Argentinean Submarine ARA San Juan is lost with 37 men on board. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
15:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Argentinean Submarine ARA San Juan is lost with 37 men on board.

User Tag List

Old 14th December 2017, 16:01

The last point of contact was well North of the Falkland Islands (aka Las Malvinas). and probably well outside any disputed sea area.

The course of the boat, which has been published at the time, showed that it did edge on the Falkland economic zone. It would be logical for them to do so and for any British vessel or aircraft to have a look - If it was travelling on the surface.
Old 16th December 2017, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I saw a report today that some relatives of the crew are claiming that the sub had been hunted by a British helicopter and a Chilean Navy surface ship after it strayed close to the Falklands shortly before it was lost.
Apparently MOD deny there are any anti submarine helos based in the Falklands.
Talk about false news; I saw a news item on here that told of UK purchase of Israeli Iron Dome missile defense system for deployment in the Falklands. I do wish that I had made a note of the source as I have not seen any further mention of it. I thought it to be a spoof and, I guess it was. Unless the price of wool has hit record highs.
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:55
Active: 1981 - Present

There is a lot of talk now that the ARA San Juan possibly collided with the tanker Hai Gong You 309? So far this is NOT confirmed. The hull of the oil products tanker has not been inspected yet.

For anybody interested take a look at this twitter timeline. This guy is very involved in providing updates, and has access to a marinetraffic AIS account.

https://twitter.com/MikeChillit

IMO: 9153214

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...I_GONG_YOU_309
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:54
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Israeli Iron Dome missile defense system
\

No but US have bought some for South Korea.

geoff
Old 29th December 2017, 03:46
Active: 1981 - Present

U.S. Participation in Search for Sunken Argentine Submarine Ends

https://news.usni.org/2017/12/27/u-s...ine-ends-today