LACONIA - sinking September 1942 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
10:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

LACONIA - sinking September 1942

User Tag List

Old 8th January 2011, 12:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
So did I.
I find it helps to disengage reality drive when watching this type of drama then the facts don't get in the way of the enjoyment of it
I wholeheartedly agree, otherwise we'd never watch anything and enjoy it.

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 8th January 2011, 13:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winebuff View Post
Am I the only one who can not bring themselves to watch any ship disaster movie?
The Posiden Adventure turned my stomach, still not seen Titanic and no desire to.

Peter Smith
Hi Peter,
You are not alone. I also have not watched either of the Poseidon Adventure films, same reason. However, I did watch the Titanic one to please the missus. Dont worry, you will be asleep after half an hour from sheer boredom. I had my weekly phone call with my brother the next day. He has nowt to do with the sea, but he beat me asleep by some minutes, comparing what we could remember.
I do enjoy Lord's Night to Remember though.
Cheers Bob
Old 8th January 2011, 13:54

It was an interesting film regardless of errors, I thought the comment of the skippers about covering the cigarette whilst lighting it was a hoot when the ship was ablaze from bow to stern, but I,m glad Bleasedale came up with another entertaining piece of film, better than all the reality and sitcom rubbish. P.S. Seeing the German crew member sitting on temporary crapper hanging out over the water reminded me of Palm Line and Elders, they had the same over the stern for all the African Kroo boys to use, even at sea !

Last edited by Tom(Tucker)Kirby; 8th January 2011 at 14:36.. Reason: addendum
Old 8th January 2011, 14:33

My location
Think this is Bleasedale being entertaining rather than factual and as such I think it probably succeeded, mostly. I get yelled at by She who must be Obeyed if I start saying there's too much egg on that ones arm for reality, so I have learnt to keep quiet, but she says the red face betrays me.........
Old 8th January 2011, 14:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineAstrid View Post
I get yelled at by She who must be Obeyed if I start saying there's too much egg on that ones arm for reality, so I have learnt to keep quiet, but she says the red face betrays me.........
I had it slightly easier, I told the missus that Thursday and Friday there was a show about ships, so she said that she'd go to bed early!
Old 8th January 2011, 14:50

It may be that as the "Junior Third Officer" was himself a piece of fiction that it was also a deliberate move to make his mish mash of a Uniform a piece fiction in order not to offend former Merchant Navy Officer's.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 8th January 2011, 15:14

My location
The fundamentals of the story were there but the execution grated due to glaring anomalies as have been commented on by others.
The control room on the "submarine" was huge, when in reality there would barely have been enough room for two (thin) people to pass each other. The "British" uniforms looked like a collection of slop chest discards donated to Oxfam from several different countries' tramp steamers. The message about the J3/O's family would have been on a message form, not a piece of company headed note-paper etc. etc. etc.
The whole thing was OK if you accepted it as moving wallpaper and the reality is that the inaccuracies wouldn't have been noticed by 99.9999% of the viewers.
gwzm
Old 8th January 2011, 15:19

The German's were involved in the production/acting of/on the programme it was not a pure British piece of fiction based on a real event. You just have to take these production's with a pinch of sea salt.

Last edited by chadburn; 8th January 2011 at 15:23.. Reason: extra's
Old 8th January 2011, 15:56

As an addendum to the above in regard's to the comment's about the signal by gwzm. The taking of a message off the RN Sigs 266? form and placing it on a plain piece of paper to be hand delivered to an MN Bridge is not unusual as it may have been just part of a longer Classified signal taken by the RN Coder's (who were P.V. for Ultra). Placing it on a plain piece of paper de-classifies it and it can be disposed of in the normal way rather than take up space in the Classified Waste Bag which it would have to be if it was written on a Sigs 266? (even without the other information).

Last edited by chadburn; 8th January 2011 at 16:05..
Old 8th January 2011, 16:31

No matter what we think about the accuracy of the programme, what I find amazing and humbling is this event actually took place at all. Doneitz did what he could to help and the US bombed a vessel showing the Red Cross! The Allies just seemed to wish the whole episode would vanish. At his trial Doneitz was cleared of the 'Laconia Order'.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:06

Laconia The Survivors Story BBC 2 7.30pm

Don't forget chaps
Old 8th January 2011, 20:14
Active: 1943 - 1951

I was a wartime R/O and personal messages were NEVER sent.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Ian.
Old 9th January 2011, 11:05

Tried five minutes each night of the Sinking of the Laconia and like the majority wasnt impressed.
However las t night watched the factual documentary of the event and was very impressed by the very dignified and impessive way the survivors recalled their terrible experiences way back in 1942 and their first hand impressions of the German Captain & crew. Good wishes to them all
Stuart
France
Old 9th January 2011, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Ian, were you cleared for Ultra and and was your vessel manned by RN Encoder's? The reason why I ask is not to catch you out but to make the point that the Laconia was running as an independent under NCS control rather than a cargo ship in a Convoy under a Convoy Coomodore whose vessel would be the only one in the Convoy able to "Take" Ultra.

Old 9th January 2011, 13:52
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1956 - 1973

Pre dreadnought battleships had bulbous bows, The captain was only joking about the fag. Try to watch this for entertainment value, it's not a documentary. John
Old 9th January 2011, 16:43

Come on lads You will be expecting Coronation Street to be like a real back street next !!

Pete
Old 9th January 2011, 17:13
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1956 - 1973

Coronation Street

Hello Peter, And all these years I thought it was. John.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:13
Department: Pilotage

Captain George Steele was my great uncle, he was staff captain on the Laconia, I have read he was on the bridge wing with the Master as the ship went down, makes me proud to be part of the MN !,& makes me wonder how I would have felt if I were in his position.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:09

Hello to all

Having just found this thread after googling Laconia to find out more about her, I found it quite interesting to see that most of you didn't think the two part drama was up to much.

I have just been reading other peoples views on other various sites/forums and most people found it really enjoyable, and interesting as did myself.

But then I realised that most of you, maybe all, know much more than your average Joe about life at sea and all that sails on it. So I can understand some of you being disappointed, if the exact paper wasn't used in the telegram or if the life boats weren't attached properly ( can't remember the exact quote) But whilst most of you are being picky,( and maybe rightly so given your knowledge)

What you have to understand is the drama did the job it set out to do, it informed people of an incident that a lot of people including myself didn't even know happened and furthermore it actually portrayed a German officer to be humane,( which you have to admit is a first for a Jew owned TV company)

So I just thought I would give my two pence worth, hope you don't mind me barging in.

Thanks Gilly.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:10

My location
Hear hear, Gilly, very well put! Up untill that TV programme, I hadn't heard about the Laconia either, so the programme did it's job. I managed to watch the second half on BBC Wales last night.

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Old 10th January 2011, 00:28

Lol Thanks Coastie,

I re-read my post after and thought they will think I am a right bossy sod.

I didn't mean it to come across that way if that is the case.

Yeah, I managed to catch the second half on iplayer last night, so for anyone who missed it, I think iplayer keeps it on for 20 days.

I thought it was interesting, I know i'ts not everyones cup of tea, but it beats all the other rubbish that's on TV.

Thanks, Gilly
Old 10th January 2011, 00:48

My location
Quite true! I even chose to watch Laconia instead of Casualty last night!!

Old 10th January 2011, 00:53
Active: 1936 - 1986

Gilly,
Many thanks for barging in with your comments - just what I needed to prompt
me into entering this thread..
I served in the merchant navy for 20 years from 1936 -including the war years..
I sailed as AB and Bosun in tramps and tankers of various companies.
I experienced being bombed and being torpedoed and having six days in a lifeboat in the South Atlantic..
I found a few faults in the film but I decided to belay commenting..
Now you have placed it in its proper context..
We should thank the author and producer for showing a tragedy which was
experienced by many merchant seamen.
Most people are unaware of the services which the merchant navy provided
during the war and also they are unaware of the great sacrifices made.
We were involved in the longest battle during the war - it was the Battle of the
Atlantic and it lasted six long years...
We lost 32,000 seamen - that is one in three killed,of our total manpower. RIP.
Thankyou again Gilly,
Best regards
Stan
Old 10th January 2011, 11:03
Active: 1974 - 1986

Well said Gilly.
I hadn't heard of this story until this drama was aired.
Having since watched the documentry in which survivors recounted their experiences it would appear that the drama did follow pretty much what actually happened. Yes, holes can be picked in certain aspects of the programme, but I enjoyed watching it.

Bob