Sugar Boats - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sugar Boats

User Tag List

Old 1st May 2012, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuckham View Post
geo pirie went into stevies when sugar line was farmed out
George Pirie is my dad, now 88 but still very much with us, living in Helensburgh with a view of the river. Did 7 or 8 years with Stevenson Clark after Sugar Line called it a day. Went with him on a couple of trips to Jamaica and Barbados in the late 70's when I was a nipper. Sugar Transporter and Sugar Refiner looked like the biggest things floating to an 8 year old. Glad I was able to experience those last days of the British sugar ships and my dad's life on them.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I did one trip on the Sugar Crystal and that was more than enough.I couldn`t sign off quick enough,the stand by Catering Superintendent said to me`I believe you`ve been drinking with the crew`damn right I had been,the Cook and the 2AB`s I`d befriended were more interested in visiting Osaka Castle and watching the the samurai display than catching syphilis like one of the officers did!I left that boat with little other than a great sense of relief.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:20

Good thread this one. Well done to all the contributors.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:42

Re thread#27
The more I think about it and I only did after posting this thread,who the hell did they think they were?Complaining about my drinking with`the crew`I thought we were all `the crew`.Don`t get the idea I was down the pig getting shitfaced.I simply preferred the company of the Geordie cook who had lived in Canada and loved wildfowling,the AB Roger Elsey who shared my love of music and could play great guitar and the other AB whose name escapes me but was a lovely lad.Apart from the Electrician who joined Whitco when I did or a Junior Engineer who also played guitar I had absolutely nothing in common with the other officers.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:04
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirie View Post
George Pirie is my dad, now 88 but still very much with us, living in Helensburgh with a view of the river. Did 7 or 8 years with Stevenson Clark after Sugar Line called it a day. Went with him on a couple of trips to Jamaica and Barbados in the late 70's when I was a nipper. Sugar Transporter and Sugar Refiner looked like the biggest things floating to an 8 year old. Glad I was able to experience those last days of the British sugar ships and my dad's life on them.
hi pirie, sailed with your dad in the sugar exporter in 71, what a gentleman, he was one of those masters who you had no bother in meaning it when you called him sir.
he sailed with my stepfather eddie moses and was a great friend of him and my mother ada
i seem to remember that frank gillard, who was mentioned in another posting was chief steward with us, another good shipmate

my memory played me false, this other good shipmate was frank morrell

give your dad my best regards

joe b

Last edited by joebuckham; 4th May 2012 at 19:39.. Reason: wrong name
Old 7th May 2012, 09:33

Did Frank Gillard become the catering superintendent?
Old 9th March 2013, 14:12

Hi Dave jm , I sailed with a captain lunn on crystal sapphire 1969 and maiden voyage on sugar transporter , I knew him as captain A Lunn from Norfolk I believe , I we talking of the same captain ?.
Old 9th March 2013, 15:08

Spent 6 years with Stricks, loading for the Persian Gulf at the start of every voyage. Wanting a change I was offered a third mate's job on the "Crystal Sapphire". Was then offered, what I thought, was a better option and wasn't I glad ! The sugar boat was to load a full cargo of pipes to, yes you've got it, the Persian Gulf !
Old 9th March 2013, 21:51

That must have been really bad luck , but no matter what a lot of seaman ever said about sugar line on the negative side the food on the tate and lyle ships was brilliant , any seamen out there agree with that . Barry Fuller
Old 9th March 2013, 22:09

Barry Fuller asst steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
I did one trip on the Sugar Crystal and that was more than enough.I couldn`t sign off quick enough,the stand by Catering Superintendent said to me`I believe you`ve been drinking with the crew`damn right I had been,the Cook and the 2AB`s I`d befriended were more interested in visiting Osaka Castle and watching the the samurai display than catching syphilis like one of the officers did!I left that boat with little other than a great sense of relief.
Find that incredible , I sailed on the sugar crystal from 1971 to 1972 what a fantastic ship it was , went everywhere all over the world , maybe it was I was only a steward and not an officer , I think in those days the catering staff and deck crew had it so much better than the rest , lovely jubley !!!
Old 10th March 2013, 11:34

Hi Paddy,

Sailed on the Sugar Producer and the Sugar Refiner, both good jobs.
The trip on the Sugar Refiner was the best of the two, great crowd both Ratings and Officers.

I think most of the lads on here would be honest and say, that even in the good companies you sometimes got a duff job, I know I have.

Theirs an old saying, " its not the ship its the people in her".

Best Regards

Yuge
Old 10th March 2013, 13:00

True Locking Splice,in 10 years it was the only`duff job`otherwise I wouldn`t have mentioned it
Old 10th March 2013, 15:05

Hi Alan,

It was good if you could be on a one to one basis with Officers and Ratings, and luckily I sailed with many Officers who I got on well with and at times and on the odd occasions shared a beer and good conversation, and sometimes the association was frowned upon by others, but those people were insignificant back then and still are to me now.
Seemed like you just got the wrong crowd on that one.

Remember two French Super Cargo's on a cargo ship I sailed in, one was a Chief Officer and the other a Bosun from the French chartering company, I got on well with both during the trip, probably as I had some French and knew there home port Dunkirk very well. At our last loading port the French Chief Officer invited me up to the Officers Bar for a beer to say thanks for my help, it was about three in the morning and we had just finished battening down. I was about half way through my beer, when the old man appeared at the bar door in his dressing gown, and told me to get out of his bar and back to my own accommodation. Which I did, I felt sorry for the French Super Cargo's, but hey ho, before they flew home they left me a case of Beer in my cabin with a note of thanks and apology.

Best Regards

Yuge
Old 16th April 2013, 10:05

My location
sailed in sugar transporter 1963-west indies & uk.1963 sugar producer lon -Rotterdam-porto rica-british Guiana-uk.sugar refiner-lon-Fowey-Philadelphia-w/indes-new Orleans-w/indies-uk.1965 sugar carrier-lon-belize-montreal-cape Breton is-mexico-Houston-bunkers w/indies-cape town-Durban-Lorenzo marques-Dakar-uk,good company,good tucker,accom good .
Old 16th April 2013, 16:44

Barry Fuller( paddy123)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAPOT View Post
sailed in sugar transporter 1963-west indies & uk.1963 sugar producer lon -Rotterdam-porto rica-british Guiana-uk.sugar refiner-lon-Fowey-Philadelphia-w/indes-new Orleans-w/indies-uk.1965 sugar carrier-lon-belize-montreal-cape Breton is-mexico-Houston-bunkers w/indies-cape town-Durban-Lorenzo marques-Dakar-uk,good company,good tucker,accom good .
Hi teapot , was on sugar transporter maiden voyage in 1970 to 1971 obviously a different transporter than the one you sailed on , yes the food was great , always had a full belly on those ships . Regards Barry Fuller . P S . Was last in oz in 1972 Sydney Melbourne etc etc.
Old 17th April 2013, 01:16

My location
hi paddy,yes mate she was blt 1955,sank in the Baltic as finnish owned malmi.
cpt lunn was her captain,good bloke.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:33

Barry Fuller( paddy123)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAPOT View Post
hi paddy,yes mate she was blt 1955,sank in the Baltic as finnish owned malmi.
cpt lunn was her captain,good bloke.
Hi teapot , that's a coincidence , when I was on the newer transporter the captain was Andrew Lunn from Norfolk , and that transporter sank at anchorage in 1991 , I wonder if it was the same captain , the one I sailed with was a good bloke as well , new his wife as well , lovely lady , I notice from your heading the Aussie flag , what part do you live? Paddy 123.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:19

Sailed with Captain Lunn on the Sugar Producer, a really nice bloke, believe he crossed the bar many many years ago.

Regards

Yuge
Old 17th April 2013, 13:21

Barry Fuller ( paddy123)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locking Splice View Post
Sailed with Captain Lunn on the Sugar Producer, a really nice bloke, believe he crossed the bar many many years ago.

Regards

Yuge
Hi locking splice , captain Lunn who I sailed with was a big man and senior captain for sugar line , I am sure we are all talking of the same man. Regards barry fuller .
Old 17th April 2013, 16:16

Hi Barry,

Sounds like the same guy, that was back in 76.

Regards
Yuge
Old 17th April 2013, 20:29

Barry Fuller (paddy123)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locking Splice View Post
Hi Barry,

Sounds like the same guy, that was back in 76.

Regards
Yuge
Hi locking splice , another mate I have found on this site , and I didn't even sail with you , any stories you have let me know, wish you all the luck in the world mate , Regards Barry Fuller (paddy123) .
Old 18th April 2013, 01:21

My location
hi paddy,came to oz 69,joined royal ausyralian airforce(marine section),was at Newcastle for a while on the 63ft airsea rescue craft,i think one of the new sugar boats berthed,i know the Washington_stevvy clarks did iwas invited on board very impressed,i now live in south perth w.a.
Old 18th April 2013, 01:32

My location
hi all ex sugar boat guys,sugar transporter,captain lunn.
sugar refiner-captain Cassidy.
sugar producer-cant make out name in discharge book.
sugar carrier-captain moses.
did a hme trade on tintagel castle the chef sailed on sugar refiner the trip iwas on,food on the refiner was great,food on the castle boat was not,strange.
Old 24th December 2015, 15:25
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
I had a bit of a run in with a Captain Glover who was the superintendent responsible for the radio fits aboard the Sugar Line ships.

It would be late 1960s or early 1970s and I was sent down to their latest newbuilding that was paying a courtesy/publicity visit to the London river (can't remember where, but I believe Tilbury). It was fitted with an early installation of the 'Argonaut S' solid state, all-channel VHF. This was the SRA ME-30 VHF from Svenska Radio AB in Sweden, re-badged for Marconi. As the person responsible for technical liaison with the factory, I was sent down to the ship on sailing day to check that all was OK before departure on her maiden voyage.

Whilst I was on board, Captain Glover arrived on the bridge accompanied by a party of teenage schoolgirls who were being shown round the Company's newest vessel. He proceeded to explain to them the purpose of each item of equipment on the bridge, eventually making his way across to where I was.

He pointed to the VHF and announced that he was having this heap of rubbish removed because it was not capable of meeting Sugar Line's requirements and he had been defrauded by Marconi Marine. He said that the salesman had told him that the new design would be capable of keeping watch on three channels at once, but when it was delivered, he learned that it had the capability of watching only two channels.

I pointed out that the product that offered sequential watch on three channels had been abandoned in development and that its replacement had been restricted to sequential (not simultaneous) watch on two scanned channels. The decision to limit the scanning was taken because a number of overseas administrations refused to accept the use of more than two-channel watch, on the grounds that it detracted from the requirements to keep a continuous watch on Channel 16. I also pointed out that the equipment was only rented and that the terms of the contract included a penalty for early cancellation.

'I don't want to hear any more lying rubbish from Marconi's,' was his response, 'I want it off my ship, I am having a Redifon VHF fitted.' He then smirked at the admiring party of girls, who were suitably impressed by this display of power. I said, 'Certainly Captain Glover, I will attend to it at once.' I swear he grew a couple of inches taller.

The VHF was designed for rapid replacement of units; everything was on plug & socket. So as he continued with his tour of the ship I, and the East Ham technician with me, quickly dismantled the VHF installation and carried it down to the car. I drove to East Ham office then rang the Contracts department and told them what had happened. They asked me to wait whilst they contacted the owners for confirmation and to warn them that their vessel would not be able to sail without a type-approved VHF.

Shortly afterwards Contracts called back to let me know that Captain Glover had misunderstood the situation, that the owners fully accepted that they had been properly informed of the changed facilities on the VHF and had confirmed their acceptance in writing. They wished to have the equipment replaced and offered to pay for any additional costs incurred.

So I went back to the ship and refitted and retested the gear. No sign of the girls but Captain Glover made a brief appearance to say that it had all been a mistake and he hoped that there were no hard feelings.

Are you serious? And was I narked when I later learned that the Contracts department had waived the additional costs?

The ship sailed on the tide late that afternoon, we never received a cancellation and as far as I know the VHF was still there when she went for scrap.

I don't know anything more about Captain Glover, whether he had been in command or if his title was an assumed one, as was sometimes the case with shore staff. I don't think I would have enjoyed sailing under his command,
Anyone know more?
I was told that he did one trip as Master before becoming marine super. I got on all right with him but their were a few run ins.When I was doing Orals in Liverpool in 1977 it turned out that the Examiner had been Chief Mate with Sugar Line, fallen out with Glover and had a lot to say about it!

Last edited by George Bis; 24th December 2015 at 15:45..
Old 24th December 2015, 16:10
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirie View Post
Sailed with George twice and he was a smashing bloke. An officer and gentleman