captain of the most strategic vessel in the Navy. Get off his back and let him get on with his job!

I agree completely.

Are the ratings getting a rail warrant to travel home for a spot of short leave? Why not. Give the captain his car. If he does then it would be a chance that the Mate, Ch. Engineer and Ch Steward will get a ride as well... to the pub and back!

Stephen
Old 21st May 2019, 20:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1961

What a fuss about nothing, Jebel Ali pilots got a free car every 2 years and as much petrol as it could drink. Wifes also could use it.
In the Solomon Islands we had no official cars except for the Governor but when in the New Hebrides the Governors car was made available for my wife to do some shopping for the ship.
You would think the commander of the aircraft carrier would have been on call and therefore the car would be available just in case he was called back to the ship.
Old 22nd May 2019, 00:26

Suggest it would be impossible for the captain of the RN's biggest warship to be relieved of his command without the approval of the Fleet Commander, and the current Fleet Commander is Vice Admiral Jerry Kyd, the previous captain of HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH. Make of that what you will! Another factor is that, because of the absence of RN fixed wing carrier operation over the last few years, the number of officers suitably qualified and experienced for this command must be, to put it mildly, extremely limited.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977

Sacked for using a car is a bit on the harsh side don't you think ???
He has certainly rattled someone's cage or is he being stitched up either way the smell of a rat comes to mind.
Old 4th July 2019, 19:53
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

So he has finally had enough and Has quit his job ! think he should stick two fingers up to the Navy ! https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp
Old 4th July 2019, 20:52
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I believe that is exactly what he has done. No doubt the defence industry will be pleased to take him on board.

Should he not, however, be on gardening leave? Any Captain/Commodore's appointment now would be rather like asking Byng to do a quick run job to Gib. first.
Old 30th August 2019, 19:45

Looks like the new Captain is going to have his hands full https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp
Old 30th August 2019, 20:16
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Looks like the new Captain is going to have his hands full https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp
Worse than that, from the report it would appear that in the Royal Navy it is common on many ships to have a flood every week. Thank God I was in the Merchant Navy where in 6+ years on7 different ships I only experienced two floodings, both quite minor and the consequence of very heavy weather.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 30th August 2019, 23:07
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

Well, plenty of field days for the engineers then.
It makes you wonder if any of those tubs in the Andrew are fit to go to sea.
Roger.
Old 30th August 2019, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Worse than that, from the report it would appear that in the Royal Navy it is common on many ships to have a flood every week. Thank God I was in the Merchant Navy where in 6+ years on7 different ships I only experienced two floodings, both quite minor and the consequence of very heavy weather.
In my 30+ years in the merchant navy, I only experienced one! when the main condenser overboard valve failed! on a 450,000dwt ULCC. the nut holding the spindle had vibrated loose and came off and the valve slammed shut ! Only problem was that we were loading at Juyamah at the time. loading stopped and we had to be towed of the loading bouy as we couldn't use the main engine. Fortunately we were not to deep in the water, so we were able to lift the top of the valve and re-attach the spindle to the drive motor and re-open the valve. Then the arguments between the ship, head office and the Saudi authorities started ! Not a good trip
Old 30th August 2019, 23:40

I think the RN definition of a flood is any incident that allows fluid to escape in an uncontrolled manner, this includes the simple case of a 45G drum falling over. Steve Moorhouse was simply being realistic and trying to calm the usual scare mongers amongst the UK media. The QE is a superb ship, presently the world's only fifth generation aircraft carrier entering service (G Ford is still a Fourth generation ship). One cannot compare the operations of the Merchant navy against the Royal Navy, its like comparing chalk and cheese. Both are equally expert in their fields, yet both operate their vessels in necessarily different ways. As for the previous Captain, well there is clearly far more to the subject than revealed, note that only brief information from a MOD spokesperson has been released, nil from any other person(s) involved. As my old granny used to say - by the time you fully understand the problem, too much time has passed to change the outcome.

Last edited by FG86; 30th August 2019 at 23:41.. Reason: grammer